5.0 out of 5 stars a really well thought out case....
I am putting together a machine with the MSI Big Bang XPower MoBo with an i7 930 CPU, and will have a GTX 470 GPU, with 7 HDD's in various raid configs and a Corsair HX850 PSU. This case is so well thought out. So far no negatives except it is very big, which is actually good, as long as you understand this before you buy.

Cable mgmt is excellent, USB 3.0 on...
Published on June 26, 2010 by Brent L

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps everything cool
Its working, but its been about 10 months now and I have a fan that gets really loud on startup and stays loud for about 5 mins. I cleaned it out and it is still a problem.
Published 20 months ago by Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars a really well thought out case...., June 26, 2010
Brent L (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooler Master HAF X - Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports and Windowed Side Panel (RC-942-KKN1) (Personal Computers)

Cable mgmt is excellent, USB 3.0 on the front as well as Esata and 1394 and USB 2.0, covered on/off switch (reset too).

Wheels are included. Air filters on all openings - except for some reason not on the bottom in front of the PSU. All tool-less drive bays, 2 hot swap drive bays in front (amazingly these are not tool-less..wtf were they thinking?).

It includes 3, 200 mm fans (top - out, front - in, side - in, and one 120 mm on the rear out. It also has a place for a second (optional) 200 mm fan on the top.

So far it has been a pleasure to work with. I will update this as the build progresses.

update - the only thing marginal are the hot swap drawers. they require screws to hold the drives in (the included thumbscrews work at least) so it not terrible, but it would have been cool to have a method to yank drives in and out with no real effort at all. still 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets!, July 11, 2010
What a case! I went from a mid-tower to a full-tower chassis. Cable management was a cinch. Of the 3 hours spent transferring parts from old chassis to the HAF X, maybe 30 minutes, if that, was spent on cable management. I'm still new to building, however, this case made me look like a professional.

Couple of minor issues:

1. There is a red LED 230mm fan located at the front, a 200mm non-LED fan on the side panel, and a 200mm non-LED fan at the top. Cooler Master allows for an additional 200mm fan at the top of the chassis. Since I didn't go with a water cooled system, I decided to install the additional 200mm fan at the top. However, Cooler Master only sells a red or blue LED 200mm fan. With that said, I took the fan from the side panel (non-LED) and placed it on top along with the other pre-installed 200mm fan, and placed the new additional red LED 200mm fan on the side panel. Looks awesome. Another issue though was that the screws that came with the additional fan that I purchased are different from the screws on the pre-installed fan at the top. I had to contact Cooler Master to send me the exact screws they used on the pre-intalled fan.

2. In regards to the USB 3.0 front inputs, you'll either need a motherboard that supports USB 3.0, or a PCI USB 3.0 card to attach the cables to.

Other than that, the case rocks. I also installed the Cooler Master V8 and not only does it look amazing, but got my temperatures down by like 5-10 degrees!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great... Big Case!, August 30, 2010
I will try to keep this pretty short. First my build:

HAF X
60Gb SSD drive for games
2x 200Gb HD (in RAID 1) for data
Apevia 900W power supply
DVD drive

I originally had all of this (except the 60Gb SSD drive which I added for this build) in an Antec 900 case. It was jammed in there about as tightly as was possible. The Antec 900 is a nice case, but I really needed a full tower for the components that I have... so it didn't suit my needs. I just finished putting everything in my new HAF X and it's wonderful. I had plenty of room to work and the construction of the case is top-notch. I was actually able to manage all of my cables nicely, for a clean looking build.

This is HUGE case, so if you don't have room you should think twice... but if you do, it's a gerat case. It comes stock with 4 fans, which is just fine... but I added one to the graphics card air duct, and one to the top (comes with one 200mm fan on top, I added the optional 200mm). The cable management is very well thought out, with routes throughout that you can use to tuck away all those cables. I used the power supply partition and it was very helpful in hiding my cables. I also used the GPU holder since I am using two pretty heavy video cards. These little extras really make the case worth the money, and help you to build a better system.

There's plenty of room for your hard disks. I have 3 inside (2 normal HDs and one SSD), and two in the front SATA docks (both SSDs). There's plenty of room for just about any storage configuration you would want to use, and it's all easy to get to and set up. You do have to screw in the drives that you mount on the front SATA docks... but that's not really a big deal to me.

Once I got it all together... I was very pleased. The airflow is great... my CPU is idling at about 32 degress Celsius, my hard drives at 24 degrees, memory at 29 degrees, physics card at 27 degrees and video cards at 24 degrees. I haven't done too much stress testing, but my CPU has only hit about 41 degrees celsius max so far.

I love that this case is black both outside AND inside. A lot of black cases will have a stainlees steel color on the inside, but this is black throughout, which I find very nice. A lot of people complain that this case is "ugly", but I disagree... I think it's a great looking case.

