on September 27, 2011
Pros:

They look great -- they shine up to a gorgeous glow and pass as both casual and semi-professional footwear.
Comfortable -- once you break them in. That may take a little time.
Durable -- my last pair were great for three solid years, then I got different boots.
Practical -- They're mostly waterproof. That is, within reason, you will have dry feet through snow and light rain. I wouldn't recommend slogging around through the gutter with them, though. They're not galoshes.

Cons:

They did take some wearing to break in, and they cut up my ankles and achilles tendon a bit.
One of the zippers broke off after about three years -- just the tab of the zipper, though. It could have been fixed by a professional, if I'd known to take it to one. Instead, I bought different boots.
The snap-down covers for the zippers at the top of the upper aren't stitched on very securely. They rip off if you pull on them while putting on the boot. They're not handles, is the thing. They're covers, so don't pull on them.

Other:

If you want a durable boot with good traction and a classy, simple look, this is it. They stay cool enough in the summer and warm enough in the winter, but they are not insulated at all. A brief trek through the snow, though, and they're great. I wouldn't wear them for winter camping or anything, though. Oh, and they give great ankle support. I've never rolled an ankle while wearing them, and if my foot did bend that way, the boot kept my ankle from rolling far enough to get hurt. I can't say enough good things about these boots, but just keep in mind that they aren't typical of civilian footwear. They're made with military personnel in mind, so they're not as soft as you might expect from brand new footwear. Treat them right and they'll last you years and years.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2011
After a month and a half of wearing my Corcoran boots, I would like to change my initial 5 star review.

I had heard so many good things about them and I was very excited to make this Corcoran purchase and really wanted to like these boots, but they have been very difficult.

I bought the zipper boots for the convenience of wearing them, but they are uncomfortable! The snap on the right boot comes off and the zipper cuts into my skin constantly. I have to frequently put the snap back on and adjust the zipper making it inconvenient. I did not mind this even, but recently the leather in the back of the boot has been wrinkling and it bites into my Achilles tendon.

This makes walking painful and I am very disappointed in these pair of shoes which I was hoping to be the epitome of comfort and durability. The bottom of my heal also hurts when walking long distances.

I am wondering if there are special socks that one must wear with these boots or if I just got a lemon...

I spent $145 on these boots and I am definitely not satisfied.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 12 2E USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
A longtime fan of these boots has been sorely disappointed. The snap broke after just four days of wear. When they exchanged them for a new pair, BOTH snaps were already broken in the box! The sad part is, I still wear my old pair which I bought over six years ago and the snaps on those still function well. Somebody dropped the ball somewhere.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2013
I bought my first pair of these boots when i was 14 and have been buying one new pair each year, every year, ever since then. That means i have worn thru MORE THAN 20 PAIRS of these boots. I buy my size "wide" and its one of the few shoes that fits my wide Hobbit toes. Yes. they do take a while to break in, but they are well built enough so that after i wear thru the soles on a pair i get them resoled, and by then they are as soft as glove leather. They don't have steel toe, but even when fully broken in, the thick leather provides reasonable protection from injury.

These boots also become instantly more comfortable + warmer if you add a decent quality Arch-support insole to to them. (for a good arch/insole expect to pay $10-$25) If you plan on doing this, i advise you buy a boot about a half size larger than what you usually buy. With a good insole they are as comfortable as a Doc-Martin but will last you 3 times as long.

Last i checked, these boots were still made entirely in the U.S.A., which is hard to find these days on a boot in this price range.

I have been concerned about occasional quality-control issues in the past few years and fear Corcoran may be cutting corners, but i was able to exchange the defective boots i got with no problem.

Over all, The Corcoran 985 is the best looking, most durable, all purpose boot i have ever found.
(The zippers are especially a blessing when visiting friends who want all shoes left by the door.)

I hope Corcoran never stops making them. If they do, i will have a hard time finding a shoe that fits right.
on October 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
I really like cap toed boots. Over the years I've worn Rocky brand for the most part, although I think I had some Bates also. About 3 or 4 years ago, I ordered a pair of Corcoran Side Zipper Boots from another vendor. Upon receipt of them, they appeared pretty well made. As I removed them from the box and unsnapped the zipper cover, one of the snaps broke. In looking at it, it was obvious that during the installation of the snap, the machine had "peened" the rivet holding the snap on off center. No problem, a snap is easy to fix. Unfortunately, I took the next boot out and it did the exact same thing, broken snap, rivet peened off center.

The vendor I purchased them from told me to contact Corcoran directly regarding repairs. Corcoran said they'd fix them, but shipping both ways was on my dime. I kindly declined and returned them to the vendor for refund.

Fast forward to just a couple of weeks ago and new boots are needed. I figured I'd give them a second shot, I've heard such good things about them over the years and everyone turns out a lemon from time to time. So I make the Amazon purchase and the boots quickly arrive. Once again, they seem well constructed but perhaps the leather is bit thinner than the Rockys I'd been wearing. Then I made the mistake of unsnapping the zipper cover and the snap immediately broke. Once again, the rivet was peened off center. Back in the box, back to Amazon as defective. As usual, Amazon's return process was simple, effective and because the item was defective, free. Amazon gets and A+ for their part.

It's just sad to me that this brand, well known in the military and other hard use circles, can't seem to attach a frakkin' snap correctly. Embarrassing quality control for company that's been around so long. Anyway, I found a set of Rockys locally and they've been slightly revamped since my last pair and are now even nicer in my opinion.
on July 5, 2013
Size Name: 12 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I received these today. I have previously owned Corcoran Jump Boots. These were made of a cheaper leather and the fit was sloppy. There is virtually no ankle support and my foot moved freely when walking. Aside from playing the insole/heel cup game there was no way to "tighten" the fit up. They were laced (the laces are junk, too) so that each side of the eyelets were virtually touching each other which in and of itself is a sign of poor fit. Fit as far as toe to heel is on par with other Corcoran boots so the issue is not that they are a size too large, just the upper is sized wrong. For those that have large ankles these may fit fine if other boots are too snug.These are going back.
on December 15, 2012
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
These boots require a lot of breaking in but once they are they're good to go for a solid 2 years of hard wearing.
on December 12, 2013
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Sadly, these are some of the lowest quality boots that I've ever owned. I've owned and worn dozens of pairs of boots over the past 25 years. Docs, Grinders, Gripfast, Demonia... all sorts. Even brands that I'd never buy again were head and shoulders above these things.

They came out of the box smelling and looking like they had just been spraypainted gloss black. Not that new leather dye smell. Spraypaint. The leather is about the same quality as the cheap sheaths that come with flea market knives.

Quite literally, the worst quality boots I've ever worn.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2013
Size Name: 11 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
If you have foot problems, don't expect to order these in your size and wear them for extended periods of time. You'll either need to oder a half-size larger to accomodate aftermarket insoles, or only wear them for short periods of time.

Also, the quality of materials and craftsmanship is a husk of what the old school Corcorans used to be.
Paper thing leather, and very cheap blacking that looks like it was spray painted on by a 10 year old.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2013
this is my third time buying these boots.
I've used them for work and long walks, they're great, I think they look good, they're as true to us size as a boot could get and they get about a 5 year lifespan, probably more if you take care of them.