5.0 out of 5 stars It really keeps it cool!
Published on November 12, 2011 by M. Rosander

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned this twice because both didn't work
I have now bought and returned this product TWICE, as both have not worked. The first one didn't work at all; the second one, the fan would spin for 10 seconds and stop, until you unplug and repeat. Long story short: product did not work, twice.
Published on July 30, 2012 by Laurie

5.0 out of 5 stars It really keeps it cool!, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Cooler Master NotePal LapAir - Laptop Lap Desk with Pillow Cushion and Cooling Fan (R9-NBC-LPAR-GP) (Personal Computers)
I have owned before 2 different laptop coolers. The Targus Lap Chill Mat AWE55US, and the Logitech Cooling Pad N100. Neither of those lasted even 6 months before they died. The Targus was big sized, so maybe a lil more ideal for my Dell XPS 1640, and it did live longer than my logitech, but the logitech seemed to cool better than the targus...at least for the first 2 weeks. After that, the logitech started slowing down, not cooling as much, and then quit altogether. So I decided to try something different and just bought the Cooler Master Notepal LapAir after reading all the statistics on air flow for it.

I've had it 3 days so far and have run it non-stop aside from when I go to bed I unplug it. The fan is pretty quiet (more quiet than the fan inside my Dell), and it really does move the air!!! I use my laptop on my lap, so was hoping the rear intake vent would help with the issues most all other coolers have of intake from the bottom, and it does. The rear intake is also nice because that means I can set the laptop on my couch for a minute and not worry so much about it sucking in more dust. It is fairly comfortable on my legs too, though it does feel a tad heavy. I was concerned about the type of fan it has in it because I've never worked with a 'blower fan', I've always used the standard style ones with the kind of curvy blades and I saw other coolers that had my eye simply because of the standard style fan in them and the large size of the fan. But let me tell you, I do NOT regret buying this kind, it really moves air!!! And amazingly, it feels colder than the air in my room. In fact it makes my legs cold so now I'm using a throw blanket on my lap because I lost my lap warmer!

This is a good thing though because my computer is performing much better, much cooler to the touch, and able to handle my games. I've been playing LOTRO and Second Life, both fairly video intensive and my laptop used to have trouble even on lower settings. The FPS are not suffering at all so far. So in summary, this is one powerful laptop cooler definitely worth the buy! I can play games I couldn't play for months because it is really powerful at cooling! I no longer worry about burning the skin off my hands, my laptop barely feels warm at all to the touch. I haven't tested internal temperatures (lots of other review sites have), but I know by it's performance my computer is running much cooler.

The only negatives I have really aren't negatives, but could be improved: 1. It's a little heavy on the lap, not bad, but lighter would be better. 2. I would love if it had an on/off switch instead of having to unplug it, but as a tradeoff I guess unplugging it reduces the risk of damaging the cord/usb socket by accidental bumps. 3. The USB cord sticks out way too far. I like that it has USB pass through, but am pretty sure they could engineer that to make it smaller, but function over form all in all it's ok. Highly recommended and would buy again because the performance on this is fantastic, the real test now is to see it's longevity! Hoping it can last at least a year unlike my Targus and Logitech. We'll see :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master Notepal LapAir Notebook Cooler, October 9, 2011
After reading the reviews concerning this product I was a bit hesitant to order one. The prime reason was that quite a few reviewers complained about the excess noise that the Notebook Cooler produced. I decided to take the complaints with a grain of salt & see for myself because I have found out through experience that you cannot believe everything that you read in product reviews. For some reason, whether it be that they did not use the products as the manufacturer suggested or they tend to exaggerate their findings. I am happy to say that after trying this Cool Master Laptop Cooler it has been one of the best investments I have ever made. Before I had this item my laptop got so hot it almost burned my legs & I had to put some sort of pad under it in order to continue. I have been using my laptop for about two hours & I am now typing this review with my laptop resting on my lap on the Cool Master and the bottom of the cooler pad is cool as a cucumber & all I hear is a very slight sound from the fan that is no louder than the fan noise that comes from the laptop itself. The USB cable stores in a groove underneath & there is a groove on either side to enable you to plug the handy USB plug into the most convenient outlet on your laptop. Once the USB plug is inserted into a USB socket it has a feature that enables you to plug another accessory into it if you find it necessary. I haven't had it long enough to utilize the easy fan cleaning option yet. All you have to do is lift the small tap to remove the metal mesh screen that covers the fan unit to lightly vacuum the fan & the housing. I can honestly recommend this product to anyone that is considering buying a quality laptop cooler that does what the company says it will do & the price is right as well...