Overall, I love this case. It's the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. In my opinion you can't get a much better case for the price... and if you have a high-end set of components you should definitely consider the HAF X.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Case I Have Ever Owned Hands Down, February 4, 2011
Length:: 1:51 Mins

Where to begin. Well my favorite part about this case has to be the cable management. It has tons of option for routing your cables behind the motherboard and underneath the Power Supply shield. The all "Blacked" out interior really makes the inside of the case look very professional. I have owned Full Towers before and while some especially the Antec P182 have had good cable management, none have taken the experience as far as the HAF X has. They really thought of everything. They even include an extension cable for a standard 8-pin P8 motherboard connector that easily attached to my Corsair AX750 750 Watt PSU and routed behind the motherboard where the 8 pin connector easily reached the motherboard connector. Plenty of expandability and convenience features as well. I have 3 Hard Drives installed (1 2.5" SSD, 2 3.5" Traditional) 2 DVD/BLU-RAY Burners and a Dual 5 1/4" bay NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller.

Wish it included the 2 Top Mounted 200mm RED LED Fans. Also wish the side mounted 200mm Fan was RED LED. I did replace the installed top 200mm Fan With a Cooler Master 200mm RED LED Fan and added a second one in the other vacant spot on top. Also replaced the side mounted 200mm Fan with a Cooler Master 200mm RED LED fan. The problem others have noted with the screws when installing the after market Cooler Master 200mm Fans was not a huge issue for me. I just took the screws from the top fan I removed to Home Depot and bought a package of the same screws to install the other Cooler Master Fans I replaced/installed.

If you need a lot of room for your components, this is the case for you. It looks like a Tank and is built that way as well. It will fit the longest Video Cards with ease and has so many options for cable management. I am using a Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler and have so much room to spare.

I Have posted a Video/Picture Slide Show of my completed Build. Check it out to see what the HAF X Looks like with all the components installed!

My BUILD:

Cooler Master HAF X 942 Full Tower
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-870 2.93GHz LGA1156 Processor (OC 4.2GHz)
CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W PSU
Cooler Master V8 Core i7 CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB GDDR5 Video Card
6GB Kingston HyperX T1 Series DDR3 2000 (OC 2100)
OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 120GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
2 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5" Hard Drives
2 x ASUS 5 1/4" Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burners
Installed 3 x Cooler Master 200mm LED Fans (Red)
DUAL bay 5 1/4" NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cooling; Confusing setup; Beware adding in the motherboard, November 21, 2011
I've got a power-hungry and thermally intensive setup in this case but the fans and the design let me push everything at 100% (folding at home SMP and GPU) for an entire day with the highest temp (North Bridge) being ~70 C with Crossfire 6870s at ~55 C (not sure if this number is correct) and Phenom X6 at ~63 C and only stock air-cooling. The fans use 4-pin power cables that plug into your power supply and not the motherboard so you won't get scaling performance (not that I can tell, anyways).

The manual, though, is sorely lacking. It has a series of pictures showing you how to put things together. They usually go like this: this is the thing you want to put in. This is the orientation. This is what it looks like when it's done. Not very descriptive. Still, it's a case. It's about as complicated as figuring how things fit together.

As noted in the title, there can be some issues with securing the motherboard. First off, it's very easy to overscrew. I did. Now the screw won't come out and the motherboard is stuck there. It is very very easy to overscrew. The moment you feel the slightest resistance, stop screwing and just leave it there. It's not like you need to secure it very well anyways. It isn't as if you're going to be bouncing around with this thing.

It has a sort of hidden hollow space between the outer case and the inner supports that you could use for wire management. To me, it was more trouble than it was worth. Plus the fact that most wires aren't long enough to be able to use that space and still connect to what they are supposed to. Useful, though, for hiding extra cable for the ones that are just too long or unused.

The insides are quite roomy and easy to work in with your hands. Don't need to worry too much about the order that you put things in since there's always room to work around whatever you just put in. I would suggest, though, that you put in the power supply first since it's in the corner and a bit hard to work around if you use the bottom PCI slots.

In summary,
Pros :
+ Roomy
+ Front I/O w/ 2x 3.0 USB, 2x USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 and headphone/mic plugs.
+ Lots of room for big fans (comes with 1x230mm on the front, 1x200mm over the PCI slots, and 1x200mm on the top. has room for extra 1x200mm on top plus space inside)
+ Quick-swap trays for HDDs and such. limited utility, though, since you generally don't swap those things very often.
+ Hollow-space for cables
+ extra screws

Cons:
- Motherboard overscrew issue
- heavy (36.8 lb)
- lackluster manual
- only one fan sort-of points at CPU (top back 200mm)

It's a big, sturdy, and well-thought case with air-flow and convenience in mind. Admittedly a bit pricy, but you won't find yourself upgrading for quite a while. You could probably survive a zombie invasion with this thing.

