Customer Discussions > Coraline - Collector's Edition forum

Coraline Single, 2-Disc & Bluray DVD Editions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2009 6:00:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2009 6:02:16 AM PDT
Jem says:
Available on single-disc DVD, two-disc Collector's Edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc, all include both the 2-D and 3-D version of the main feature and come packaged with 4 pairs of 3D glasses.

Single-Disc DVD

* 2-D and 3-D Presentations
* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English, French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
* English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
* Feature Commentary with Director Henry Selick and Composer Bruno Coulais

2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD - As above plus a bonus disc with the following content:

* Digital Copy of Coraline 2-D Version (Expires 07/31/2010)
* Deleted Scenes
* The Making of Coraline
* Voicing the Characters

Blu-ray Disc - This is a Blu-ray Combo release which comes bundled with a standard-def DVD that includes the 2-D version of the film (AV specs as per the DVD releases), audio commentary, and a Digital Copy of the film. Features include:

* 2-D and 3-D Presentations
* 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
* English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
* French and Spanish 5.1 DTS Surround
* English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
* U Control - Picture in Picture (2-D Feature Only)
* U Control - Tours and Voice Sessions (2-D Feature Only)
* U Control - Picture in Picture Animatic (2-D Feature Only)
* Deleted Scenes
* The Making of Coraline
* Voicing the Characters
* Creepy Coraline
* Feature Commentary with Director Henry Selick and Composer Bruno Coulais
* D-Box
* BD Live - My Scenes Sharing
* BD Live - The World According to Henry
* Disc 2: DVD with standard-def 2-D version of the film, audio commentary

I REALLY wish Amazon would include this information on their product pages. Surely they get these press releases?

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 4:02:54 AM PDT
W. Flynn says:
i agree! i was wondering what it included. damn those blu ray owners, why do they get more than the collectors edition??!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 5:24:56 AM PDT
Jem says:
I could not agree more! I was seriously angry that the Dark Knight Blu-ray had a cool batpod replica included but you couldn't get it with a regular DVD. They are trying to attract more people to Blu-ray, but I think it just ticks people off. No picture is that much better to be worth upgrading your tv, your player and paying a lot more for a movie.

Posted on Jun 8, 2009 6:43:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2009 6:43:49 PM PDT
I agree, all studios are trying to sell blu-ray at wathever cost when most people like me are perfectly happy with DVD. Is a shame that they downgrade the quality of the DVDs only to try sell us a new and mor "innovative" format. I hope they will sell more DVDs than Blu-rays and finally start thinking with their heads again.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 8:12:43 AM PDT
Kibo says:
Thanks for the info! I was searching all over the web trying to look for a 3D version of it. Usually amazon's pretty good posting product description. They dropped the ball this time I guess.

Posted on Jun 12, 2009 5:31:15 PM PDT
A.M. REVIEW says:
People complaining about Blu-Ray having more features than DVD? Wasn't this the case when DVD came out while people own VHS? People always seemed to forget the VHS to DVD transition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2009 6:39:26 PM PDT
Jem says:
I think the main difference I find between the VHS vs DVD and the DVD vs Bluray, is that DVDs had significant advantages over VHS in addition to the extra content they added as incentive to get people to switch. DVDs don't wear with repeated viewings the way VHS did, they aren't as susceptible to temperature, long movies fit on one disc, took up less space on a shelf, and more. The main advantage to Bluray is hidef picture quality - which also requires a better TV to enjoy. Sure, they hold more material on a disc then DVD but when we're talking one movie, it's not critical.

I don't see DVD to Bluray as a "transition." I see it more like a high end sports car versus the average sedan. The Lotus has incredible engine power and acceleration, but I still have to obey speed limits and it only gets me from A to B. If you have the money, it's a flashy status symbol. Otherwise, the Camry does the exact same thing for far less money. Bluray isn't likely to replace DVDs, especially in this economy.

Posted on Jun 12, 2009 8:07:32 PM PDT
I completely agree with Jem, DVD offered substantial improvement in comparison with VHS, Blu-Ray offer better picture and sound but you need to change your T.V. which is expensive. Also my main complaint is that the studios can easily put material in the DVD but they only put it in the Blu-Ray downgrading the quality of the DVD, let's not forget that Blu-Ray is only the 8% of the home video market so I think the studios should put more efforts in making the other 92% happy by improving the DVDs quality.

