4.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome!
I played two sessions of SDE last night and had a ton of fun. The game play is fast and lots of fun, but still allows for a great deal of planning and teamwork.

Published on December 19, 2011 by Jake Richmond

2.0 out of 5 stars Cost, Time of Setup, and Instructions are Negitives
My son just bought this game this past weekend at a comic convention. The company was showing the game and had it for 100.00 which is extremely steep for a board game. You would think they would offer some show price to encourage adoption. We got it at another booth for less.

Published 1 month ago by jond

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome!, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)

- The models are well designed and fairly easy to put together, although they do require glue! I've seen some people complain that the models are not simple snap together kits or single piece miniatures. This is totally true, so please don't expect to play right out of the box. Assembly will probably take 1-3 hours.

- The rest of the components are colorful and well made, although the cards are slightly thinner than I would have liked. Once put in sleeves (which I would recommend to avoid wear)this ceases to be a problem.

- The rules are intuitive and easy to learn, but... there are a lot of them. We were still discovering new rules at the end of our second game. The rules all seem to work well, in in most cases are intuitive and a lot of fun, but expect to be half way through a game and realize that you've been using magic, or potions or status effects wrong. The lack of an index makes it difficult to find answers. On the other hand, we made it through two enjoyable games without these problems slowing is down, and I expect that now that we have a better understanding of the game we'll enjoy it a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pros & Cons, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
Tired, and people are usually impatient readers, so I'm just doing bullet points.

Pros:
-Unique dice system that uses custom dice, I rather like it.
-Gorgeous, beautiful models, even unpainted
-5 different map tiles, double sided for ten total sides. Arrange them clustered or in a long hallway... up to you!
-Good Variety of Heroes
-Good Combat system and item system
-Very Expandable
-A blast to play

Cons:
-Assembly (it is easy assembly, but some are hard (Mage, Dragon))
-Lack of Variety for the Consul (you basically get Kobolds and Dragon-minions)
-Awkward rulebook (read it again after playing once... you will notice at least 4 things you missed)
-Not a real Dungeon-Crawler (quests, objectives, keys, doors etc are lacking.. just kill everything)

Notes re: Cons
-Assembly IS easy! It's slotted! Be happy it's not Warhammer migraine-inducing minis
-Variety for the consul will be solved by future expansions (planned for 2012) or you can introduce your own minis
-Not much you can do about the Rulebook :(
-Making it into a Dungeon Crawler is easy... buy a 1inch squares battle mat (usually you can write on them with dry or wet erase) and make your own dungeons, you can add your own rules for doors, add objectives etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
I'll start by saying that this is the first board game I have purchased.

I love it! So much fun with a few friends, it plays like an old-school JRPG. You will spend about 3-4 hours putting all the pieces together, and your first game will probably take you 4 hours to get through since the rules are somewhat vague. At first we were extremely confused but we hit up google and found some forum posts that explain the game better.

If you don't have ~8 hours to learn and setup the game, don't bother.. but you will be missing out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even good for two people, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
I was a little afraid that this would be a waste since only my wife and I play. I'm sure it is more fun with 6 people, but it is a blast even with 2 people.
The quality is fantastic and assembling the models is worth it in the end.
Even for two people, the replay value is great. We've played 3 times so far at different Bit levels and each time is different.
Granted, the rules can be hard to understand at times, but it isn't a big deal. You play, you realize later you played wrong, so you play right the next time. It isn't like the game is less fun because you got a rule wrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cost, Time of Setup, and Instructions are Negitives, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)

First, I'm a Technical Writer by trade and I hate when instruction manuals are poorly written. This one is horrible. It starts of mentioning a simple "8-bit" starter setup for the game but seemingly forgets about the starter game a paragraph or two later. There are no references to images, callouts etc. which make for a difficult manual to parse. A lot of guesswork here. We had to go back to the vendor the next day and fill in the voids in the instructions.

Second, there is no mention that the figures need glue, but they clearly do (in fact the guy in the booth said so after the fact) to be put together. So, you will spend a considerable time putting the figures together before you can play. That's where we are at.

I haven't played the game yet, but will follow-up after we do to see if it was worth the steep price.

ADDITION on 6/27:

Found the 1.5 rules online in the form of a .PDF. I'm not sure exactly what changes in these rules, but they equally horribly written as the 1.0 rules. They use terms like Consul and 8-Bit without explaining what they mean (which is a big pet peeve) and don't really guide you through a beginning game, but sort of jump around trying to explain a lot of different things out-of-context. I will say here that often when I talk to other gamers about rules that are poorly defined they will say something like "these games are meant to be open and you can define the rules as you like." I think that's a cop out and basically a way of acknowledging that we accept the poor quality for expensive games such as these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, terrible instruction booklet, September 7, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
With instructions written this vague and poorly, thank god for Google. I borrowed this game from a friend over the weekend and, while it has potential, it was extremely frustrating to figure it all out. The other reviews seem to hit on the pros and cons pretty well, so I'll give my summary:

Pros - high replayability, seems like it would be great with more people. Minis are nicely done and game overall is a good idea. Game seems to pace itself well and, when you have a Consul who knows the game back and forth, this game could really shine.

