6,192
Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NBC-XSLI-GP)
Size Name: X-SlimProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$17.91 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,162 of 1,193 people found the following review helpful
on May 27, 2011
Size Name: X2Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Currently, I own a 2008 Dell Latitude E6400, which always gets the "blue screen of death" from over-heating. Keep in mind, I often crossed my legs on my lap, allowing sufficient airflow to the cooling vent. I honestly thought notebook coolers were a niche product. Having had experience with the awful Targus PA248U1 Chill Mat, I had virtually given up on a notebook cooler being able to solve my alarming heat problem. However, I perused Amazon's site for a few hours and did my homework. I soon discovered the criteria that my prospective cooler needed to fit:

-College student's meager budget
-Solve severe laptop over-heating problem
-Style wasn't important. An ugly/effective cooler is better than vice versa.
-Casual web-surfing/movie-watching/paper-writing use. I don't need a gaming cooler, since I don't leave my laptop on for like 6-8 hours at a time.
-Ability to be used on the lap. I do lots of homework on the couch at my school's study lounge.
-Good Warranty when Amazon's return period expires
-Preferably one fan
-Preferably with an extra USB port
-Preferably a company that specializes in desktop/laptop cooling
-Most important: Something that will LAST a long time, more than 1 year.

Front-Runners

-Zalman NC-300U
-One fan, not-bulky, great workmanship, extra USB ports and fan control...man this had it all! While the price was a bit of a stretch (I still could have afforded it), it did not look lap-friendly at all.

-Antec "Classic" Cooler
-The three year warranty and trustability on the market since 2003 was really, REALLY tempting. However, the sole reason I did not choose this was that the wire adaptor looked very flimsy.

-X-Pad
-No fans, no electricity, cheap price, highly durable, effective rubber stoppers and beating out other coolers in a Cnet.com test made this very tempting! However, I have heard the customer service is non-responsive, the new rubber stinks and some users have reported the heat is transferred to their legs. Most of all, cooling ability depends on the laptop's design. Since my laptop's vent is on the side and not on in the center, I was skeptical. By the way, here is the link to that Cnet.com test:
[...]

-Thermaltake Massive23 LX
-This, in my opinion, was the most similar to my final decision. However, it looked really bulky and didn't seem suitable for lap use.

-Targus Lap Chill Mat AWE55US
-I really wanted to give Targus another chance, no hard feelings. It looked really roomy! However, it was reputed to not last longer than a year. After looking at the price against the reliability, I decided against it

-Cooler Master Notepal U2
-While the fan-positioning, price and #1 best-selling status made this a front-runner, I decided against this for 3 reasons: the fans weren't known to last long, the wiring was exposed and it wasn't good for lap use

-Logitech Cooling Pad N100
-The silent operation, rear-intake and how it was designed specifically for the lap was really tempting. However, the material looked flimsy, it was reviewed to not last long and the airflow was not adjustable. I needed a really strong fan.

First Impressions

When I opened to box, I was immediately struck by how much sturdier, classier and compact it looks in person. I was reading the reviews and I noticed some say its bulky, but for my needs, I don't find this an issue. I carry a leather briefcase in addition to my laptop backpack, so I'll just stick this in there so it doesn't get crushed.

Performance

I used a free program called CPUID Hardware Monitor to record the temperature with and without the cooler.

Without and wireless on (casual web surfing): 108 Degrees Fahrenheit
With (high speed) and wireless on (watching movie online): 100 Degrees Fahrenheit
With (high speed) and wireless on (casual web surfing): 98 Degrees Fahrenheit
With (high speed) and wireless off: 94 Degrees Fahrenheit

Pros

-The aluminum "mesh belly" dissipates heat effectively. I'd also imagine that it would make using a can of compressed air easy.
-Cool Light-up effect. Not only does it look space-age, but it lets you know that the cooler is on.
-On/Off Switch. As I have been told, this is more valuable than you think because detaching the USB cord while the fan is on could possibly shorten the cooler's life. I would turn it off first before disconnecting it
-Fan Control. Its stiff (indicating great build-quality) and responsive. At a touch or two below max level, it's still very quiet!
-Having one large fan instead of two smaller ones is rather nice. Not only is it quieter, but distributes heat evenly. Even though my laptop's main vent is located on the left side (as opposed to the "windier" center of the cooler), it still cools very well!
-Pop-out legs for height adjustment
-2 USB ports, one to connect your laptop and one to replace the USB port you gave up connecting this cooler. That means you don't give up any USB ports at all to connect this cooler to.
-Detachable USB cord is well-constructed. If you don't want to use up your laptop's battery, you can plug in the USB cord into an MP3/Cell phone charger.
-Unlike some other (especially more high-end) notebook coolers on the market, this can be used comfortably on the lap. While it does not have a mesh underside, the plastic is surprisingly comfortable and does not conduct any heat to my legs.
-1 year warranty

Cons

-Doesn't look easy to take apart to really clean inside the nook and crannies.
-Perforated edges don't hold my laptop securely. The crannies between my laptop and battery pack thankfully provide a good anchor to the cooler. A rubber stopper on the surface (like on the Cooler Master Notepal U2) or pop-up legs on the bottom (like on the Logitech Speaker Lap Desk N700) would have been nice.

To buy or not to buy...?

For day one, I'll let the performance speak for itself. However, I will keep you posted if anything arises.

Thanks for reading and good luck on your search!
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2010
Size Name: X2Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Unbelievable difference in temp!
My older HP was getting very hot to the touch on the top and bottom of the processor, my internal fan was running all the time, not any more.
My laptop stays on all day, I am an artist and have several programs running at the same time. I use a larger battery so I was concerned about the ergonomic design (elevation), its very comfortable, fits my 15" laptop just perfect.
The plastic seems very durable, and I appreciate the aluminium screen(grate)for its great air flow, the fan does blow up onto the bottom of the laptop. No sliding problem with the rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop.
Really quiet fan, even when I keep it on high.
I would highly recommend this product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2011
Size Name: X-SlimProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I didn't purchase this product through amazon but I wanted to add this review regardless as I often do use amazon to either purchase products or read reviews about products that I am interested in buying. I thought this review might help someone else out just as the many reviews I have read here over the years have helped me out on occasion. So here's my story.

I went into the store to get a laptop cooler for a laptop who's gpu runs very hot. I brought the laptop with me of course so that I could make sure whichever cooler I got would be the best fit and provide the best cooling to the affected area. The guy that was helping me was kind enough to let me try a few of them out right there in the store. I narrowed it down to two, this Cooler Master X-Slim and a Thermaltake Massive 23. While the Thermaltake looked very cool with its blue leds and seemed to be pretty well made, the Cooler Master was the winner. It cooled the laptop down a good 10 degrees more than the Thermaltake. Not to take anything away from the Thermaltake, it was also a very nice product, but I have been very satisfied with the products that I have gotten from Cooler Master and this is no exception. I am pleased with the peformance of the X-Slim. It is a great cooler for a great price.

P.S. There are two other things that I liked about this product, one is that the laptop fit very snugly on it, and two is that it has flip down tabs on the back with rubber feet, similar to what you would have on a keyboard for a desktop computer, so you could either lay it flat or have it on a slight incline.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2012
Size Name: X3Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
i have gone through 3 other cooling pads, the coolermaster U2, the thermaltake massive, and this other unbranded one that had 2 big fans, well this looks a lot nicer then the thermal massive one, and it cools a looot better. the way the blue LED's light up the fan looks pretty sexy actually, now it is very big, and it isn't very portable, now if you don't care about looks then get the u2/u3, those fans are actually really strong and are a little more quite then the fan on this one, they basically cool the same though, its just the base isn't as nice. Some people say they have a laptop slipping problem but mine doesn't slip off... also the "palm cooler" dosn't really blow out too much air, but it keeps the hands a little bit cool, especially if your laptop gets hot... but overall the product is really nice, a little pricey but good non the less

edit/week 2
-well some things i have noticed in the past week, the first think is the serial number sticker came right off, the rubber feet on the bottom of the laptop are unsticking and are somewhat fallng apart, and now when i have it on full with my laptop on it makes a weird sound... im sure it is fine but the sound scares me

