Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on October 16, 2004
Now I understand why Adriana Trigiani has been able to write 4 best selling fiction novels, that are filled with lovable, quirky and charming characters. She comes from a family that is both lovable and charming and full of life. This is evident from the very first page of Cooking with My Sisters.

In addition to a cookbook full of delicious recipes you'll find gorgeous photographs of the food, mixed in with old family photos and anecdotes.

This is a book that you can use not only to cook up a great dish with, but curl up on the couch with and savor each and every page because it has so much more then just recipes to offer. As her sister Mary Yolanda says in the afterword, "I hope that in this complicated world, every family can find a treasure to share passionately and graciously, and to laugh over, for the dear ones here now and those who surely will follow."

Thanks to the Trigiani women for sharing some of their treasures with us!
0Comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2004
I purchased this book because of a segment I watched on NBC's weekend morning show. The author spoke of her book and demonstrated a recipe or two. I though it would be a nice addition to my cookbook collection, however I was extremely disappointed.

This book is overloaded with stories and family photos rather than recipes and photos of the prepared dishes.

Coming from an Italian family I can tell you that the recipes in this book are a bit bland. I was disappointed to read the recipe for tomato sauce, calling for garlic powder as opposed to fresh, crushed garlic!
44 comments36 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2004
I am very impressed with "Cooking With My Sisters" since it is not only a beautifully composed book but one that taught even me

a thing or two. The recipes for dishes I am familiar with and many that I've cooked over the years, are still welcome since

there are, in some cases, interesting variations to my usual preparation. The pictures of the "finished products" are so life-like I reached for a fork. They smell wonderful, too!

The helpful hints throughout are great! Who among us can't use

a clue or two?

The inclusion of family photos and notes from Nonna are delightful and give this presentation a personal touch. While I enjoy cookbooks showing beautiful Italian scenery, I enjoy even more "meeting" the people who were involved in creating all of this good food. Italian families exude love through their food and "Cooking With My Sisters" is FILLED with love!
0Comment21 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2006
I married into an Italian-American family. This book describes the complexities and joys of being Italian-American and the little quirks are hilarious. It's a joy to read and the recipies are wonderful.....easy to follow, ingredients you usually have available and after trying a few recipes will even impress your Italian mother in law! Also, LOVED the photos and letters from 'grand-mom'.

Another winner from Adriana Trigiani!
on October 15, 2004
Bestsellling author Adriana Trigiani's latest book is, in one word, delicious! Within its pages are the entertaining, touching and oftentimes hilarious stories of life as a Trigiani sister.

COOKING WITH MY SISTERS follows the Trigiani family from Italy to America and then to the mountains of Virginia, into the bustling family's home base --- the kitchen. From page one, you become part of the Trigiani family and are welcomed into their home, their hearts and, best of all, their kitchens! Mixed in with the rich stories of family and tradition are wonderful, easy-to-follow Trigiani family recipes, each one seasoned with the wisdom passed down from the Trigiani family matriarchs, Grandmom Trigiani and Grandma Lucy. You become one of the "sisters" in learning about the importance of quality ingredients, proper techniques, and the art of making your guests feel like family.

Throughout the births, confirmations, weddings and deaths in the Trigiani family, food has been the constant that connects one generation to the next. Whether making Easter bread or wedding cookies, canning tomatoes with Grandmom Trigiani or making fresh pasta with Dad, the Trigianis really get into the meat and potatoes of this Italian-American family. This familial bond strengthened through good times, and good food is a generous gift that Trigiani shares with us throughout her book. My copy is now smudged with some of the ingredients of a few of my newfound favorites.

COOKING WITH MY SISTERS reminds us of old-fashioned values and of times well spent with family around the kitchen table. It brings into focus the importance of the family dinner, where parents and children eat together and learn from one another. It reminds us of life before time-management, when productivity levels ruled our days and fast food filled our dinner tables. It is a feast of family stories, traditions and values that are almost extinct in today's warp speed world.

There is no better feeling than relaxing after a good meal, and COOKING WITH MY SISTERS has the perfect combination of ingredients that will satisfy the cook and book lover in everyone. I'm sure you'll be asking for a second helping!

--- Reviewed by Jill McAfee (jill@lehualani.com)
0Comment14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2005
I come from a not very close small family. I always enjoy reading about adult siblings that are still close. I have four children and now that they are in their thirties, they are getting closer and family get togethers are more fun. I enjoyed the recipes and especially the tips. I love Adrianna Trigiani and her books and now I feel a little more insightful about her writing. Makes me want to do some Italian cooking with my own brood.
on October 2, 2006
I come from a close knit Italian family. I am third generation but all of my Grandparents and their friends are immigrants. It was soooooo much fun reading this book because it reminded me of my family and the food and the love and the fun. As I was browsing through it again last night I went to sleep with the thought that I had been truly blessed to have been raised this way as I am sure Adrianna feels as well. I would love to meet them all. Oh and by the way the recipes are SUBERB as well.
on January 9, 2007
Before I even tried the recipes I read the narrative part of the book and enjoyed all of the family pictures. I felt I got to know the author's whole family. I noted similarities in some of my mom's recipes (Sicilian) and some of my Grandmother's (Abruzza) recipes. I marked the recipes that I want to try. My daughters and I share cooking together as part of our close family relationship so I related well to this book. Not only is it a good recipe book but it is also a good read.
on October 24, 2013
Enjoying this book both for the read, and for the recipes. And what really put a big smile on my face was the mention of Aruba, twice, in a little note from grandma Viola that was inserted in the book. Aruba is my home, where I love to cook, including Italian dishes, and I already picked a few favorites from this book to try out soon.
on February 25, 2010
Just like her novels, this cookbook is interwoven with many family stories. I haven't cooked many of her recipes but the Marinara sauce and lasange recipes are amazing. She is not an author trying to write a cookbook to meet publisher demands, it truly is a work worthy of reading as if it is one of her novels.