1,745 Reviews
 (1,291)

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge difference from stock heat sink / fan
It was time to build myself a new PC and switch back to PC gaming from consoles, especially with the launching of next gen consoles. The machine will also be used for graphic design, rendering and encoding. Purchased the AMD FX-8350 with the intent of not overclocking it for now and stick with its stock heat sink and fan. For the first few weeks, the stock cooling ramped...
Published 12 months ago by YakovGYP

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Based on all the good reviews on here and NewEgg, I decided to go with this cooler. My new LGA1155 board would not accept my old CM V8 without a difficult to acquire 1155 bracket adapter.
I spent 4+ hours trying to get this installed to the point that the heatsink would not move so freely.
Upon my first and subsequent installations I thought I certainly did...
Published on January 14, 2013 by R. Josephs

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeeee heatsink. Junk fan., October 12, 2014
JJ (Meadville, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) (Personal Computers)
Purchased for an AMD-FX4130. 125w processor.

I floored at the size of this thing when I received it. Did not know if it would fit in my case (Enermax Ostrog, $30 on Amazon) and was slightly hesitant to install as I'd never used a screw down heatsink before.

Finally got around to the install. Super easy. Youtube some instructions (for the socket you are installing on) and it should go easy as pie.

I purchased IC7 diamond thermal grease and my processor at full load, P95 Small FFT test sits at 42*C. With the stock heatsink and paste it was around 58-60*C. The improvement is absurd and I will be purchasing the Hyper 212 for all of my future builds.

The one negative side is the fan that comes with the heatsink is garbage. I had to mount it horizontally (pretty sure this is standard for AM3+) and after 2 days the sleeve bearing fan started rattling. Luckily I had a few extra ball bearing 120mm fans sitting around and popped them in and now it is nearly silent.

I did have to take the fan of the side panel of my case that sits above the processor. The heatsink nearly touches the plexiglass window.

Took 1 star off for junk fan. The fitment issue was foreseen and expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best budget air cooler for the money, if you are undecided buy it., July 19, 2014
An absolute must for the budget builder/gamer/enthusiast, I own three of these coolers and have installed a fourth for a friend. These coolers are great workhorses and will compete with higher end coolers. All this for half the price or more depending on what brand you are looking at.

Pros:

Cheap
fairly quiet
easy to clean
(depending on your case design and space limitations)
competes with higher end coolers
can be run in a push/pull configuration with the addition of a 2nd fan

Cons:

heatsink is very tall
can be trying to install, I recommend installing it before putting the motherboard in the case. (may need two sets of hands)
heatsink may cover RAM slots or run into RAM with big heatsinks of their own
doesn't look as pretty as other coolers but again its not what it looks like its what it can do

I will continue to use, install and recommend this cooler to friends, family and strangers. You really can't go wrong with this cooler and the biggest hurdle is the install and size other than that you can't beat the price to performance ratio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Air Cooler, April 26, 2012
I bought this after I realized from reviews of my new i7 processor that I would need a non-stock cooling solution. I have used water cooling on past systems, and ultimately found that these systems just added expense and size to already expensive and large systems. I was encouraged by the price and reviews on this, and was not disappointed. Mounting system is excellent for LGA1155 (my system), and looks equally nice for other compatible boards. I did not run my system without this cooler so I have no comparison, but this keeps the system well under thermal limits even when overclocked. I used the included thermal paste -- no need for arctic silver, IMO.

One note -- you will probably need to remove the motherboard to install this, even if you have a Cooler Master case (as I do). One of the reviews here shows someone taking a Dremel tool to their MOBO tray ... I saw no need for this. While the stands don't line up with my CPU cutout in my tray, they do fit nicely between the tray and the MOBO ... But you will probably need to pull the board, so if you're building a new system make sure you install the mounting hardware for this cooling system before installing your board in the case.

Highly recommended. If you're looking for an effective and inexpensive cooling solution for your system, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master has the most flexible AM2/AM3 mounting options that also "bolt-thru" the board, April 15, 2012
I mainly do AMD builds and I prefer the CPU Coolers with mounting options that don't use the reference AMD bracket, which are sometimes implemented very cheaply (e.g. no metal backplate). I almost always check Cooler Master's offerings because they have sturdy, "bolt-thru the board" mounting options and are reasonably priced. The mounting option on this cooler not only offers that option, but it gives you the option to turn the cooler in any 90 degree increment. Because I also like Asrock motherboards and many of them have the mounting bracket/holes turned 90 degrees, coolers like this one give you options. If you want maximum airflow out of the back of the case and have space in the case, this is a great choice. Cooler Master's GeminII & Hyper N 520 coolers also offers similar mounting flexibility, but are better for lower profile needs. I also like the fan mounting option on this unit better vs. the metal wire rigging on Xiggy coolers. One Minor cons is that you need access to the back of the motherboard for mounting (many newer cases have this, older cases will require either modding a cut-out or board removal). All in all, COOLER MASTER = VALUE!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless for my application. Hyper 212 EVO - Heatsink way too loose., January 14, 2013
Upon my first and subsequent installations I thought I certainly did something wrong. As others have stated; the instructions are terrible and they don't explain all the parts, especially the adjustable tension screw at the center of the bracket. This screw has no bearing on how tight the bracket mounts to the board, but rather it tightens the "X" bracket from changing positions so freely. (yes, it also serves as a center guide pin on the heatsink)

The problem with my setup?
After tightening all 4 mounting screws in the proper pattern the heatsink would still move, twist, wobble, rotate, and rock. The heatsink pin was lined up properly to the correct notch on the bracket.

I searched online (prior to buying) and didn't see any cons regarding this, but of course now that I'm searching after the fact I see many others have experienced a loose heatsink with this cooler. Most people have slight movement with a little pressure and peers are reassuring them that it's fine.
Mine was NOT fine. When I turned my case upright, the heatsink tilted down about 5-10 degrees thanks to gravity. There should be little to no noticeable tilt when setting your PC upright.

I inspected the design of the bracket against the heatsink and it appears that there is very little surface area contacting the bracket to the heatsink. Only a small raised area of the bracket around the center pin actually touches the heatsink. That certainly isn't enough to hold it in place unless you can apply enough pressure to hold it still.
I used the proper stand-offs and tightened all screws until they ran out of threads and it seems that the bracket lightly touches the CPU, and I mean LIGHTLY if at all.
The additionally supplied stand-offs are for LGA2011 and are half the length. The LGA2011 stand-offs are also mounted differently so I couldn't use those.

After 4 hours of removing and reapplying, I ran out of the supplied thermal paste. I also took a few videos of the movement in case I needed them for some reason.

My setup in case people are wondering about the factors at play...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Socket: LGA1155
CPU: i5 3570k

If someone else has this setup and their installation is fairly snug, then maybe I have a defective product.
At one point I thought (like another reviewer did) that my bracket screws were mounted wrong. Removing them to remount would likely mean I need new lock washers.

Typically coolers of this style can be installed in under 10 minutes. Finally in frustration I packaged the EVO up, ran to Micro Center and purchased a newer CM V8 which now supports LGA1155. The Cooler Master V8 bracket screws solidly to its heatsink and tightened down just fine in 7 minutes. The V8 won't move unless the entire MB moves. I'm not suggesting this be everyone else's alternative because it's double the price and a different class of cooler. I'm only stating what my resolve was.

So now I guess I have a newish CPU cooler to put in my next garage sale. Not sure if it's worth($$) attempting to return it to Amazon because the product didn't play well with my setup.

There are too many positive reviews to say that this is a terrible product overall, but in my application it apparently didn't work.
I certainly can't recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO based on my experience.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 26, 2013 4:31:01 PM PDT
Dear valued customer,
We're sincerely sorry for the issues you've encountered. Please feel free to contact us through http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/contact.php and talk to us in email or Live Chat so we can support you on these concerns.

Regards,
CMUSA Support

5.0 out of 5 stars Just installed, February 18, 2014
It installed easy. I downloaded Core Temp program before putting this on, and my temps would be around 40c. After installing this they are around 23c so I can say this works. Ive got an I5-4570 processor. I would recommend to anyone that's looking to upgrade their stock fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CPU cooler for the i7 3770k (with modifications), February 10, 2013
M. Bishop (Tallahassee, FL) - See all my reviews
I bought this to cool my i7-3770k and it is working fantastically. Mounted in the horizontal-flow configuration, it has brought my idle temp from about 35 C down to about 27 C (as low as 20 C) with a room temperature of 18 C (65 F). I have yet to see it go above 54 C even while gaming. That being said, I did make some changes from the original configuration:

I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I added a VERY thin layer to the heat-sink surface as to fill the grooves, literally as thin as I could make it. I then used the "X method" on the CPU itself, this assures a bubble-free, mostly circular contact between CPU and heat-sink (google it).

I used a different fan (Scythe 120mm SY1225SL12LM-P) and have it configured to the "Pull" direction. This means air is being pulled through the heat-sink, and the air is being exhausted straight out the back of the case. I did some reading on Tom's Hardware and someone tested pushing vs pulling and pulling was significantly better (a couple degrees). I have tried both and "Pull" works better for me as well.

I moved the exhaust fan that blows air out of the back of the rig so it is now exhausting out of the top. I did this because the CPU fan and the case fan were really close. I figured this would increase airflow not having a fan obstructing another fan.

The fan is running at 1500 rpm all of the time, I turned off automatic control of the fan in the BIOS. My motherboard was only running it at 800 rpm and was cooling down to about 32 C. It is much cooler now and the fan really isn't that noisy even at full load.

I think it is also helpful that I have a case that has great airflow (Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011011-WW)).

I hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires Low-Profile RAM, August 31, 2012
If you're going to use this with a second fan, or if you intend the existing fan to be mounted such that it blows across the fins toward the back of the case, be advised that on the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, and I'm sure some other boards, the RAM needs to be low-profile for clearance.

Also, it touches the chip surface with minimal force. Thermal compound becomes necessary to make a proper seal. I read others have observed this aspect of the design. I'm not entirely comfortable with it.

Comes with the stuff to add a second fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Be Happier, August 7, 2012
I have an Intel I7 processor.

Using the stock Intel cooler, my processor was running normally at 55º C. (131º F.)

Under stress, the processor temperatures went up to 100º C. (212º F.)

As you may know, this is the maximum temperature I7 processors can take before risking heat damage. The experts say to keep I7s under 80º C.

I looked for an aftermarket CPU cooling solution and I found this great cooler.

Pros:

1. Installation was relatively fast and simple for me. I am comfortable installing computer hardware.

2. Very quiet cooler in my humble opinion.

3. After installing this cooler, normal temperatures went down from 55º C. (131º F.) to an average of 43º C. (109.4 F.) This is a huge difference!!

4. Here comes the impressive part. Under processor stress, this cooler won't let the temperatures rise above 69º C. ( 156.2º F. ) No matter what programs I run and how long I run them for.

I have been monitoring processor temperatures for the past month with this cooler. I have run several HD video processing jobs. All of them took over 5 hours to complete with processor load at 100%. CPU temperatures have remained steady below 70º C.(158º F.) Very impressive!!

Suggestion:

If you're going to install this cooler yourself, navigate to your favorite video sharing website and search for: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO installation. Big help! You will find several videos which will guide you step by step.

Cons:

1. Installation of this cooler is not for beginners. If you're not comfortable with installing CPU coolers and applying thermal paste, ask somebody who knows what they're doing to do it for you. Or take your computer to the nearest PC repair shop.

2. This cooler is big. If you have a small case or even a medium case it might not fit. Make sure you have at least 16cm. ( 6.29 in. ) from the base of your processor to your case's side panel. Also make sure there's nothing on your motherboard closer than 12cm. (4.72 in. ) around the processor. The heatsink and fan take a lot of space to the sides.

3. Look behind the panel where your motherboard is installed. There needs to be an opening inside your computer case to mount a backplate. This backplate installs behind the motherboard and holds the cooler in place. Some computer cases don't have this opening.

Suggestion:

Do your home work before buying this cooler. Find out if it's compatible with your computer hardware.

Conclusion:

This is a great cooler. Couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars great cpu heatsink, December 21, 2011
Keep overclocked 4.0 AMD X6 1100T idle at 32 degree C. Full load when run prime95 at 50 degree C. Room temp is warm.
Very good price/performance ratio. Installation is time consuming and not easy. Manual illustration is small and not clear.

Amazon ships via UPS is good. Amazon packaging protection is very minimal.