For me the cons weren't an issue, hence the 5-star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Case, December 31, 2012
I have one of these cases.

If you are building a high end custom PC, don't buy a cheapie case with just enough room for what you THINK you're gonna build; instead, buy a cave of a case like the HAF 932 big enough for the PC that you're ACTUALLY going to build (including all the additional PC components you'll discover you need)

Some impassioned geniuses obviously designed into this case every nifty feature and expand-ability that anyone could possibly think of. This thing is a awesome friggen Humvee of a case. My cat is scared of it. My wife is scared of it. This case is obviously too sexy for my cat and too sexy for my wife. I'm glad it is sufficiently ominous looking. That will keep their greasy paws away from it. :-)

As for exapand-ability, first I dropped in a huge footprint ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, with a monster CPU cooling fan (Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail), sitting about 7" off that mobo, cooling an i7-950 Bloomfield.

That stack fit and the HAF 932 didn't even blink. Remember, the HAF 932 is over nine and a half inches thick.

Then I threw in FOUR 2TB sata drives in a RAID setup w/a fat HP LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i 8-port SAS RAID Controller. LSI 9260-8I RAID SAS 6GB/S ROC CARD SAS-R. Serial Attached SCSI, Serial ATA/600 - PCI Express 2.0 x8 - Plug-in Card - RAID Support - 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60 RAID Level - 512 MB, also attached to a 256GB SSD for good measure. Then I added TWO 5.25" DVD burners, plus a 5.25" Blu-ray burner, just in case I needed to "backup" three movies at a time.

The HAF 932 digested all those into its belly like some trifling crumbs and gave me a hungry look that said "feed me more!"

So I put in a 17-in-1 Memory Card Reader into another 5.25" bay. The HAF didn't even flinch. After all, it STILL had a couple of 5.25" drive bays sittin' empty, just taunting me.

Next I tossed in a couple peppy Nvida GTX 580 graphics cards in dual SLI mode, each burning about 240W (max). That required me also toss in a hefty 1000W PSU. Then I was dissipatin' enough thermal energy to warm up my study room in the winter. Now I could put that space heater into storage, since my PC was handling that duty.

..but the HAF 932 just yawned and fired up its monster fans and kept its insides cool without even breaking a sweat (or making any noticeable sound)

I could stuff in more, but I gave up the battle because my checking account balance is a casualty of war against the HAF 932. You see the HAF 932 won hands down in terms of its expand-ability versus my spend-ability!

5.0 out of 5 stars When airflow is REAL important you want HAF-X, September 30, 2011
Techie (Northern California) - See all my reviews
I have a build sitting in a pretty warm room- so air cooling was even MORE important to me than to some others... this case is the thinking man's build dream case! Easy to work on - easy to upgrade - easy to wire up - wire manage - connect - install 5-inch devices, SSD's, Hard disks - you name it. Put this with an ASUS motherboard, and a 12 year old could build it! No kidding.

Can handle the worlds largest motherboards, video cards, power supplies and air coolers (Noctua DH-14) with no sweat. Only 'knock' was I had to remove the side-door fan cowl because the monster MSI GTX 580 Lightning Edition video card was too tall (not too long - but too tall!)

Added an aux 200mm blue led fan in the top (bit of an issue routing the wires around but managed it fine) and a 120mm GPU fan inside the GPU cooling shroud.

Simple - intuitieve - well thought out and (drumroll) VERY COOL and VERY QUIET system with as much airflow as you could imagine. Extra screws, a ton of motherboard offset mounts and screws - well, you get the picture.

There are other cases out there, some of which may LOOK better or prettier... but this BEAST is the one if you want something that's got room to spare and air, air, and more air. Room for water cooling solutions too, but I didn't use one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master did their homework., March 19, 2011
This is a fantastic case made by Cooler Master. This is my first time using one of their cases and it has definitely impressed me. For a while I've been intrigued by their HAF series of cases. I thought they looked great and were well thought out. This HAF-X is absolutely no exception.

Every part of this case is built with great quality. It's a very robust case. I was a little afraid of the plastic front/top since I was previously using a completely aluminum case with a black brushed aluminum exterior. The plastic is actually very sturdy and thick; I see no issues with it... It even looks good. The case is extremely rigid, there is no twisting or flex in the frame or chassis in any way. The case is quite large and will be able to house a lot of gear, even the largest of video cards and complex liquid cooling systems. Everywhere you look, there is a fantastic attention to detail. -- More on this in below.

