Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 7, 2000
Cordoroy is the perfect children's book. It is a gentle, sweet tale of a little bear in cordoroy overalls waiting to be purchased in a department store. A real little girl sees him and falls in love with him, but her mother says she doesn't have money to buy him and he's missing a button. After the store closes, all the toys with faces close their eyes except Cordoroy. Instead, he travels the department store searching for a button because he didn't know he was not perfect. He does not solve his problem. Cordoroy is back on the toy shelf the next morning. The little girl, Lisa returns to buy him. She takes him home, sews on a button, and provides him with his own little bed right beside hers. "I've always wanted a friend!" he says. This beautifully illustrated book has a simple text and huge appeal to anyone with a heart.
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2008
I purchased this for my son, but I'm going to get another copy that ISN'T the anniversary addition. This version contains eight pages of information about the earlier version of the book, letters between the author and publisher, etc. This sort of stuff is more for those of us who remember the book from our childhoods than it is for the kids themselves.

Curiously, the first four pages of my copy of the book are bound in upside-down. Does anyone else have this in theirs? I might have a real collector's item indeed...

As for the story itself, it's a five-star kid's story. Wonderful. But if you are buying it for your kids, I'd get the other version.
on October 31, 2000
This sweet bear has been around for several generations. Living in a department store, Corduroy wanders off for the night. Up the escalator onto the floor with the beds and the lamps. Aha, he needs a new button to replace the lost button on his corduroy overalls. He pulls and pulls a button from a mattress, creating quite a racket in the process. The night watchman comes to investigate and finds the bear hiding under a blanket. The nightwatchman carries Corduroy down the escalator and places him back on the shelf. You see, the little girl's mother told Lisa that she did not want Corduroy because he had was missing a button. The following day Lisa returns with her saved piggy bank money, buys the bear and takes him home to his very own bedroom. This book is incredibly sweet and is appropriate for 2 years old and older. What's more, FAO Schwartz actually sells a Corduroy bear. What a treat. A wonderful gift for a birthday or holiday. Highly, highly recommended.
on June 14, 2009
Corduroy is a stuffed bear who lives on the shelf of a department store. One day a girl named Lisa spies him and exclaims over him, but her mother points out that he is missing a button from his overalls, and the two depart without buying him. That night, while the store is quiet, Corduroy explores the store in search of his button. He is unsuccessful and is returned to his shelf by a security guard; but in the morning the little girl returns, having ransacked her piggy bank, and carries him home in her arms. There she sews a new button on him and settles him into her home.

There are several elements of this charming story that have made it popular for decades. Corduroy has a flaw that he cannot repair by himself -- his missing button. This produces in him a helplessness and dependence on others that children, who understand their own dependence on adults, will respond to with empathy.

Additionally, Corduroy takes his circumstances for granted until the prospect of a change comes along; this provokes him to try to better himself. As he explores the store, his horizons are broadened: "I think I've always wanted to climb a mountain," he says as he goes up the escalator; "I guess I've always wanted to live in a palace," as he enters the furniture department. It is only on arriving at Lisa's home that he realizes what he really needs is a home and a friend -- two things young children intuitively know they need as well.

A final touch is that Lisa's family is not a wealthy one: Lisa's mother cannot buy the bear because she has "spent too much already," and Lisa and her parents live in a fourth-floor apartment rather than a large house. But the little home is a secure one, filled with warm touches and supplied with the tools needed to replace Corduroy's button. This is far better than the cold "palace" in which Lisa found him. Corduroy's homecoming is to a place of humble, nurturing love.

The story is told in an understated, sweet way, and endearingly illustrated. For those children who regard their favorite toys as friends, it may have a special appeal.

There are a number of sequels and other products that have grown out of the original book's popularity, but the quality of the sequels I have read is pretty mediocre. I recommend only the original story.
on November 28, 2007
I loved this teddy bear who longed for his home and his mother. I like this story of not only receiving but also giving love. Corduroy was lucky enough to find Lisa but not all teddy bears are that lucky... Corduroy is exactly the kind of teddy bear that I love.
Other great books that I highly recommend are The Very Hungry Caterpillar board book and especially Why Some Cats are Rascals, Book 2.
on March 11, 2009
This is a fine product--except corduroy is so small. I guess maybe I didn't read the description too well. However, for 10.00 I guess I couldn't have received a a big plush stuffed animal and a nice hardcover book as well!! I would recommend it, but just beware that corduroy is like 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide approx, and for a real enthusiast, I would buy a cheaper book, and a larger bear!! Especially for a child who wants to actually play with their toys--I don't see this bear holding up too well, unless he's on a shelf.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
The story is engaging. Lisa wants the bear but her mom says not today. The bear wants a home, but he's shopworn and missing a button. The story is resolved realistically (as much as it can be with a talking teddy bear) though realistic effort. It's a little long for my 2 1/2 year old but he'll grow into it.

The art is wonderful, much better than the quick cartoonish style so popular today.

I like the morals the story teaches. The bear tries to improve himself (find a button). The mother tells her daughter she can't have everything she wants. The girl goes home and gets the money from her piggy bank to buy it on her own. I also like that there's a normal black girl in a book that isn't about Kwanzaa or multiculturalism.
on December 4, 1999
The little bear named Corduroy may not be as beautiful and perfect as the doll sitting next to him on the toy shelf, but he is more loveable. Corduroy is learning some of the struggles in life, just as we do in our lives. He is desperately searching for his lost botton because he wants a little girl to buy him. But the only thing the girl is searching for is not on the outside, it is on the inside. She loves Corduroy for Corduroy. This teaches children an excellent lesson. Love people for their personality.
Did the screenwriters of the recently released "Bridget Jones' Diary" lift Colin Firth's line "I like you just the way you are" from this wonderful 1968 kids' book (see the penultimate page's "I like you the way you are")? Well, probably not...but in both instances it's a very effective and heartfelt line, capturing the essence of unconditional, lasting love.
Corduroy is a cute little stuffed bear who nobody wants to buy: There are bigger and newer toys, and besides, the button is missing from one strap of his overalls. Only Lisa shows interest that day, but her mother hesitates and they leave without him. While looking for the button after the store closes, Corduroy experiences the wonders of a big department store: The elevator and the new beds lined in rows: "This must be a palace...I guess I've always wanted to live in a palace."
Lisa returns the next day and buys him with her own money, and the sugarcoated ending strikes up just the right amount of sentiment without becoming overbearing (no pun intended). "This must be home," he [Corduroy] said. "I know I've always wanted a home!" And then: "You must be a friend," said Corduroy. "I've always wanted a friend." "Me too!" said Lisa, and gave him a big hug. Powerful, misty-eye making stuff! Beautiful simple color pictures, and 28 pages of adventure and sweet love. Awwww-inspiring (pun intended). Highly recommended for the toddler set!
on March 1, 2013
Perhaps I should have investigated the phrase "extra-large trim size." In this case, it appears to mean a book that measures just under 10"x11", which I feel is a little much for my intended purpose - lap reading with a toddler. It would be wonderful for reading to a large group as the text and illustration fill the pages and can be seen clearly from a good distance.

The "bonus materials" the description refers to are the last eight pages of the book, which contain its history, early sketches and actual removable miniature copies of correspondence between the author and editor. Quite cute, if you're a fan of the book and this interests you. Unfortunately, I think the novelty would be lost on a toddler, and the small pieces would soon also. I like my child to handle her books and read to herself at will, and this edition just isn't practical for that purpose.

In short: lovely story, wonderful, classic illustration, and a great gift for an adult or older child who loves the book. As for me, I'm hoping to find a board book version or something with less of a "bonus."