edit/week 4
-well i have noticed that the fan is actually supposed to make that sound when it is on full blast so that's fine, also the rubber feet aren't glued on the bottom they are actually clipped on in some way so that's why it looked like it was unsticking, i have moved it around a lot and it still works great, but another thing thing bad that i noticed was that it makes a nasty burning plastic smell, i don't know if its just because it blowing the hot air and it just smells like it or not, but whatever, also the metal top on it is actually getting quite slippery, when it is at the normal angle it is fine, but when you raise it with the pegs it slips very slowly down it, which is quite dangerous, overall i'm happy with this product, Definitely the best laptop cooler i have used

i would also like to add how well the fan works so here are the temperature of my CPU's 4 cores (in Fahrenheit)

W/O Fan (Regular Use)

Core 1- 93-102
Core 2- 84-100
Core 3- 90-102
Core 4- 93-106

as you can see in terms of everyday regular use like watching videos on youtube or just surfing the web it did keep the laptop about an average of 8 degrees cooler

W/O Fan (Gaming Use)

Core 1- 140-163
Core 2- 135-158
Core 3- 140-165
Core 4- 140-172

As you can see the fan does help when you are hardcore gaming, keeping it around an average of 10 degrees cooler, which is significant

I would also like to add that this is not very comfortable on the lap with the back pegs sticking out, but with its regular position it feels okay, overall i lowered the rating to a 4 because this basically cools a little better thn the u2 that i had bought for 12 bucks, the only difference is that this cooler looks very cool and works when its on the lap, i will update this review next week as well if there are any other problems that arise

UPDATE: May 4, 2014

Still using this laptop cooler after a year and a half, still works and looks awesome! I don't just use it as a cooler but as a lap stand too!

edit/ i have done some more tests on how well the fan works, i have updated the above information
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2010
Size Name: X2Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This laptop cooler does a great job and the fan is VERY quiet.

This laptop fan blows air up onto the bottom of the laptop to keep it cool. While the fan doesn't blow a huge amount of air from the laptop cooler, it does blow out enough air to keep the laptop's temps lower than without it.

We used HWMonitor (a free program you can find on the web) to monitor the laptop temps. We notice a 7c to 9c temp drop of the CPU and a 6c temp drop of the hard drive.

Well worth the money.
[...].
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 19, 2011
Size Name: X2Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
The cooler master is quiet keeps part of my laptop cool. but the part that doesnt get cool is the part i need it to cool. the lower left side. I think this is where my hard drive is. The Fan is big but its in the middle of the cooler and i would say its great for a 15" or smaller laptop. In fact the box shows an image of a 15" laptop as the "up to" size and then under this image as an after thought it put 17".

There is a roller type thing on the side of the cooler to regulate the speed of the fan. i saw no difference in speed. there is also an on off switch that works but i find it useless. it connects with a usb to usb, very good construction and replaces your lost port by giving you an extra port on the back of the cooler. i liked that, it was a good spot to hook up speakers. but i had to return mine. i needed something to cool a larger notebook so my search continues.

if you have a small 15" or smaller laptop this fan is great. i have only owned it a few days but i can see it is made well and cooler master is a name i trust.

there is one other problem, the cooler master pulls air from the bottom of the cooler so if its on your lap you will be obstructing the air flow unless you use those tiny legs to prop it up on your thighs. that hurts and the legs go in all the time anyway and the lap top constantly falls off the fan. i was putting it on top of its box and then on my lap. there is a design problem here and unless you see the box you really cant tell. but it may only be a problem on large laptops i dont know.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2012
Size Name: X-SlimProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I've been using an Xpad Slim for some time but they were cheaply made and broke in less than a year. After months of looking for something similar I came across the Coolermaster X-Pal. I received it today and out of the box it works just the same 'passively' except it also gives me the option to turn on a fan. Although the X-Pal is a bit thicker, quality is much better and the mesh surface is flat all across thus gripping my 17.3" laptop a lot better compared to the X-Pad slim -- which is 'arched' up on the center of the pad and makes my laptop spin around. The 'passthrough' USB-powered fan is approximately 6 inches in diameter and housed inside the center of a heavy-duty plastic base. There are also multiple cooling vents on all angles from the bottom and sides. The USB plug is neatly tucked away flushed underneath to the base, and the cord is managed and conceals in the same manner. This is excellent for someone (like me) who chooses not to power the fan as often and uses the pad as passive cooling. The only time I use the fan is when I do home video renderings with Sony Vegas Movie Studio, this will help cool my CPU and Memory modules. Depending on your type of machine (I have Dell XPS17 w/ Intel Corei7, 8GB RAM), under normal usage with the fan on, this helped cool my laptop on average of about 4-6 Celsius during normal tasks....and I'm ready for summer!

