Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cool Waters: 50 Refreshing, Healthy, Homemade Thirst Quenchers (50 Series)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 18, 2010
This book is packed with great recipes you can use for drinking water-healthful and delicious. The photographs are beautiful and inspired me to try more recipes. There are so many interesting fruit and herb combinations which have unique and addictive tastes. I bought a nice glass pitcher to show off the drinks. My monthly artist group loved the Squeeze of Citrus. I bought the book for a sister's birthday present and she really likes it too. Highly recommend if you're bored with plain water and/or you want to make your water healthier. You will need a very good blender, a juicer for citrus, and a very fine large metal sieve.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2009
What a terrific book. No more need to buy expensive designer waters or sodas. The recipes in Cool Waters are so easy to follow and taste great. If you are trying to diet, they are all healthy and satisfying. I love Apio Rey, which is just as good as Dr. Brown's Cel Ray soda but without the calories and cost. Check it out.
on December 10, 2012
Since Amazon recommended this book to purchase with a pitcher with built-in infuser, I expected this to be a book with flavor boosters for water. This is a book of juices diluted with water. Most of the ingredients are run through a blender and strained. Another thing to beware of is the exotic ingredients, you be the judge: rose water, lemongrass. blood oranges, fresh lychees, orange blossom water. fresh spearmint, ground ancho chile, fresh lavender leaves, fresh peppermint leaves, golden kiwis, coconut water, aloe vera leaf or juice, carambola, red Swiss chard, purple kale, fresh lemon balm leaves, goji berries, fresh lavender leaves, dried chamomile flowers, tamarind paste, dried hibiscus flowers, vanilla bean, juniper berries, star anise, Balinese long peppers, kaffir lime leaf, saffron threads, shiso leaves, fresh yuzu or bottled, Charentais melon, Thai basil leaves....seriously. Each recipe is written nicely and they do try to explain what these ingredients are. They also recommend foods to pair it with.
1212 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2010
This is a great book with wonderful recipes (50 to be exact) to flavor water with ingredients that are easy to find. Some recipes in the book are Squirt of citrus, pineapple and lime seltzer, honeydew-mint mist, rose water with lemon, blueberry twist, crimson dew, sweet tart, and mango ginger "beer" just to name a few. The book is hard cover and the pictures are beautiful.
on April 1, 2011
For medical reasons I have to limit my fluid intake, so when I drink something it should be good for me and it MUST taste good. Of course, water comes to mind. I have been experimenting with flavors and "creative mixing" for years now...plus I was freezing "weird things" as my kids would say. This book gives me so many ideas and validates that there are others out there who (for whatever reason) enjoy water with a twist. I am very pleased with everything about this book and so glad I found it.
on January 19, 2012
This is such a wonderful little book!

I was looking for a mocktails-type book that used ingredients that I love in cocktails (like fresh herbs and ginger). Unfortunately, many of the books I found were filled with recipes that used LOTS of sugar. Luckily I found this book, where fresh fruit is used as the "sweetener" in the drink recipes.

As a nutritionist, I love that fresh herbs and vegetables are used in many of the recipes. There is a good variety in the flavor of the drinks, so not all of the drinks are overly-sweet fruity concoctions (major bonus for me!)

Here are a few of the recipes that look absolutely delicious to me:
*Orange and Tamarind Elixir (with cilantro!)
*Sweet Tart (including cranberries, apple, lemon, & nutmeg)
*Pressed Watermelon with Basil Water
*Cardamom-Green Apple Ice Cubes
on April 10, 2014
I bought this book because I was trying to change my lifestyle and drink more water instead of sugary sodas and juices. I was excited to try the recipes because of the beautiful photos in this book but I have to say I am rather disappointed. So far I've tried 4 recipes in this book, I don't remember the names but they were the one with blueberries, lemon, and ginger, one with orange juice and tamarind paste, another with watermelon and basil, and another with celery and green grapes. All these recipes sounded good in principle but they either tasted like flavored water or reminded me of dishwater. What I mean by that is, even though there is good tasting fruit juice in your water, the recipe always tacks on one weird vegetable/herb ingredient that ruins everything. The blueberry drink was way too gingery. The orange juice and tamarind drink had cilantro in it that made it taste like I was drinking leftover dish washing water from a pot of soup. The watermelon and basil combination by itself was great except the recipe called for vinegar that made the watermelon juice taste like a vinegrette salad dressing. The carbonated water did not help and made the watermelon juice more sour when watermelon is suppose to be nice and sweet. The celery and green grape was just nasty salty and sour. Also, the book says you can keep the waters for up to 3 days. I would not keep them for more than 24 hours. I ended up with a big almost half gallon of celery water, and the morning after getting it out of the fridge, what was a nice green turned into a boogey green. It just did not look or taste appetizing after that.

Overall I dislike how the author tries to be "inventive" with the recipes and make them more packed with flavor than they should. I think you are just better off infusing slices of cucumber or lemons in water and drinking that! More refreshing and fewer weird ingredients.
on January 24, 2011
Cool Waters is an excellant launching pad to an endless array of at home sodas and coolers. The book is full of recipes and supporting naratives on why the ingrediants work together.This is not written for those interested in pouring sugar syrup into a Sodastream. More to the contrary the recipes are Lite and the pictures are visually refreshing. Makes you want to try every mix in the book..Have Fun......
on July 23, 2009
This is the only book I've found in this topic thats worth the money. It has very good recipes --especially the healthy one --One thing I really like about the author was that he kept health in mind-- Now in days that deserve 10 stars. Most recipes books are field with low nutritious recipes and this one breaks that. I do think however that he forgot one major recipe that is Horchata which I love and it is very easy to prepare.
on July 2, 2013
I credit this book for helping me lose 25 pounds and counting.

I was a diet soda drinker all my life - an addict some would say - downing 4+ cans of the stuff a day, and I was so frustrated that all of my weight loss efforts seemed to be in vain. I then read an article that claimed soda (in any form, not just regular) was an impediment to weight loss.

So, I decided to slowly cut out my soda intake. I stopped buying cans and switched to 2 liters. This helped quite a bit. Eventually I phased out the soda in place of sparkling water like San Pellegrino, and eventually just stopped buying soda to keep in the house and only had it when I went out to a restaurant. However, at home I was feeling the need for something else so I was making and ingesting gallons of Crystal Light, Sugar-free lemonade, and other "calorie free" drink mixes. My weight loss progressed, but painstakingly slowly.

Finally - it clicked. I was still drinking diet soda only without the fizz. I was still pumping my body full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners that made my body crave REAL sugar only to cause me to overeat. I bought this book and have found that after a few months of drinking only the waters in this book (I try to stay away from the fizzy waters, but they make good party punch) I no longer crave diet soda or Crystal Light. In fact, it tastes kinda funky now. And, without changing my food intake (I was on restricted calories before) my weight loss has sky rocketed and I feel like I'm no longer in a chemical haze.

This book was a Godsend for me. Not all of the recipes are awesome (the green one just tastes like liquefied grass), but my standbys are super easy to make, and way cheaper than buying all that diet soda and hauling it in from the car.

Tip: if you own a juicer just chuck everything (except herbs) in the juicer and pour it in with the water. WAY less mess than the author's method of putting everything in a food processor then straining the pulp, plus I feel like the water has a more intense flavor with the juicer method.

Enjoy your Cool Waters!