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 1:53:59 PM PDT
Blu-Ray is awesome! Curse the haters!

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 2:13:51 PM PDT
I have blu ray (PS3 & LG drive on my all purpose pc), and the only real advantage I find is sound, the pq is not that much better, and BD-J is dookie. But what I hate the most about Blu Ray is all the ads (BD-J is just for ads), I wish it could just pop to the main screen from the get go, and if I want to see the ads, then, I can. The other thing, why so freaking much? I know the answer to that but it's why do we have to pay so much for a format whose copy protection is nothing but frustration to its users; it does not prevent copying.

I really like the sound, but the price of admission, blatant ads, and lack of consumer friendliness just makes the experience not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2009 4:08:51 PM PDT
Jem says:
What I find interesting about Blu-ray is that it's likely to be replaced by an even more high quality. I was just reading in a science journal that researchers have created a disc that holds a terabyte of information (some 200 hi-def movies) that uses multiple color lasers (not just blue) to read the disc. It's not ready for commericial application yet, but I'm sure it's coming. So, I don't expect Blu-ray will supplant DVD in any meaningful way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2009 3:17:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 6, 2009 3:18:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 11:37:24 PM PDT
J. Bradley says:
Personally, I may get JUST the DVD version to watch for now, but what I really want is a 3-D version that's in a format similar to the RealD 3-D format seen in theaters. The 3-D for THIS DVD version is the red and blue lens anaglyph process that's been used for the last century and it won't deliver the same effect as what you saw in theaters with the RealD process. They have to settle on a standard for home theater 3-D viewing, so I realize it'll be a few years, but "Coraline" in the RealD format is the one to get.

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 5:24:11 PM PDT
So this a 3-disc edition?

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 10:38:20 PM PDT
J. Bradley says:
It looks like for the DVD it's two discs and then for the Blu-Ray it's the Blu-Ray, the standard definition DVD disc and a digital copy.

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 10:19:53 AM PDT
The DVD is a three disc edition because of the digital copy and also the blu-ray because it comes with a digital copy and a standard DVD.

Posted on Jul 11, 2009 1:21:01 AM PDT
Tournxg says:
yeah, they have a system out from Nvidia that is like RealD in the movie theaters. Highly expensive and requires a special monitor and glasses (like the theater ones). Can't wait until it's mass produced and affordable : )

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 8:01:30 AM PDT
carnage says:
fact - there is a big difference in picture quality between blu-ray and dvd when viewed on a hi-def set.

Anyone who says other wise is just in denial. I use to think, "meh who cares." But after owning a ps3 and being able to watch the blu-ray format, hd-dvd looked good too blu just happened to win out, i cringe when i watch a dvd. The hi-def format has spoiled me to no end.

i also really don't understand why people complain about the price of blu-rays. yes, they are more expensive than the 14.99 or 19.99 price point of new dvds. in my personal experience i have never payed more than $25 for a blu-ray. (except on a tv series) Amazon keeps blu-rays relatively competitive in price and most stores usually have sales going on. worst case for me is that i wait a few weeks and picked up a like new copy from MovieStop. So, yeah you're probably not going to get a new release on blu-ray for $14.99, but the five or so extra bucks is worth it to me.

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 8:02:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2009 8:02:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 11:55:37 AM PDT
Always looking for this info. thank you for posting it for amazons benefit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 1:07:28 PM PDT
Jem says:
Happy to share - just wish Amazon would post press releases as a matter of course. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2009 2:03:38 PM PDT
I just want to know is how do you go about getting the 3d glasses... are the a mail in rebate or are the included with the dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2009 3:09:57 PM PDT
Jem says:
The press release states they come with 4 pairs of 3-d glasses...

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 6:36:07 AM PDT
Also, Blu Ray is released in 24 fps and DVD movies are artificially sped up to 30 fps. Might seem like a small detail, but it enhances the overall flow of the movie if you watch it in 24 fps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 7:09:22 AM PDT
J. Bradley says:
That'll be a real bonus when they settle on a 3-D standard for home theater.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions