5.0 out of 5 stars Award Winner and At Top Of My List

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange romance story
Published on April 10, 2012 by JLL

5.0 out of 5 stars Award Winner and At Top Of My List, May 25, 2000
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
This book won the RITA award and deservedly so yet the publisher is out of stock on it. This is really a shame because this is one of the best romances I've ever read. I think it also could have been published as fiction but it's on the line genre-wise. It also combines suspense but without murdering anyone! It's a total original. This author will next be appearing on the Mystery section here, instead of romance, so keep her in view and track down her books, both past and forthcoming! Anne M. Marble, one of my FAVORITES here at Amazon, also reviews this book, so take the link at the top left of this page, to her site.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

4.0 out of 5 stars What length would you go for a mean sister?, May 13, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
Eddie Berlin was scared of life. He was Agoraphobic. He could not leave his land. The house was run down. The grass was tall. His car had been parked for so many years it had plants growing out of the broken back window. Once he had been a song writer for a famous rock star. But the star had been shot on stage just before releasing the latest song, Cool Shade. He died in Eddie's arms. Now Maddie shows up and Eddie must try to learn to control his phobia. Maddie Smith came to town with nothing but a suitcase of clothes, a beat up car, and her cat. She had come to find her sister. All she knew was that her sister had disapeared after someone named Eddie Berlin dumped her. ***Theresa Weir's story is powerful! No punches were held back. She shows that life is not always wonderful and heros are not always perfect.***