The good:

- Quiet! You can hear the air but not the fan, and the air passes 100% through the meshed surface.
- USB power plug/cable conceals neatly without any obstruction.
- Very lightweight
- Tilt-able

The negatives:

- There are not enough internal support for the fan in between the mesh grill surface and bottom base. The fan is sandwiched between them and has less than 2mm of play reaching the surface. If the fan is turned on, it can easily be pushed upwards while moving around which can cause it to scrape the inner upper surface and produces a pretty nasty grind.

- The X-Pal itself has an overall rounded edge and corner design, but there ARE sharp protrusions stemming from the USB pass-through plug. The edges from the female end of the plug is not as sharp per se but the corners of it are very pointy which can give you a 'kitty scratch' if your hands are accidentally swiped. This can also damage your fabric or upholstery if not you're not careful. Again, I'm not worried because I will not be using the feature as much.

Overall this is an excellent product, so far it has served my purposes and I'm happy to have purchased it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2011
Size Name: X-SlimProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This is a great cooling pad,elegant and smart design,one massive fan at the middle that push the air in all direction that means the whole laptop stays cool,I notice about 5 degrees cooler ,also quiet,very sturdy,strong construction,the usb connector can be neatly channel to the left or right side of your laptop, no need to elevate the front to get more air,this design is pushing more air without elevation compare to other cooling pads,perfect fit for my 16 inch toshiba satellite also accomodate my 17 inch satellite without problems,if your looking for the best cooling pad at a great price look no further...
review image review image review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2013
Size Name: X-SlimProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I did a lot of research and review reading before choosing this cooling pad for my 17" MacBook Pro which runs very hot when charging a battery & when using Photoshop CS6 for intensive design work and also when client computers are connected to it for repair of those units (running TechTool, DiskWarrior, etc.). Recently the OEM battery ended up splitting apart -- now that could be from heat OR defect or both -- and I didn't want to have the same issue with the replacement battery which is brand new (non-Apple) and not cheap. The pad is JUST big enough to hold the 17" MacBook. It made a huge difference within minutes of being used with the laptop charging a battery and displaying a movie! The top surface near the screen would normally get very hot when a battery was being charged especially, but within minutes of the cool pad being in use, the surface is barely lukewarm. The bottom of the laptop which gets very hot during battery charging and intensive use was/is many degrees cooler.

PROS:
* Very open design allowing for maximum air flow from all sides.
* Sturdy metal grill over the whole top surface (probably aluminum, though it feels a bit rigid for it to be pure aluminum).
* Excellent air flow! More than I expected, actually.
* VERY quiet (21dBA according to manufacturer specs.)!! The typical laptop cooling laptop fans (for both Macs. & PCs) are far louder and, in the case of my MacBook Pro, would completely drown out any noise coming from this cooling pad (when running at full speed). Definite bonus to have the cooling pad running with very little noise!
* Very sturdy and quite big rubber feet on the bottom ensure that slipping on surfaces isn't likely. With the added weight of a laptop sitting on the cooling pad, I don't see how it would move even if cords are accidentally yanked.
* Speaking of cords, the channel underneath the unit for the USB cord is very well designed and effectively keeps excess cord length out of the way.
* Nice long USB cord so the unit can be plugged into any available USB port on any laptop -- be it on the sides or the back.
* Pass through feature on the plug is very handy for laptops with limited USB ports available. Since the plug is a bit "chunky" some may not like to deal with it on the sides of their laptops -- especially Mac. users -- so I'll note that the cooling pad DOES work just as effectively when plugged into a USB hub. This is where the additional cord length would come in handy as well. I didn't try it with a USB power unit plugged into a wall outlet, so I can't say if that would work -- though I can't see why it wouldn't.
* Flip down feet on the back bottom surface allows for tilting of the laptop. Handy because the cool pad does raise the computer up about 2". The angling "feet" would also serve to increase airflow even more.
* Stays on even when the laptop is put into "sleep" mode -- at least with Macs. it does. Some of that will be dependent on laptop make and model.... Many PC laptops cut power to USB ports when in "sleep" or "suspend" mode.

CONS:
* Minor --- do wish the product came in at least a silver/aluminum finish.
* Minor to Moderate --- would be nice if the unit had an optional power adapter connection for those who don't want the unit to drain power from a laptop running on battery power. Also, as noted above in the pros section, some laptops cut power to USB ports when in "sleep" or "suspend" mode and all do so when the computer is turned off. This is a con because those computers are still capable of charging batteries and, thereby, heating up. Macs. especially get very warm while charging batteries. So, how big a con this is depends on your individual computer's functions.
* Moderate --- the pass through connector could & should be much smaller. It sticks out quite a bit and I can see how someone could damage the USB port by hitting the connector accidentally. This risk is only magnified when another USB device is piggy-backed onto the already big connector. This is also where a power adapter would come in handy so users wouldn't have to plug it into their USB ports, thereby eliminating the risk of damage. The plug itself if well constructed and quite sturdy, but, because it IS so tough, the ports could easily sustain damage from accidental impact.

NOTE:
The cooling pad has a raised center grill directly above the fan. I note this only because I'm not sure there isn't a laptop out there somewhere which doesn't have "feet" to keep it slightly raised above the surface it rests on. If your laptop doesn't have "feet" you may have some difficulty resting it with any stability on this cooling pad.

CONCLUSION:
All in all, I'm very happy with this cooling pad and would definitely purchase it again. As an Apple tech. support provider, I'll also be recommending this cooling pad to my clients! If you have an Apple laptop that you use for more than just surfing the web and word processing, this cooling pad is an indispensable tool to extend the life of your computer's hardware. You don't need fancy LED lights, etc., which just draw more power.... A cooling fan just needs to cool a laptop efficiently & effectively... That's what this unit does and does it well!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2010
Size Name: X2Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I have a 17" HP DV7 series laptop. The fan blows very hot air and spots on the bottom of the laptop get hot. After reading all of the laptop cooler reviews I could find and speaking with IT professionals, I purchased the Cooler Master X2. (IT professionals have a good opinion of Cooler Master products).

The X2 has a single, large variable speed fan. With the X2 on its slowest speed my laptop fan blows warm (not hot) air and the bottom is cool. At the highest speed my laptop blows cool air. The surface of the X2 is metal mesh with lots of holes that also help to cool a laptop. Bottom line, the X2 works well at any speed.

The fan is not silent. You can hear it at slow speed but it isn't objectionable. It is louder at high speed but not so much that it is a bother. I expected some noise from the large fan. I run it about mid speed, which is as quiet as slow speed. Being centrally located it blows air into all of the intake vents on my laptop.

The X2 is angled and has two settings. It took some time to get used to the angle but it is comfortable. If you have typed on an angled laptop before the X2 should be fine for you.

The X2 is advertised to support a laptop up to 17". My 17" laptop has small bottom feet that barely fit on the X2. It does fit, however, and the X2 holds my laptop firmly.

If you have a 17" laptop measure the spacing between the feet and the dimensions of the cooler and make sure they match. Also make sure the air intake ports on your laptop are not blocked by the cooler, that the fan(s) blow air where your intake ports are, and that the laptop fan vent is not blocked. The X2 is designed so that these probably will not be a problem.

I highly recommend the X2. It took care of my heat problem, holds my laptop securely and comfortably, and is well built.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations