on April 7, 2010
You will simply not find more bang for your buck. These are quiet fans that last and they will plug right into your motherboard. Just FYI, you want to mount these fans vertically and not horizontally because they are sleeve bearing fans. I have made the mistake of mounting these fans horizontally and they get loud and die prematurely. This is not CoolerMaster's fault, it is simply the nature of sleeve bearing fans. For horizontal applications you can use fans with a ball bearing, a rifle bearing et al.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2009
This is a great value. The fans are silent as advertised and they are packaged in a perfectly sized box.

One thing to keep in mind if buying these fans is that they use the 3-pin connectors. You may need to get 3-pin to 4-pin power connectors if you don't have any spots on your motherboard to connect these fans.
***4-PIN ADAPTERS ARE NOT INCLUDED.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 30, 2010
I originally found an entry on an unnamed "deals of the day" website that had a competing site selling 2 Scythe S-FLEX (E-Series) fans for $20. I heard they (Scythe fans) were some of the best fans out there, and was about to spring for that deal... but when I realized after the added 8 dollars for shipping, it came out to be about 30 dollars... 15 bucks per fan. not so much of a bargain anymore. some fellow in that thread mentioned that if you want a real bargain, get these puppies from Amazon. Four 120mm fans for just over 10 dollars. Of course I had to take a look, and I'm glad I did.

Now, when I built my computer, I bought a CoolerMaster case (CM690). This case has room for 7 case fans I believe. It came with three of these very same model fans, so I already knew from personal experience that they were very quiet and did the job. Certainly worth 3 dollars a fan, no doubt; plus I wanted to add some extra fans since I had so many available mount areas in the case and the daily temps are in the upper 90's right now.

Ordered them, got exactly what you see in the picture. It's been said before, it's only 4 fans, and 12 screws for mounting. The fans are three pin. In my case, I have areas for 7 fans, but my board only has 3 headers! So I feel a lot of you are going to have to either get a couple of 3-pin splitters or something for these to use them all.

The fan cords themselves are approximately 12" long. My front fan cord will not reach any of the fan headers on my motherboard, so I had to use the dreaded 4-pin molex adapter /slash/ monstrosity that turns your tidy cable management into a rat's nest. I would really recommend something like this -- http://www.amazon.com/1FT-TX3-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B002DY7M1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277947201&sr=8-1

That will allow you to hook up 2 of these fans into only 1 motherboard fan header -- plus, it gives you an extra 12" of cord. With 24" of cable (including the fan's cable itself), it should reach to the darkest corners of any sized case, and will be a lot more manageable and cleaner looking than the hideous molex/4-pin adapters.

So how about the noise? What can we compare it to in real life? Ok -- right now, in my case (1 foot from me, at about shoulder level) I have 6 of these fans running, plus the CPU fan. I would most closely compare the noise level to that of an air vent or air conditioner intake when your central AC is on. Just a very low, non-distracting flowing air noise.

Now if I get crazy and crank them to wide open, they are a bit noiser, but really not too unbearable. I would compare 6 of them at full speed to the noise level of maybe... an electric toothbrush? This is a bit distracting, as it actually catches my attention (as said though, the case is 1 foot from me, nearly level with my shoulders/head).

If you let the motherboard control the speed of the fans, they are very near silent. It sounds like maybe a newer CD-ROM drive steadily spinning a CD at idle (*not* revving up).

So if you are even questioning getting this... just spring for it. They may not be super high-end wind tunnel 250CFM fans that will allow you to use your computer case as a second freezer, but they do the job, and they do it well for such a tiny amount of money. On a side note, I recommend CoolerMaster products in general... especially their cases. Sturdy and well thought-out designs.

P.S. -- fan direction and airflow is sometimes a science, depending on where your mount holes are and what kind of heatsink, etc, you have. Personally, this is my config:

1 front fan pulls air into the case, over the hard drive bay area
1 back fan, obviously pushes hot air out the back
2 top mounted fans, with air flowing upwards and out of the case (my thought behind this was hot air rises, so at the top of the case is most likely going to be hot air that I want to remove from the case, not blow it back in)
2 side mounted fans (this one is tricky, as one is over the add-in card area... which I have pulling in cool air -- and the real question is: what about the fan mount right above the heatsink? I'm using the Intel stock heatsink & fan, which blows air straight up off the processor, which would be perpendicular to the side of the case. my thought here was at this mount area, have the fan blowing air *out* of the case, since hot air is going to blow off of the heatsink, into this fan, which will expel the air out the side of the case)

Point is, though: When you start working with 4, 5, 6 or more fans... you're creating areas of high and low pressure, which can make the heat move differently than you might expect. Some configurations that I expected would dramatically reduce case temps in fact did the opposite and raised my temps!

The only things I wish these fans had but don't are 1) shielded/covered cables. looks a lot nicer when the three yellow, red and black cables are wrapped in a black shielding. I imagine this could be done with some duct tape after you got your cables routing where you want, so it's not a big deal... and 2) maybe if the cables were a little bit longer... like maybe 18" would be great, for larger cases. It gets annoying having to reach in and unplug the side fans every time I want to take the side cover off! Other than that, this pack is the cat's pajamas.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2012
I used this fan to replace one in a CM Scout case that got noisy. Installation was a breeze (sorry) and took very little time. This fan is almost silent yet moves a lot of air.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2014
If you have a cheap case or mesh blocking the airflow of the fan you can forget about silent with these. Both of those factors will lead to vibration and/or a hair dryer-like sound from the fans. Cooler Master does not provide any rubber grommets or pads to damper vibration so be aware if silence is a priority for you.

Aside from that, they appear to be well built and I don't foresee them failing any time soon.

This video is from the JerryNeutron YouTube channel and provides an overview and sound test.

P.S. - I've moved the intake fan to the front of the case, underneath the faceplate and the noise level appears to have improved some.
on February 28, 2011
Purchased these fans in order to cool down my AV cabinet. I linked all four with a thermo-cooler, so that I didn't have to turn them on or off manually. The system works great! Very pleased with the result and now I can leave our armoire closed when using the receiver or PS3.
Recommended if you are on a budget and don't mind a little DIY.
review image review image review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2010
works well with cooler master elite 341 case... these arent high performance but this should move a fair amount of air on a un-overclocked/un-modded pc.. provides enough ventilation and lower the temps a bit.....
on June 11, 2009
I purchased this pack and installed 2 of the fans into an Antec 300 case:

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

I installed one fan in front of my hard drives and one on the side of the case for my video card. The hard drives now run around 3 or 4 degrees (Celsius) cooler than before, and the video card does as well. I am saving the other two fans for later (to be used as replacements, or possibly on another system at a later date).

Pros:

- the fans are as advertised, dead silent!
- screws are included for all 4 fans.

Cons:

- none!

Other thoughts:

- make sure you have free pins on your motherboard to connect the fans to, or get a converter for them to plug into/piggyback on the power supply cables.
on December 27, 2011
I bought two of these for the Home Theater PC I was putting together.

They are quiet compared to several of the fans I have in any of my desktop PC's, but are unfortunately still too loud for my Home Theater PC. Though overall quiet there is a slight oscilating "humming" and "whining" noise. My wife doesn't notice it but I certainly do, especially during quiet parts of movies. They are at least twice as loud as the fan I have connected directly to my scythe CPU cooler.

I do have them plugged straight into the power supply so they are running at full speed, it's possible they would be acceptably quiet if I was able to have the PC control their speed but unfortunately I have a separate fan plugged into the single conncector port for that purpose.

The construction of the fans seems adequate. Better than I expected for the price to be honest. The screws, though, are very cheap and easy to strip. Worse the screws are too large for the pre-drilled holes in the fan so it took a significant amount of strength to screw them in which wouldn't have been much of a problem if it wasn't that the screws themselves were so cheap.

In the end I will likely be returning them due to the noise.
on December 31, 2012
These fans are an excellent deal!.
PROS:
- They provide excellent airflow and they fit in any mid to full tower cases. The speed is rated at +/- 1200 rpm which is fair enough for a basic to gaming system.
- All the screws are provided just be careful with the power since they have only 3 pin connectors and the 4-pin molex adapter is not included. So make sure to get the ones that you need. I have them inside a Cooler Master HAF 912 case.
- Try to build an airflow to suit your needs. Read this forum in Tom's hardaware for good airflow design, search for positive and negative and you will learn even more about case cooling.
- The shiny side is the intake whereas the side with the wire and the specs is the exhaust.

Hope this helps with your purchase and I recommend those fans for anyone that wants to have a good airflow design in your case.
review image review image