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cooler for 17" laptops., February 14, 2014
Just got a new laptop a couple of days ago to replace an aging one. Got a HP Pavilion 17-e049wm. I had a laptop cooler from Targus that worked well with my old laptop but the new laptop is so large that it overhangs by over an inch on either side. So I decided to go shopping for a new one.

After checking out various products I decided on this one. I've noticed that other laptop coolers that say they are good for 17" laptops usually fall short on the size and you will have some overhang of the laptop. This one seemed to fit the bill and seemed to be a good value for the money, but alas it's not perfect.

Pros:
1. Value. It seems that laptop coolers try to be too much...... 5 fans, 4 USB ports..... I don't need all of that. This is a simple cooler. It has a padded section on the bottom for comfort when you using it on your lap and after using it all day today, I have no complaints.

2. Ease of use: Plug in passthrough cable for the fan and you're good to go. And you still have access to your USB port. There are also channels on the bottom of it to route the USB cable in several directions depending on where you'll be plugging it in to your laptop at.

3. Maintenance: My old laptop cooler from Targus had two fans that pushed quite a lot of air. But it got very dirty and there is no easy way to clean it. This laptop cooler has a mettle mesh on the top the pulls off very simply and it allows you to directly access the blower to clean and change out the blower itself (if it every dies). Very cool.

4. Quality: Made of seemingly durable plastic. It's nothing spectacular to look at, but it seems to be pretty well constructed; very solid.

5. The blower: I love the blower vs. a standard fan. This thing puts out a fair amount of movement. I can feel airflow coming from under the front of my computer when I'm using it. It's also fairly quiet.

Cons:

1. USB cable: A pretty thin wire has been used and I can see the passthrough USB port developing issues at some point with wear and tear on it. Should be pretty simple to replace if I ever need to, but I know that some people will just through the whole unit out if it ever stop working.

2. The channels for the USB cable: It's a great theory, but the wire tends to fall out. Don't really know what else they could have done with it, but figured I'd include it. Should easily be solved with a lil bit of tape.

3. The top: There is a recess in the top of the unit. I'm assuming it's to cradle smaller laptops but creates a huge issue with large laptops. If I have the laptop sitting square in the middle of the cooler, the front rubber feet do not touch anything due to this recess. My laptop will overhang the front by about an inch and a half before they hit the edge of the recess and stop. I rectified this by using some standard shelf liner. Before I did that my laptop would literally slide just from typing.

