5.0 out of 5 stars Historic Story of Early Chinese-Americans, October 24, 2003
Kelley Hunsicker (Irmo, South Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coolies (Paperback)
Delightful story of two young boys who leave China and travel to US to earn money to send home. It begins because a grandmother is trying to teach her grandson the importance of honoring their ancestors.
The story is told by the young boys as they take us on the voyage, into the work camps and show us a glimpse of the predujices they faced in America.
It shows of the love the two boys have for each other and how they sacrifice to see to each others needs during this hard time. In spite of what they face, the boys remain optimistic.
The illustrations are beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chinese History, May 24, 2001
Joannie Lynn McGowan (Gainesville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Coolies is the historical (1865) story (told by a Grandmother to her grandsoon) of two Chinese brothers who are shipped off to work in America on the Transcontinental Railroad because of the Taiping Rebellion. This is a heart-warming story about how the brothers took care of each other and earned money to help their family survive back in China. The illustrations are wonderful! This is a great book to read for enjoyment and educational purposes. The brothers' story is a wonderful example of how one should value and support his/her family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Branden From Ashley River Creative Arts El.charle, December 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
The part I like about Coolies was when they went to put the dynamite on the edge of the cliff. Chris Sentpient is my favorite Illustrator because he writes good book. I gave you 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trevor from Ashley River Creative Art EL., December 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
The illustrations brought the book to life. My favorite part was when the boy went down in the cliff to put the dynamite in the rocks because I thought he would lose a finger from the dynamite. The pictures were so cool. I give the book 5 stars. The book was incredible!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book explores themes of family loyalty, courage, and sacrifice, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Coolies (Paperback)
During the Ching Ming festival to honor their ancestors, PawPaw (grandmother) tells her young grandson the story of her great-grandfather Shek and his brother younger brother, Wong. Anxious to find work during desperate times in China, the boys leave their family behind and immigrate to America in the mid 1800s. After a difficult two month voyage, the two arrive in San Francisco and are hired by the Central Pacific Railroad Company to build the tracks towards the east. Enduring dangerous working conditions, primitive equipment, hatred, and prejudice, the two become "coolies," the lowly workers who achieved the amazing feat of building of the transcontinental railroad. Told through the personal story of two brothers, the book explores themes of family loyalty, courage, and sacrifice which are integral to our nation's immigrant history. Illustrated with panoramic paintings, Coolies will inform and inspire young readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asians in America, January 29, 2007
This review is from: Coolies (Paperback)
My first inclination when I saw the title COOLIES was offensive, but as I read the book, I thought how appropriate the title was. I applaud the publisher and author for reminding us of the truth about the Chinese's struggle for dignity and equal rights. The illustrations are luminous and complimentary to the text. I appreciated the artist's attention to detail all the while capturing the human spirit and struggles of early Chinese life in America. This is a must have book for all libraries to include as part of Asian studies. Asians must owe it to the Chinese (especially the Cantonese) whose sacrifices paved the way for all Asians living comfortably in this country today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jake from Ashley River Creative Arts El., December 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
The Chinese came from China. The Chinese were working hard on the railroad. When they found out they were getting cheated, they went on strike. I like Chris Soentpiet's pictures because they are outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elliott at Ashley River Creative Arts El., January 17, 2002
A Kid's Review
I think it is a great book that I think everyone should read. It was a great story that had good detail and had awesome illustrations that go really good with the book. I also think that the railroad was a great Place for the two of the characters to work at all through the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killian from Ashley River Creative Arts El., December 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
The Chinese came over from China. The Chinese were working hard. They found they were getting cheated. I really liked the magnificent illustrations. The illustrations brought the book to life. I give the book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justin from Ashley River Creative Arts El, December 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
My favorite book was COOLIES! I like the railroad tracks and how the boy got frostbite. He lost two toes and that was sad. Your pitchers were incredible! I love the illustrations.I give this book 5 stars.

Coolies
Coolies by Yin (Paperback - May 26, 2003)
$7.99 $7.19