Convenience is the name of the game here... They have thought of just about everything. There is a cutout in the motherboard tray behind the CPU area so you can add/remove brackets for heavier cooling systems. Most of the case does not require a screw-driver. The screw-less design of the drive bays works well and is extremely easy to use. Front panel has plenty of easy access ports such as: USB 2 and 3, Firewire, e-SATA, headphone, and microphone. They have also incorporated 2 hot swap bays in the front to easily attach any SATA hard drives. There is plenty of cable management. There is plenty of holes in the motherboard tray to route your cables which are all covered in a soft rubber. All steel corners are rounded over so there are no sharp corners/edges. The right side panel is bumped out to leave plenty of room to route cables behind the motherboard tray. There is also little holes where you can pass zip ties through to hold cables to the back of the motherboard tray. A cover to hide the wiring coming out of the power supply is also included, which REALLY makes the case look cleaner, and also helps airflow. Also, there is 3 holes along the top to pass through any external water-cooling tubes or wires you may have. One other nice addition is the cover they put in for the power/reset switches. You can slide a cover over the buttons so you or anyone else doesn't accidentally touch your power/reset controls.

Cooling is done exceptionally well also. I like how Cooler Master opted to use larger fans to keep the noise down. There is plenty of ventilation and the case stays very cool and quiet. All fans besides the rear exhaust fan include dust filters, which is a very welcome addition. The whole front panel of the case (including drive-bay covers) are a steel mesh style with dust filter behind. There is even a dust filter for the bottom area where the power supply can be mounted. A piece is also included to help channel cool air to your video cards.

Cooler Master also includes a nice little package with various accessories. They give you 4 casters for the case if you'd like to put it on the floor for extra clearance and easier movement. They also include a little bit for a standard screw-driver to help install the motherboard standoffs. An assortment of cable ties and adapters for the wiring is included... Another nifty addition is a bracket to hold a fan to mount in front of your video cards and help support the video card's weight. It's a great package.

I could easily go on about this case as I do honestly feel it's extremely well thought out. I really like it when a company does their homework before releasing a product; and it's obvious they have. This is a great case as just about everyone has stated. User reviews and pro reviews alike find this to be a fantastic enclosure if you're looking for a Full Tower. Don't hesitate, this is worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, January 23, 2012
I just used this monster of a case for my first time building a computer and had great success. I wanted a case for gaming with a lot of fans to keep it cool and this met the criteria. It comes with 4 fans (front, back, side, top) w/ an additional spot for a 2nd fan on top. Although I had some issues of figuring out what wires went where (first time building), the case instructions along with the motherboard instructions gave me enough information to get everything plugged in correctly.

All fans, front panel connections, and the LED are all working. Motherboard, power supply, hard drives (1 regular, 1 solid state), and dvd drive were all very easy to install. There are a also few openings in the back and side of the case to organize wires so the inside doesn't even look too cluttered even though it's pretty filled up. Even with all the fans running, the system is extremely quiet.

On the first weekend of being operational I tested the system with Old Republic. There were several complaints about the game causing computers to overheat but even with increments of 8+ hours of online time the processor core temps never got above 65 degrees C (max of 100).

Overall, I am very happy with this product and glad that I made the purchase. I had originally ordered a different case but after reading reviews decided to go with this one. I've only had it up for a few days but will revise my review if problems arise in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent design and quality construction, March 27, 2011
I'm very impressed by the attention to detail and the quality of construction. Every edge and corner is finished perfectly. The paint job is fantastic.

You can see plenty of pics and vids on the Web showing the easy to use drive mounts and the ample size, but until you start building with it, you can't appreciate the thought that went into the case. For example, the wheels are placed in such a way that when you want to put the case on its side, the wheels don't "shoot out" from underneath; instead, the case rocks over into a relatively stable position for gently laying it down.

One thing I didn't think about before building the system was how the fan on the side panel would be plugged in when I wanted to open the case. No problem, it turns out, because here is another nice little touch: The panel fits into the case in such a way as to act like it has a hinge if you apply a little frontwards pressure on the panel as you open. In other words, you can swing open the panel enough to unplug the fan, and then you can remove the panel.

Or, if you don't mind putting the case down, you can swing up the panel and keep it propped open (like the hood of a car) with a stick.

The great benefits of the size of the case are cable management and airflow. The fixed cables on big power supplies are very thick, but the back panel closed over everything with no problem at all. On some boxes I have dreaded going back in because the cables are so tightly packed, but this is no issue at all with the HAF X.

As for appearances, I think it looks great. Pics on the Web seem to emphasize the futuristic, military looks and the lighted fans. But in my office, it just looks like a very well made tower case, not flashy at all. The window is not only for showing off your build, but for the practical purpose of observing LED indicators on the board.

My only suggestions for improvement would be to include rubberized wheels, as the included ones slide more than roll on hard surfaces, and to provide a better instruction booklet for wiring the fans and LED's.

Anybody buying computers these days knows that quality is becoming rare, which is sad. That's one reason I so enthusiastically praise Cooler Master for this product (and the Hyper 212 Plus heatsink that looks so freakin' cool through the window!)

$199.99 $159.99
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies