3,218 Reviews
 (1,821)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master - The Best
I didn't purchase this product through amazon but I wanted to add this review regardless as I often do use amazon to either purchase products or read reviews about products that I am interested in buying. I thought this review might help someone else out just as the many reviews I have read here over the years have helped me out on occasion. So here's my story...
Published on November 20, 2011 by Vince

Published 20 months ago by Alix

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master - The Best, November 20, 2011

I went into the store to get a laptop cooler for a laptop who's gpu runs very hot. I brought the laptop with me of course so that I could make sure whichever cooler I got would be the best fit and provide the best cooling to the affected area. The guy that was helping me was kind enough to let me try a few of them out right there in the store. I narrowed it down to two, this Cooler Master X-Slim and a Thermaltake Massive 23. While the Thermaltake looked very cool with its blue leds and seemed to be pretty well made, the Cooler Master was the winner. It cooled the laptop down a good 10 degrees more than the Thermaltake. Not to take anything away from the Thermaltake, it was also a very nice product, but I have been very satisfied with the products that I have gotten from Cooler Master and this is no exception. I am pleased with the peformance of the X-Slim. It is a great cooler for a great price.

P.S. There are two other things that I liked about this product, one is that the laptop fit very snugly on it, and two is that it has flip down tabs on the back with rubber feet, similar to what you would have on a keyboard for a desktop computer, so you could either lay it flat or have it on a slight incline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice/ Works Nice Too, August 17, 2012
This review is from: Cooler Master NotePal X3 - Gaming Laptop Cooling Pad with 200mm Blue LED Fan (Personal Computers)
i have gone through 3 other cooling pads, the coolermaster U2, the thermaltake massive, and this other unbranded one that had 2 big fans, well this looks a lot nicer then the thermal massive one, and it cools a looot better. the way the blue LED's light up the fan looks pretty sexy actually, now it is very big, and it isn't very portable, now if you don't care about looks then get the u2/u3, those fans are actually really strong and are a little more quite then the fan on this one, they basically cool the same though, its just the base isn't as nice. Some people say they have a laptop slipping problem but mine doesn't slip off... also the "palm cooler" dosn't really blow out too much air, but it keeps the hands a little bit cool, especially if your laptop gets hot... but overall the product is really nice, a little pricey but good non the less

edit/week 2
-well some things i have noticed in the past week, the first think is the serial number sticker came right off, the rubber feet on the bottom of the laptop are unsticking and are somewhat fallng apart, and now when i have it on full with my laptop on it makes a weird sound... im sure it is fine but the sound scares me

edit/week 4
-well i have noticed that the fan is actually supposed to make that sound when it is on full blast so that's fine, also the rubber feet aren't glued on the bottom they are actually clipped on in some way so that's why it looked like it was unsticking, i have moved it around a lot and it still works great, but another thing thing bad that i noticed was that it makes a nasty burning plastic smell, i don't know if its just because it blowing the hot air and it just smells like it or not, but whatever, also the metal top on it is actually getting quite slippery, when it is at the normal angle it is fine, but when you raise it with the pegs it slips very slowly down it, which is quite dangerous, overall i'm happy with this product, Definitely the best laptop cooler i have used

i would also like to add how well the fan works so here are the temperature of my CPU's 4 cores (in Fahrenheit)

W/O Fan (Regular Use)

Core 1- 93-102
Core 2- 84-100
Core 3- 90-102
Core 4- 93-106

as you can see in terms of everyday regular use like watching videos on youtube or just surfing the web it did keep the laptop about an average of 8 degrees cooler

W/O Fan (Gaming Use)

Core 1- 140-163
Core 2- 135-158
Core 3- 140-165
Core 4- 140-172

As you can see the fan does help when you are hardcore gaming, keeping it around an average of 10 degrees cooler, which is significant

I would also like to add that this is not very comfortable on the lap with the back pegs sticking out, but with its regular position it feels okay, overall i lowered the rating to a 4 because this basically cools a little better thn the u2 that i had bought for 12 bucks, the only difference is that this cooler looks very cool and works when its on the lap, i will update this review next week as well if there are any other problems that arise

UPDATE: May 4, 2014

Still using this laptop cooler after a year and a half, still works and looks awesome! I don't just use it as a cooler but as a lap stand too!

edit/ i have done some more tests on how well the fan works, i have updated the above information

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a 'passive' cooling pad., May 19, 2012
80sGuy (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been using an Xpad Slim for some time but they were cheaply made and broke in less than a year. After months of looking for something similar I came across the Coolermaster X-Pal. I received it today and out of the box it works just the same 'passively' except it also gives me the option to turn on a fan. Although the X-Pal is a bit thicker, quality is much better and the mesh surface is flat all across thus gripping my 17.3" laptop a lot better compared to the X-Pad slim -- which is 'arched' up on the center of the pad and makes my laptop spin around. The 'passthrough' USB-powered fan is approximately 6 inches in diameter and housed inside the center of a heavy-duty plastic base. There are also multiple cooling vents on all angles from the bottom and sides. The USB plug is neatly tucked away flushed underneath to the base, and the cord is managed and conceals in the same manner. This is excellent for someone (like me) who chooses not to power the fan as often and uses the pad as passive cooling. The only time I use the fan is when I do home video renderings with Sony Vegas Movie Studio, this will help cool my CPU and Memory modules. Depending on your type of machine (I have Dell XPS17 w/ Intel Corei7, 8GB RAM), under normal usage with the fan on, this helped cool my laptop on average of about 4-6 Celsius during normal tasks....and I'm ready for summer!

The good:

- Quiet! You can hear the air but not the fan, and the air passes 100% through the meshed surface.
- USB power plug/cable conceals neatly without any obstruction.
- Very lightweight
- Tilt-able

The negatives:

- There are not enough internal support for the fan in between the mesh grill surface and bottom base. The fan is sandwiched between them and has less than 2mm of play reaching the surface. If the fan is turned on, it can easily be pushed upwards while moving around which can cause it to scrape the inner upper surface and produces a pretty nasty grind.

- The X-Pal itself has an overall rounded edge and corner design, but there ARE sharp protrusions stemming from the USB pass-through plug. The edges from the female end of the plug is not as sharp per se but the corners of it are very pointy which can give you a 'kitty scratch' if your hands are accidentally swiped. This can also damage your fabric or upholstery if not you're not careful. Again, I'm not worried because I will not be using the feature as much.

Overall this is an excellent product, so far it has served my purposes and I'm happy to have purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solution for a 17" MacBook Pro, February 8, 2013
Fizgig (New York City) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research and review reading before choosing this cooling pad for my 17" MacBook Pro which runs very hot when charging a battery & when using Photoshop CS6 for intensive design work and also when client computers are connected to it for repair of those units (running TechTool, DiskWarrior, etc.). Recently the OEM battery ended up splitting apart -- now that could be from heat OR defect or both -- and I didn't want to have the same issue with the replacement battery which is brand new (non-Apple) and not cheap. The pad is JUST big enough to hold the 17" MacBook. It made a huge difference within minutes of being used with the laptop charging a battery and displaying a movie! The top surface near the screen would normally get very hot when a battery was being charged especially, but within minutes of the cool pad being in use, the surface is barely lukewarm. The bottom of the laptop which gets very hot during battery charging and intensive use was/is many degrees cooler.

PROS:
* Very open design allowing for maximum air flow from all sides.
* Sturdy metal grill over the whole top surface (probably aluminum, though it feels a bit rigid for it to be pure aluminum).
* Excellent air flow! More than I expected, actually.
* VERY quiet (21dBA according to manufacturer specs.)!! The typical laptop cooling laptop fans (for both Macs. & PCs) are far louder and, in the case of my MacBook Pro, would completely drown out any noise coming from this cooling pad (when running at full speed). Definite bonus to have the cooling pad running with very little noise!
* Very sturdy and quite big rubber feet on the bottom ensure that slipping on surfaces isn't likely. With the added weight of a laptop sitting on the cooling pad, I don't see how it would move even if cords are accidentally yanked.
* Speaking of cords, the channel underneath the unit for the USB cord is very well designed and effectively keeps excess cord length out of the way.
* Nice long USB cord so the unit can be plugged into any available USB port on any laptop -- be it on the sides or the back.
* Pass through feature on the plug is very handy for laptops with limited USB ports available. Since the plug is a bit "chunky" some may not like to deal with it on the sides of their laptops -- especially Mac. users -- so I'll note that the cooling pad DOES work just as effectively when plugged into a USB hub. This is where the additional cord length would come in handy as well. I didn't try it with a USB power unit plugged into a wall outlet, so I can't say if that would work -- though I can't see why it wouldn't.
* Flip down feet on the back bottom surface allows for tilting of the laptop. Handy because the cool pad does raise the computer up about 2". The angling "feet" would also serve to increase airflow even more.
* Stays on even when the laptop is put into "sleep" mode -- at least with Macs. it does. Some of that will be dependent on laptop make and model.... Many PC laptops cut power to USB ports when in "sleep" or "suspend" mode.

CONS:
* Minor --- do wish the product came in at least a silver/aluminum finish.
* Minor to Moderate --- would be nice if the unit had an optional power adapter connection for those who don't want the unit to drain power from a laptop running on battery power. Also, as noted above in the pros section, some laptops cut power to USB ports when in "sleep" or "suspend" mode and all do so when the computer is turned off. This is a con because those computers are still capable of charging batteries and, thereby, heating up. Macs. especially get very warm while charging batteries. So, how big a con this is depends on your individual computer's functions.
* Moderate --- the pass through connector could & should be much smaller. It sticks out quite a bit and I can see how someone could damage the USB port by hitting the connector accidentally. This risk is only magnified when another USB device is piggy-backed onto the already big connector. This is also where a power adapter would come in handy so users wouldn't have to plug it into their USB ports, thereby eliminating the risk of damage. The plug itself if well constructed and quite sturdy, but, because it IS so tough, the ports could easily sustain damage from accidental impact.

NOTE:
The cooling pad has a raised center grill directly above the fan. I note this only because I'm not sure there isn't a laptop out there somewhere which doesn't have "feet" to keep it slightly raised above the surface it rests on. If your laptop doesn't have "feet" you may have some difficulty resting it with any stability on this cooling pad.

CONCLUSION:
All in all, I'm very happy with this cooling pad and would definitely purchase it again. As an Apple tech. support provider, I'll also be recommending this cooling pad to my clients! If you have an Apple laptop that you use for more than just surfing the web and word processing, this cooling pad is an indispensable tool to extend the life of your computer's hardware. You don't need fancy LED lights, etc., which just draw more power.... A cooling fan just needs to cool a laptop efficiently & effectively... That's what this unit does and does it well!

1.0 out of 5 stars First Amazon review: Had to let you know what you're about to get into..., January 24, 2013
I had high hopes for this product, and the first few weeks of using it was perfect. However, things slowly began to fall apart. The USB cord came unhitched from inside the casing, and I could NOT get inside to fix it = frustrating. I did my best to keep the cord out of the way, but eventually it hit at just the right moment and a piece of the fan broke off. Even if I could figure out a way to break into the case and remove the shard, the broken fan makes the whole thing wobble terribly. Basically, it's a cheap product, so don't expect to use it for more than a few months to year (if you're a more delicate person than me, I suppose).

4.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master Quality, February 11, 2012
Paul (Chattanooga, TN) - See all my reviews
I spent a lot of time looking for the right laptop cooler, I even did a little hands on shopping at the local big boy toy store. This model is REALLY thin and VERY light, probably the absolute easiest to put in a bag without looking like something just exploded inside. You'll definitely want this one if you have a large laptop like mine, (17" HP Pavilion dv7), it fits quite perfectly underneath and has fold out lifts in the back if you need them. There are rubber cushions on all 4 corners and the fold out legs. This unit allows you to plug into either side of the computer's USB in case you have a cable conflict on one side, the cable fits out of the way underneath the cooler. Quiet, YES. I can't hear the fan at all but the large fan moves air quite well. Not sure whats not to like here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver.....or should I say Hard Drive saver!, October 12, 2012
LoriAnnR (Lewistown, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I own a Dell Studio laptop. It gets very hot when I use it for extended periods of time and frankly, fairly hot with only brief incidental use. Turns out that when I looked up reviews about this laptop - it's a major complaint (only one fan and it does not produce enough airflow to properly cool the unit - many documented issues with hard drives going bad).

So my hard drive goes bad - I have it replaced and in less than a year my computer is running sluggish. Turns out my hard drive is bad AGAIN (thank goodness it was under warranty)! This time, a relative installs a free program from CNet.com called SpeedFan that can tell me the temperature of my hard drive as well as other temps such as the core. My laptop was consistently over 100 degrees for most of these temperatures and one time, my hard drive was over 130.

So, when I realized how hot my laptop was running and realized that this could very well be creating the hard drive problems, I ordered this product. The temperature of my computer will drop 15-20 degrees within minutes upon connecting the fan. In fact, when I first turned on my computer this morning the hard drive was 100 degrees (not a huge deal however this was the temperature from merely sitting idle). Every temperature reading right now is below 100 and the hard drive is only reading 84 degrees.

So - I'm sold on this product. It was very affordable and produces a lot of air flow very quietly. I initially wished that this fan had an on/off switch since I thought the only way to turn the fan off was to unplug it from the USB port. What I realized however is that once my computer goes into "sleep mode" the fan also stops running so I'm inclinded to simply leave it plugged in all the time and not worry about unplugging it.

Some of the other reviews noted sharp edges on the USB connector - I didn't have this problem. Regarding the complaints of a hard drive crashing - I simply can't fathom why (or how) a fan which is only powered by the USB port (there is nothing that is downloaded) could make this happen.

I'm buying another one of these products for the 2nd laptop in our household. If your laptop is 17" or under - this is a great buy. I particularly like the feet that can elevate and tilt the laptop toward. My laptop also sits very securely on this unit and doesn't easily slide around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses expectation, August 2, 2012
Ok, its just a cooling pad. But compared to the Targus cooling pad that I had bought previously, its night and day. The laptop is barely lukewarm when I'm finished using it. Heck, even the top of the laptop seems cooler.
I haven't tried it on my lap while sitting down, but i didn't buy it with that intention, and I just ordered a second one for another laptop.

Bottom line: This pad is cheap and works like a champ.

4.0 out of 5 stars As Advertised, but Not Good for Macbook Pros, December 6, 2012
I ordered this product for my 13-inch macbook pro, which gets quite hot when I play games projected onto a TV through an HDMI.

The product did exactly as advertised, it's quite and blows quite a bit of air, sucking hot air away from the bottom of the laptop. The problem is that MBP's have no vents on the bottom- the MBP vents are at the back, where the screen meets the rest of the laptop. So, this isn't very effective at cooling my MBP.

However, I don't blame this on the product. It is working exactly as advertised, but I'd check you laptop to be sure you have vents on the bottom to use this product most effectively.

I will say that when putting up the little feet in the back, the fan becomes much louder. It's no longer "silent", it's actually rather loud. It is very quiet when the feet are down, but this reduces its cooling capabilities.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, January 8, 2013
I received this laptop cooler on November 14, and it's broken and unusable in less than two months. The cord was caught up inside and broke two of the fan blades off. I took it apart and removed the broken blades, put it back together, and it worked less than a day before another blade broke. I'll be looking for a different cooler.

Rate and Discover Movies