5.0 out of 5 stars Grade B Organic
Published on November 2, 2009 by James E. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Moderate Taste
Published on February 15, 2010 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Grade B Organic, November 2, 2009
There are generally 3 grades of maple syrup. Grade A is the first run - Mild in taste, sweet and with fewer minerals than the other grades. It is more expensive and less desirable (health and taste wise). Grade B is the second run with more minerals plus more maple taste. Grade C is the third run with even more minerals and an even stronger taste of maple and it's slightly less pleasant for most people.

Maple syrup has a large variety of minerals and vitamins and Grade B Organic is my favorite, considering it's stronger flavor and higher nutrition content. Of course, Organic is the only way to eat food now, but that's another story.

Coombs Family Farm provides a very satisfactory grade B organic Maple Syrup! I've used a lot!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Moderate Taste, February 15, 2010
Chris (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
Having grown up in sugar maple country and bought syrup from the farmers in unmarked gallon cans ('store syrup' never entered our house), I have plenty of experience with maple syrup. [Tip: maple trees and maple syrup are 'organic' by definition. Farmers who tap trees add nothing. Don't pay more for 'organic'.] At our house we 'sugared off' every Winter. For those who know what I'm talking about, read on. For those who don't have any idea, you may be happy with this product.

The Good: This syrup is priced right (purchased at $17.31). It is a good buy and you should not be shy at purchasing. It's really about a 3 star minus or 2.5 stars.

The Not So Good: Grade B syrup is normally 'mapley' with caramel notes. This syrup LACKS the strong maple flavors that make it suitable for cooking or a good match for those who like strong flavors, but it does NOT have the complexity or finesse of a Grade A Amber. In short it is rather bland and pedestrian for maple syrup. What we don't know is whether the trees tapped for this label vary from year to year but this batch is uninteresting. I bought it as an alternative to Whole Foods label (about $20) but quite frankly the Whole Foods Grade A Amber has a stronger maple flavor with more complexity and the Whole Foods Grade B is significantly stronger in flavor. I would rate the Whole Foods Grade A Amber as a 4 star minus, and the Grade B as 4-5 stars.

June 2014 update: Costco Grade B (Kirkland) is excellent at a good price. Given Costco's practice of buying 'lots' and not buying again, or shifting suppliers for their house label products, this may not work (but worth a try which is why I amended this review).
August 2014 update: Costco is selling Grade A Dark Amber (USDA Organic), flavor less interesting than Whole Foods Grade B but good buy for the money, less interesting than Whole Foods and the former stuff but about half the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great syrup, September 19, 2009
I normally use organic grade A syrup, and I find this syrup to be better. It has a darker color, and a stronger maple taste, which I love. I definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coombs Family Farms 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup Grade B, 32-Ounce Jug, March 14, 2011
Coombs Family Farms 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup Grade B, 32-Ounce Jug:

I remember when my grandmother would make pancakes, waffles or potato pancakes and the maple syrup was just so delightful to the taste. She would warm it up on the old gas stove. You'd think that all of the major brands of "pancake syrup maple flavored," would stop using high fructose corn syrup.

One day last week I had the chance to take my granddaughter out grocery shopping with me. Not one of my best things to do, but I thought, how would she learn to shop and look for the good stuff, not the crap that's advertised on television, but the products that really work and the one's that are good for you. Reading the labels is a major chore as what you thought was in the product wasn't even close to being in the product. Somebody has to teach her and it was my lucky day.

Take for example, pancake syrup or what used to be called maple syrup in my day. You look at the labels, today... never is there mention of a maple tree, not even close, all fructose or high fructose corn syrup. So, I told her that maple syrup comes from sugar maple tree sap that has the water content reduced and I asked her if she could find a reference to a maple tree in the contents. Well, you know the answer, there isn't any on the major or store brands.

I told her that Coombs makes a maple syrup that reminded me of when I was growing up. Well, after a few grocery stores later and checking their stock we came across the Coombs Family Farms Maple Syrup.

Now, I know, I've been telling my granddaughter about how I grew up, so she wasn't going to let me off the hook so easily. You guessed it... I made pancakes and we used the Coombs Family Farms Maple Syrup, warmed up on the stove just like grandma did. She said, "That's the best Maple Syrup I've ever tasted." I told her that's because it's real maple syrup.

A lesson learned, and I was pleased to make pancakes for my granddaughter, this is one of those moments you don't forget in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maple Syrup, November 20, 2009
R. Crosby (Lakeville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
There's maple syrup and there's maple syrup. My wife and I are from the East Coast (she from Vermont) and we've tried maple syrup from other regions and those just don't measure up to a Vermont syrup. Although this product does say some of the raw materials come from Canada, this is an excellent example of a Vermont Maple Syrup. As a "Grade B" product, it has the rich, deep-bodied flavor and color one would expect, but this one makes pancakes and waffles a different experience entirely. I would recommend the Coombs product highly to anyone who's looking for a top quality maple syrup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich & Delicious, January 9, 2010
My husband and I have been enjoying Trader Joe's Grade B Maple Syrup for years, and the Coombs Family Farms Grade B is equally good and darker, with perhaps an even deeper, richer flavor! Anyone who appreciates a true maple flavor will love this syrup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Top Quality., September 10, 2009
I grew up on the east coast and have been to the northeast quite a bit and other than right out of the tree, don't think you could find better. This was excellent in my opinion. I bought it on sale for 17.50 which was a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Highland Farms has better flavor than Coombs, November 24, 2009
janvier25 (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I tried Coombs syrup just after Highland Farms and before Chafee Farm's. Coombs had a mildly unpleasant burnt caramel taste that I didn't care for in comparison, though it was fine used in recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an affordable Luxury, June 3, 2011
R. Williams (KEARNEY, NE, US) - See all my reviews
Living in Nebraska, we can purchase real maple syrup in the store, but I really like supporting family farms directly. This way, I'm pretty sure that the products I purchase are top quality. If not, I can go to the producer. I'm no conniseuer of maple syrup like some people on Amazon are, but I can say this has a great maple flavor, the consistency is a little thinner than store bought, imitation maple syrup, but that stuff has artificial thickeners in it. Remember, this is tree sap, boiled down to reduce the water and increase the sugar content. Nothing more nothing less. This syrup makes you want to lick the plate when you're done with the pancakes. One note, they need to do something to better protect the black plastic cap on the top of the jug because mine was broken when it came. The jug is sealed well, so nothing spilled. Not a big deal, but someone picky might pitch a fit about something trivial. Buy real maple syrup whether from this company or another, you owe it to yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, November 7, 2009
This is amazing syrup. You have to watch the price though. It fluctuates on Amazon quite a bit. I bought this when it as offered on a buy one get one free deal. Two bottles for $26! Better deal than I can find locally. Works great on waffles, pancakes and in baking.

Original review 11/2009. Update 9/2012
I have this item on subscribe. It is listed as unavailable. However, it is for sale for a *new* subscription at a savings of only 5% instead of the 15% I have waiting on my list page. Come on Amazon! Do you think we would not notice the price change?
Watch what you pay since the subscribes are changing so much. Plus, even if I asked for it now, the policy is not to ship until my assigned date next month anyway.
For now, I am going with another product and wait to see if they actually send me a jug of this or just cancel my current subscription to force me to change to the more expensive offer.