5.0 out of 5 stars No Pressure, Pressure Cooking!
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Published on December 10, 2000 by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars expectations too high
The recipes work and are tasty. Wish there was more meat recipes. My friend had built up Lorna Sass as the "inventor of pressure cooking". Not really fair to Lorna. My friend is vegetarian. By contrast, I grew up on a cattle ranch. The recipes are excellent as far as it goes.
Published 18 months ago by sharin101

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pressure, Pressure Cooking!, December 10, 2000
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your mother didn't teach you to use a pressure cooker.., May 3, 2000
G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
get this book. I had heard that pressure cookers were the microwave ovens of the 50's. Then after several people blew them up by overloading them they lost favor. I borrowed one from a friend and bought this book. After making chilli in 20 minutes, and lentil soup in 10. I was a convert.
I now own 2 cookers, one really large one (16qt)for making spagetti sauce and stew, and one medium large one (8qt) for soups.
The one thing the book doesn't really cover, is that once the top is on, there is no stiring, (duh!) So if you leave it on high heat, it can burn the thick sauce recipes. So I always heat the mixture until just to simmering, lock the lid on and then cut the heat to medium. It takes a minute or two longer for the pressure to come up but I rarely burn soup any more.
Also, if you haven't bought a pot, get a big one, when you fill a pressure cooker, you only fill it 1/2 way. So a 8qt pot, is really good for 4qts of soup. If you have time shop estate sales. That's where I got mine. The pots last a long time, and many who cooked in the 50's will have one that is just fine. (You can get new seals from the presto company.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to pressure cooker cooking; super recipes!, March 25, 1997
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
Pressure cooking is, unfortunately, very misunderstood. This book should go a long way towards changing that. It presents an excellent range of recipes, well organized and written, and every one of which we've tried has been fabulous. Because of the speed and flavor, we've been pressure cooker fans for three years, and this book opened our eyes to new possibilities. Ms. Sass's taste in spiciness tends to be a little milder than ours, but once you see where she's coming from, it's very easy to adjust. We'll try the vegetarian version of the book, too

5.0 out of 5 stars If more stars were available . . ., October 1, 2003
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
I cannot praise this book too highly. As a long-time cook,but novice pressure cook, I found Ms. Sass's recipes simple to follow, and always as promised. Delicious doesn't begin to describe her Mushroom Barley Soup, which she correctly bills as the same comfort food that is served at Ratner's Restaurant. I grew up in NYC, and ate often at that landmark, and my family has patiently tolerated my frequent references to how scrumprious that particular soup was--well--I just produced it, courtesy of Lorna Sass, in my own pressure cooker (Kuhn-Rikon, also divine to use). The risotto with leeks, mushrooms and olives is also noteworthy, but I am confident that all these recipes are. This book, as well as The Pressured Cook, also by Sass, are all anyone needs to produce exceptionally satisfying dishes made with wholesome ingredients, and ready quickly. The portions are generous, and the introductions to each recipe are accurate, informative and inspiring. If more stars were available, I would award them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food FAST, November 25, 1999
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
We've tried nearly every meatless recipe in this book and, with the single exception of "peanut butter-carrot soup" (yes, you read that right!), they've been exceptionally good. One of the best things is how quickly all can be prepared. You can go from deciding to cook a bean dish for dinner to eating that same bean dish in well under an hour. No more overnight pre-soaks! The recipes are all easy to prepare and are really delicious. I'm getting copies for my mom and sister for Christmas! (Psst -- don't tell 'em!)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made a believer out of me, August 12, 1998
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
As a newcomer to pressure cooking, i need'ed some where to start, and someone to give me the basic's of pressure cooking. I went to my local book store, and the sales person suggested this book over a dozen others on the subject. It is not only a easy read, but is is full of more information then you will ever need. The recipes are great and written so that anyone can start cooking right away, and turn out a great meal in minutes. This will always be number one on my cook book list Thank you for helping me on my way to better and healthier cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pressure cooking bible for the novice and experienced, June 29, 1999
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought this book in 1997 to learn about pressure cooking. Now I use it to adapt my Latina recipes to fast pressure cooking. I've made Ropa Vieja (Flank Steak) (25 minutes under pressure), Black Bean Soup (35 minutes under pressure), Coconut Bread Pudding (15 minutes under pressure), and Flan (an amazing 15 minutes under pressure).
Though these recipes are not in Ms. Sass' book, you can easily adapt your favorite recipes by following her guidelines and expertise.
A must-have book for all busy cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to new pressure cooker owners!, August 3, 2010
I count myself as someone who loves being in the kitchen, creating delicious meals for my family. I am also a gadget person, and love adding new items to the kitchen. However, I'm very picky about bringing new items in, because I have limited space. So I want my gadgets to have multiple uses. Since I work full-time, I started investigating pressure cookers to get meals on the table quicker after a long day at work. I knew nothing about them, and knew that I needed a book that would not only teach me the basics on using the pressure cooker, but also have lots of good tasting recipes that I could work my way through while learning to best use the PC.

I read lots of reviews and decided on Lorna's book Cooking Under Pressure. I actually bought the book before my pressure cooker, so I would make a better purchase. Her style of writing was very easy to follow, and I had my cooker put together and was testing the boiling point in no time! With her coaching, I knew that I had the basics of operation down before I put my first food item into the cooker.

To date, I have tested quite a few of the recipes. I was having guests over for dessert one night, and made the cheesecake, and followed the directions carefully. I didn't substitute and ingredients, nor mis-time recipe. However, the cheesecake didn't set up properly. I found Lorna's web site and shot off a quick note asking if there was a chat room or message board that I could post my problem on, hit send, and hoped I would get a response from the webmaster. I was thrilled to check my email later THAT SAME DAY, to find that Lorna had personally emailed me back with a couple of questions, and then specific instructions on how to improve the cheesecake next time.

I had noticed that most of my items did take longer to cook than the recipe stated, so we think the problem is my cooker isn't pressurizing to 9 pounds. I'll just have to cook my dishes for 30% longer now. That's great service: post a question and get a same day response!

With the pressure cooker, you are cooking all the ingredients in the same pot, so despite the recipes directions, I always brown the meat for better flavor. I've made meats, vegetables and desserts so far. Each time I put the food on the table, I marvel at how quickly it was cooked. Plus, it tastes wonderful!

This is the book if you want to learn how to safely use a pressure cooker, and then get started on learning how quickly foods cook, how to properly plan a recipe, then bring something fast and nutritious to the table. Once you have the basics down, courtesy of Lorna, the world is your oyster. Don't be afraid to make changes and perfect each dish to your own taste. That's the skill that having Cooking Under Pressure will give you. Stick with her recipes and make delicious dishes, or venture out on your own, and make delicious dishes. It's truly a win, win situation!

5.0 out of 5 stars The pressure cooker bible, December 17, 2002
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've used this cookbook since I started cooking with a pressure cooker seven years ago, the recipes are consistently reliable and delicious. I've given this book along with a pressure cooker as wedding presents to my two brothers who are now both avid pressure cooker chefs. I've also adapted recipes of my own, my mother has a holiday red cabbage recipe,cooked like Lorna Sass' own red cabbage recipe it now it takes 5 minutes to cook instead of 1 1/2 hours and doesn't make the house smell of cabbage. I'm looking forward to buying some of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for novices with wonderful recipes, November 2, 1998
This review is from: Cooking under Pressure (Hardcover)
I was always afraid of pressure cookers, but this book sold me on them. All the recipes I have tried are great; my children will eat them too. For me it has the ease of a crockpot, but without having to prepare the ingredients in the morning. I highly recommend this book. It also is a good introduction to vegetarian cooking.

Cooking under Pressure
Cooking under Pressure by Lorna J. Sass (Hardcover - November 15, 1989)
Used & New from: $0.20