Cons - did I mention the instructions were just confusing? Perhaps I overthink things, but I was left with far too many questions and, due to lack of explanations, had to consult a youtube video review to figure out how to set it up. With some wording changes and pictures all the confusion could likely be cleared right up, but it's unfortunate they didn't get more feedback before going to print. Playing as the 'Consul' or whatever (the bad guy, if you were confused like me) was downright difficult to keep track of the first game, with so many rules and so many miniatures to keep track of. Takes more time than other board games to get the hang of, for sure. By the end of the weekend, with only two people, we didn't really get to the fun parts before having to give it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family game, June 22, 2013
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
We bought this game to play with our 2 teenage children and have had a great deal of fun playing it. The rules are fairly simple to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars SDE 8 bits of pwn, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
Another kobold warren down.. The valliant heroes have fought there way all the way to dragon. All that's left between them and victory is a fire breathing, tail swinging behemoth.

This is a great game. The video game theme rings true. Progress through difficulty modes such as "8 bit", 16 bit, and SUPER!

The figs by coolminiornot are cast in high quality druable plastic that takes paint very well. The chits are very sturdy and the boards look great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Fun Coop Game!, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
I played this at game last night at Comicazi in Somerville, MA. It was a lot of fun! They managed to make a game that really encourages people to work together. The characters you have to choose from are fun and funny. We had 5 players plus the console. I'm happy to say that we somehow managed to beat the console and slayed the dragon. I'd play this again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for a great price, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Super Dungeon Explore (Toy)
I was expecting all kinds of problems with this due to all the reviews on quality. I have to say some of them are true, but are more than worth dealing with to play an excellent game. :)

First the good:
-The game is the Second Edition, where they clarified several of the rules in the rulebook, and now includes an assembly guide for the figures.
-The game is super fun. Reminiscent of Gauntlet (kinda) and other dungeon romp video games, it feels fast, and the play style can give a sense of urgency, even though its just a board game. We've played it several times now and it only gets better.
-The quality and detail of the figures is higher than expected, and have been a pleasure to paint (although you can easily play with them unpainted).
-The cards, counters and boards printing is high quality. They used a good quality ink, and they smell good too! :)
-The dice included are very good quality and will stand up to the heavy playing they'll see.
-There is a growing group of active players online and in many communities. There is even several groups of players who are making their own boards which are very cool looking. Some are even making them to sell to others. Very cool.

Now the Bad:
-The rules are VERY front heavy, meaining you pretty much have to know all the rules up front to play. This could mean a very frustrating first game (or two). By the end of the first game, my group of 6 people were confused and dazed, but understood it better, and wanted to play again. I'd advise (if you can swing it) the first game or two just play three player with some of your more understanding friends. Once you have a handle on it, bring everyone else in.
-The boards are cardboard and have started to warp on the edges. Not enough to prevent you from playing, but just enough it could be annoying. This is a common complaint about this product, so there's a good chance it will effect most everyone.
-The counters in my set, while good quality, did not have their pictures centered on the cuts on one side, so the pictures are not aligned at all on one side.
-The dragon model is fairly difficult to put together. Several people are heating up the plastic (run hot water over it) to slightly bend it to make assembly easier (check the internet for instructions how to do it before you try it). I was able to assemble it without doing that, not really that bad, but a little tricky.
-If you plan on painting the figures, there is cleanup to do on almost every model to remove the mold lines. It will take several hours. Also, the plastic is such that it doesn't hold acrylic paint very well, and I found myself accidentally rubbing it off with normal handling during painting. They definitely need a varnish coat to protect the paint when you're done.

Now the Other:
-Assembly of the figures is required and can take an hour or two. This may or may not be bad (I enjoyed it). I used Gorilla Glue (a type of crazy glue) and it did an excellent job.
-The dragon's wings are susceptible to snapping off very easily, a problem with pretty much every dragon figurine from every game I've ever seen. Be careful.
-The figures come unpainted. This is good or bad. Good that you won't have to put up with mass market crappy paint jobs, bad if you wanted them pre-painted.

All in all, if you can get through assembly and one or two quirks of printing, this is a very fun game. A hobby to be sure.

Rate and Discover Movies