Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 21, 1997
As a mental health practitioner, the book provides in depth explanations and information which provides clients with information and validation of symptoms and behaviors.

Unfortunately, not all clients will be able to understand the book because of some terminology. However, it is useful information which can be dicussed in session.

As a person with PTSD, I found the book validating, informatiave, and positive. The author's tone throughout the book, is positive and hopeful. He answered questions I've had for years, but didn't ask
on July 28, 2001
Whether you are a professional working with trauma clients, a person who has undergone significant trauma, or the family member or friend of that person, you MUST get this book.
Buy it because you will want to return to it again and again. Jon Allen writes with compassion and respect about the effects of trauma, both psychological and physiological. In addition, he writes with great humility from a tremendous knowledge base.
The book is a great resource to read either from front to back, or in sections as they seem helpful. Every person I know who has read this book has gained significant insight.
If this review seems effusive, it is because this book is that WELL WRITTEN and USEFUL. It reflects both the horror of trauma as well as the hope for recovery.
It has set a new standard in understanding trauma and the recovery from trauma and is a must read for anyone who claims serious interest in the topic.
on July 20, 2001
I am amending my review of this book, to add that I think this is THE ideal emotional health book for our nation to read, in light of the terrorist attacks on our country. It can be an enourmous help for our citizens to help calm and clarify things for all of us.
I've spent years researching emotional health, and trauma as well. Of all the books I've read in the field, Coping With Trauma - is by far the single best book for emotional self-care and self-teaching that I've seen. Period!
I own 3 copies now, and have put it in the hands of many others. I almost always get amazingly joyful feedback shortly after they start the book.
... But Dr. Allen's book is THE guide for making those changes and self-healing, and beats any therapist doing it, I've come across. It should be required reading in high schools and colleges.
Read this!
It deserves a Nobel nomination.
on May 21, 2000
This book is great for people who have at least a rudimentary understanding of psychology. I had a number of revelations while reading it, and my psychiatrist even borrowed it for a court case he had to appear in.
I've suffered from PTSD for 25 years and found this book to be enlightening and informative. If you are unfamiliar with general psych terms, this book may not be the place to start--otherwise it's very good.
on August 13, 2011
This book is an excellent resource for anyone involved with someone who is coping with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder resulting from Disruptive Attachment in a Primary Support Relationship. The only criticism I have is that the book claims to be written for the layperson; however some of the vocabulary and psychological jargon could be confusing for someone who doesn't have a background in this stuff! But don't let that stop you from benefiting from this most excellent resource. If you find yourself thrown by some psychological jargon in the reading, I recommend you ask your therapist for clarification. I have already recommended and shared this book with friends. The only suggestion I have that could improve upon this product is that they change the title to something that would get it read by more folks who need the help this book could bring them: It seems to me that there are a lot of people out there that could benefit from learning more about this stuff, but they have never been diagnosed or have been misdiagnosed, or they don't even know that thy have a problem. These are the kinds of people who go through their lives being extremely frustrated with themselves, being highly self-critical, lack confidence, and who are plagued by distressing memories or nightmares, and who struggle with powerful emotions. If you have a friend or family member who seems to spend a great deal of time re-telling the same unhappy stories form their past, or who seems to blow off the handle at the seemingly slightest things, then chances are this is an individual who has been traumatized and who would greatly benefit from the information in this book. I also recommend this book to the loved ones of such an individual because it will help you better understand them, give you greater compassion for them, and show you how to stop inadvertently making things worse for them when your intention was to help them by encouraging them to "get over it." Persons who have been traumatized can't just "get over it," but this book can help by pointing you in the right direction.
on September 23, 2014
Great self-help book!
on February 23, 2014
This book has helped me understand my reactions and emotions related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It was comforting to me to know that I am not crazy. Someone understands me. Now I can understand myself.
on December 9, 2014
This book is a winner. I'm so impressed by all the way it's written and that it's easy to understand but yet very thorough. This has helped me so much.