4.0 out of 5 stars Handy resource
This is a very slender book (which makes the price a little painful), but I found it a very helpful overview of copyright law and a helpful reference to have on hand for looking up quick facts and basics.

Published on January 11, 2011 by Elaise

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Publishing Date
The publication date listed is incorrect. The edition I received stated 2006 on the title page and 2006 as the copyright date. 2009 did not appear anywhere in the book. The ALA site lists it as a 2005 edition.
Published on November 4, 2009 by blondie1853

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy resource, January 11, 2011

The class I purchased for this also used it in conjunction with Edward Samuels's The Illustrated Story of Copyright (available online in its entirety for free), each of which complemented use of the other (Samuels's work going into further detail and examples than is allotted in Crews's book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, March 22, 2014
Excellent book for a class-required book. Incisive, I bought it for my tablet and have referred to it many times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive introduction to copyright law for librarians and teachers, February 8, 2014
This is a great introductory book for anyone in higher education hoping to dip their toe in the copyright / fair use waters. The law is broken down in easy to understand language, and relevant case law is given just enough coverage to provide valuable insight without confusing the reader. This is a great resource to any educators involved in online learning, or anyone supporting online learning.

Unfortunately out of date now, especially the chapter on exceptions to the DMCA. I look forward to the next edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Librarian, January 3, 2013
I have just graduated from graduate school with my library science degree and have been hired to build a small digital library. This book has helped me tremendously!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quick introduction, February 23, 2012
Excellent introduction to the many issues facing educators and librarians grappling with copyright issues. The author does take a very expansive view of the scope of fair use, so there may be disagreement in some quarters as to his perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Text for Graduate Course, July 24, 2011
I used this book as one of the required readings for a graduate library school course as it clearly sets out the law in a way that non-lawyers can understand. Several of my students commented and appreciated what an excellent choice for a text. I will continue to use this book and recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate book for reading and teaching, April 5, 2011
I've used this book several times to teach Digital Copyright to graduate library students. It is the best source, by far, that I've found. It is, at the same time, succinct, accurate, and a joy to read. Last semester I switched to another source, and that's when I really realized how good the Crews book is. It tells us just what we need to know, without confusing us or bombarding us with too much information.

I have to say, there is so much misinformation about copyright out there, that I'd recommend this to a general audience as well. It's a slim book, inviting to read, and without the errors that seem to riddle most copyright texts for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 7, 2013
Another book that I needed for my summer courses, will be using it finally tonight. Not expensive at all thanks to Better World Books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Publishing Date, November 4, 2009