Copyright question Will this allow me to convert my children's copyrighted VHS tapes to DVD? We are overran with VHS tapes in our house but I don't want to have to re-purchase all their favorites on DVD. This would be great for me if I can do that....will help with storage issues
asked by W. Wells on October 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 answers
A
My understanding of copyright law is IF YOU OWN IT you can make a copy for YOUR OWN USE, thereby allowing you to keep the original from being corrupted, damaged, or lost. You may not, however, make copies to share or sell. On the other hand, who's likely to be checking? As long as you're still using those kidvids for your own kids & grands... Makes sense. Just know that if you no longer own the "originals," you might technically be considered to be running afoul of the original copyright exception.
NOTE: I am not a lawyer, and my understanding is based on advice rec'd years ago, so you might still want a second opinion.
Sheryl A. Gregory answered on October 15, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Be aware that most of the commercial VHS tapes have Macrovision, which means that you cannot copy it - the color balance, contrast, and brightness goes in and out. You may need to purchase a connector that will override Macrovision protection so that you can copy the VHS tape (they do exist and usually run about $40).
bookworm answered on October 16, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I believe you are referring to making a copy of copyrighted material going from VHS machine to DVD burner; in this case you are going from VHS machine to a PC that may allow for the copy to me made.
We need someone who owns the software to chime in and let us know if it can be done.
Alberto answered on October 15, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, I was able to burn Hollywood VHS tape movies to DVD's. I purchased those tapes from years ago with Macrovision or Copyright signal.
Based on my ACTUAL success, I would recommend others to try. Hopefully, it's more clear now!
Sorry for late reply! I didn't know there were more trailing posts and confusion.

DStar: Yes, it includes hardware to connect to a VCR and its own software to capture and burn DVD or even Blu-ray Disc. (FYI, No VCR!)
You can also use another program to burn DVD if you know where (HDD) you save the captured video. But I recommend that you don't unless you are trying a better video editor with fancy features. Honestech software should be more than sufficient to burn DVD straight up. It would be easier and quicker for you.
HenrytheThames answered on December 1, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you all for your insight. @ Alberto, I agree...if someone already owns this product and could let me know if this is possible, I would greatly appreciate it. I would really like for the kids to be able to watch their favorite movies in the car, as well, without having to re-purchase every movie we own. This would be a great buy for us, if it will work for our needs. Any more insight will be most appreciated.
W. Wells answered on October 16, 2011

A
It works because a VHS or tape video is captured into HDD of a PC and then burn to a DVD. It would be user's responsibility to not violate any copyrights.
HenrytheThames answered on October 17, 2011

A
@Henrythethames...THANK YOU! Though I appreciate the others input, it is nice to hear from someone who has actually used this program on copyrighted videos with success. My family is overran with children's VHS tapes, and I just want to convert them to DVD for easier storage and ability to watch them in the car. Again, thank you
W. Wells answered on December 2, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wow... and how was YOUR holiday, Lord Shogun?
DL Minor answered on November 28, 2011

A
I am curious if you also meanwhile ordered the product and tried the convertion of the disney movies,like you we have so many and i would love to have them on dvd. Thank you
Puddlejumper answered on July 21, 2012

A
Actually Honestech software would stop capturing a video tape if copyright is detected...It gives you an error message to tell you so.
However, Honestech has a patch to overright this. I don't remember if you can download from their web site or they send the patch to you by email. Send a email to ask them.
See I told you answered on August 30, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product