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was too short but marvelous nonetheless, February 6, 2004
V "readinganddreaming" (Tulsa, Ok, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
Theresa Weir is a distinct voice in romance writing. She writes atypical story lines with no cookie cutter romance characters. Her tales run deep and she gives us real people as her leads. Each Weir book I have read to date has positively affected me in some unique way. You want these people as your friends and can truly feel the trials and joys they experience. This author writes some of the best contemporary romances I have read. All I could find to complain about in Cool Shade is that the story was too short! It is only 258 pages and I usually prefer books that are at least 350 pages in length. I was sorry to see such a tender, moving story come to an end so suddenly.
Maddie Smith is a disc jockey without a job. She never seems to stay long in one place and actually enjoys moving around. So when her job in Arizona ends, she heads to Nebraska to see her estranged sister taking all her belongings and her cat with her. When she arrives at her sister's home, Maddie becomes concerned - it is obvious that she has disappeared. In searching for clues to her disappearance, she visits Eddie Berlin, a reclusive hunk who doesn't stray much further than his own front yard.
Eddie Berlin was the manager of famous rock musician who died after being shot at a concert. Eddie has become more and more withdrawn since the time of his friend's death. Now he can't seem to go out in public and has all of life's necessities delivered to his forty-acre farm. Eddie, despite his odd behavior, is quite a sexy and considerate guy. When a strange lady shows up in his front yard, falling flat on her face, Eddie is suspicious of her motives for coming to visit.
Cool Shade is a gentle drama of a budding romance between two very likable characters. Maddie exhibits a bit of odd behavior herself in the beginning but attraction develops anyway. Eddie and Maddie share a relationship neither is ready to acknowledge. There are no strong misunderstandings or cruel behavior from one to the other. It's just a great little romance story. The sensual scenes rate about a 3.75 out of 5.0 (see More About Me for rating guidelines).
This is my third Weir book and I will eagerly seek out more of her books to read. Unfortunately, some of those other books are also around 250 pages. But this is one author that I will allow a shorter story than I usually prefer because her books are just so dog gone good. Although Cool Shade and other of Weir's books are out of print, there are many used and even new copies available at bargain prices on this site and other internet stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and Intense, April 29, 2000
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my favorite Theresa Weir book -- and that's saying a lot because she's really good. She is not a typical romance writer. When her characters make a mistake, it's not because she's trying to make the book longer -- their mistakes grow out of their personalities.
If you like music, and sensitive heroes, and people with quirks, you'll love this book. There are lots of surprises and some big secrets.
I'm not sure which is more intense, the style or the love scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars So good, I wanted to read more, September 3, 2005
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
Even though this book did not have any mystery or intrigue in the plot to keep the suspense moving, the characters and the love story pulled me along. I couldn't put the book down until I had read the last page. Even then, I wanted more. It was the type of contemporary romance that you might see made into a movie aired on lifetime or maybe with a little more humor the big screen. It was touching and enjoyable to read. It is exactly the type of book you would want to read if you need to escape reality for a while and just get absorbed in romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read all year!, December 22, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was amazing. Just when I thought 1999 was going to be a big dud for me. I ordered Cool Shade and Bad Karma at the same time and read Bad Karma first, which was also a winner! But Cool Shade left me speechless! I loved this book. Original, exciting, sad, heartwarming. I can't say enough about this book. The characters and story were fabulous! And it even had some great sizziling sex scenes to boot! Bravo Ms. Weir.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange romance story, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Cool Shade (Kindle Edition)
Let me start off saying that I'd really give this more like 2.5 stars. I didn't hate the book and it fascinated me enough to keep me reading. The main characters are DEEPLY flawed, much more than you get in your average romance novel. That was ok with me. I actually kind of liked Eddie's character. He's clearly got serious mental health issues but he's a decent guy underneath it all. I enjoyed seeing him come out of his shell a bit and want to change his life. (And I liked that he needed professional intervention to do that--true mental illness isn't "cured" by love as other romance novels would have you believe.) I also enjoyed finding out about his past and the big revelation at the end, which I admit I didn't see coming. My problem with the book was that lots of stuff kept happening that didn't make any sense. The way the characters meet is just odd, and their second encounter is downright disturbing. I don't want to spoil things too much (and if you don't want ANY details stop now!), but she actually contracts to be a hooker. That's right, SHE sets it up with her sister's pimp (itself a totally weird sub-plot) to take the job--it's not some sort of crazy mix-up where he thinks she's a hooker but she's not. The situation and what she does when she gets there makes zero sense. Then there's a part of the book where he holds her captive in his house. Um, that's called assault, not falling in love. For a guy with severe anxiety and trust issues, he pretty much accepts her and her insane behavior right off the bat. And the plot line with the radio show and the mysterious caller she falls in love with...huh? How could she fall in love with someone she's never even spoken to with her real voice? And why doesn't she make any attempts to get to know the guy she's actually sleeping with in real life? The characters keep having weird, emotionally detached unprotected sex through the whole thing. I suppose that's how supremely screwed up human beings would act, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. In the end I wasn't sure I felt much of a relationship between them. Obviously they gave each other some measure of peace and seemed to have the potential for something more, but at the end of the book it felt like they were just barely starting to connect on a deeper emotional level. Interesting read, but not one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different... in a good way, April 15, 2004
This review is from: Cool Shade (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm tried of reading romance that have "the oh-so perfect" male lead character... this one actually has a problem. It was truly funny (which is rare to find in romances), and the author had wrote the story so well that it just kept you reading. It was the first book I've read of Theresa Weir and after reading it I tried to track down other books written by her. After reading some of her other books, I'ver realized that this is the best one. Don't miss out... this is a good read which is rare to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, December 13, 2011
This review is from: Cool Shade (Kindle Edition)
Honestly, I was feeling so frustrated with the books that I got in my kindle. Almost losing the desire to find some good read. Thanks goodness that Cool Shade was the next in my list! I enjoyed so much the characters. The story was sweet, entertaining and well written. My only complain it was that I wanted to read more about it. Indeed a very good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed characters/ a stunning book, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Cool Shade (Kindle Edition)
Written in 1998 this is an overlooked gem. It lulls you into a comfortable complacency then it grips and shocks with surprises. Maddie and Eddie are flawed characters. Can they really have any kind of relationship? Will there problems be insurmountable? These questions pop up throughout the reading.

The characterization here is so well done that you will feel like you know these people. Perhaps she is that young woman who lives across the street and he is that young man who you haven't seen in ages. Evelyn the landlady is like the woman down the block who is never out of her housecoat. We know all these characters and Weir is letting us into the part of their lives we always were curious about.

The slow beginning is a delightful counterpoint to the fast paced ending.

Cool Shade
Cool Shade by Theresa Weir (Mass Market Paperback - April 1998)
Used & New from: $0.01