Overall, this is a pretty nice cooler. It's comfy to have sitting on my lap, is pretty quiet and moves a fair amount of air. The main issue that I have is with the recess in the top that causes my computers rubber feet to not grip anything. If it wasn't for that, this would have been rated at 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly quiet, laptop fans run less when using, lap or desk use, April 20, 2013
AGK (Sierra Mtns, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This cooler seems sturdy enough although I haven't had it long. The USB power cord is cleverly contained in a groove on the bottom and can be run to either side of the computer. It also has a USB pass-through connector so you don't loose a port. (I believe it is USB 2.0. Unfortunate, since all four of my ports are USB 3.0) The cord seems a little lightweight but adequate.
The design works well for either using on your lap or on a table. It has a cushion pad and a rubber strip on the bottom. It can be used with both 15" and 17" laptop computers. My 17" fits just right. Fits in a bag made for 17" laptop computer.
The fan provides enough air flow to be as effective as a device like this can probably be and is reasonably quiet. Seems to keep my internal fan from running as much. Draws air from the back and blows it up against the bottom of the computer (check your computer's air flow design, this works perfectly for mine but may not for other computer designs).
This design would've lent itself to including a 5"x7"-8" slide out mouse pad, but sadly, it is not included. (Maybe it will be in the next USB 3.0 pass-though, no-slip coating version?!)
I knocked off one star because my laptop wants to slide toward me and off the cooler when I'm using it on my lap. Some kind of soft rubbery no-slip coating or a prominent lip at the front/bottom would have prevented this, (and it would have earned 5 stars.) Works just fine on a table.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned this twice because both didn't work, July 30, 2012
Laurie (California) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good!, February 27, 2013
Ali R. Puckett (Glen Ellyn, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product for my Dell Vostro 3750, which gets very hot when using the video card.

I feel that some of the negative reviews of this product are unfair. I'm typing this review with the LapAir product under my computer right now, and I think it's a dandy little product for the price. I am surprised by the reviewer who claimed it was heavy. It's not. At all. The product sits nicely in my lap and the cushion pad makes it very comfortable, especially since I love using my laptop in bed. My main concern when I read the other reviews was that it would be noisy. I decided to purchase anyway, and I can tell you this is not the case. Ok, marketing the product as 'noiseless' is misleading, but I can barely hear the fan, and so far, it seems to be doing a great job of cooling my computer.

The only negative comment I have about this product is that it does seem easy for the laptop to slip off the pad. I have a 17" monitor with rubber feet, so it's not a terrible problem. Just something to consider.

I'm giving this product 4 stars, reserving 1 just in case the LapAir doesn't hold up over time or keep the system cool enough while I'm playing my SimCity game for hours on end when it is released next week. :)

**3/21/13 Update**
I've been using the LapAir for weeks now, and it works like a charm. Really like this product!

**5/22/13 Update**
Had to buy a new one. The USB cord frayed and rendered the product useless. In it's defense, I tend to be pretty hard on my computer cords. Still, I wish it would have lasted more than a couple months...

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but Noisy, September 13, 2012
I like that it is large and gets good and even airflow across the back half of my 17-inch laptop. However, it is noisy and the indentation along the sides at the front of the platform make it so larger laptops like mine have to be positioned just right so it doesn't slide around as much. I also wish the the pad on the bottom was as wide as the top. In the end I leave the fan off when not gaming and it serves its purpose for a small price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, March 14, 2014
I bought this to replace an existing lap desk/cooler that no longer worked. It is awkward on your lap, the computer sits nearly flush on top so there is no ventilation and the fan does not produce much air to cool down the laptop. Also, the laptop easily slides all over the place. Needless to say, I have already ordered a new lap desk/cooler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my 17" noteboo., March 22, 2014
Needed something large enough for my notebook. This fits the bill just fine. The fan is relatively quiet and does push air through to keep things cool. Would suggest if you do a lot of lap work you might want to use the padded unit. Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for gaming laptops!, November 16, 2013
I purchased this after a gaming laptop I used overheated, causing all the games I played on it to run like crap. It is a bit noisy, as other reviewers have noted, but it IS a fan and a fairly powerful one at that, and while it has been on, my laptop fan almost never needs to run and games run full speed. It works with 17" widescreen laptops... anything larger and it will be hanging over the side.

Other things I like about it:
I like how it shoots the air out the back as opposed to the sides, making it convenient to use in bed.
The slight tilt it gives the laptop is actually kind of nice for seeing the keyboard a little better.
It's also cool on my lap, so my little swimmers are happier. ;-)

6-month update:
So I am still using this regularly but have noticed that that USB power cord no longer sticks in the grooves, meaning occasionally it will be hanging down when not plugged in (e.g. used only as a stand).