5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for serious at home yoga students
I agree with the first 2 reviews on this DVD so I won't bother repeating what has already been written.

Published on June 5, 2009 by aMused

3.0 out of 5 stars Power workout
Published on November 25, 2009 by Nom de plume

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for serious at home yoga students, June 5, 2009
This review is from: Core Strength Vinyasa Yoga: Total Body Transformation and Weight Loss with Sadie Nardini (DVD)

I've practiced yoga at home for about 10 years without benefit of personal instruction. I own over 20 DVD's on yoga and at least a dozen books on the subject because although my life does not allow me to get out and go to classes, I am a very serious student. I'm 50 years old and I need to stay fit and balanced to take care of my aging body as well as a severely disabled loved one. That said, I count on instructors who can reach out to people they've never met and try to anticipate all the questions and various levels of ability of these many students.

I first encountered Sadie Nardini through her wonderful YouTube videos. If you are sitting on the fence and want to see for yourself how this woman instructs I suggest you go to her YouTube channel [...] and watch some of her many offerings. After watching her videos I longed for a DVD with Sadie talking me through a good routine. Sadie really delivers with this DVD. You get the benefit of her explanations and unique approach to yoga with a routine that is beautifully designed. Sadie also has a preview of this DVD on her website:[...] She needs to link it here as well, hopefully she'll do that.

Sadie moves through everything slowly and carefully. If you are a beginner or restarting after taking too much time off (raising my hand) this gives you plenty of time to adjust to getting into the various poses. If you've built up some stamina and you know the routine well, this slowness really forces you to develop grace, strength and really challenges your stamina.

The routines she has outlined is quite a bit like buying several DVDs in a set. Sadie could easily have made about 4-6 separate DVD's with the material she offers but she found a way to give it to you all in one DVD. Sadie doesn't cheat you anywhere during the workout. If you can't last through the whole thing - I was struggling toward the end. I just backed off and trusted that with time I would rebuild my endurance. The restorative phase is often rushed through in some DVD's in order to squeeze in a lot of poses but Sadie is very conscientious in this area as well. I love the way she takes you through the restorative phase and oh dear, it was really necessary by the time she got done with me.

If you don't have time to do any of her full length workouts you can select small sections to work on. This is useful also if there is something that really challenges you and you wish to study and practice it more. As one reviewer already stated, a matrix option would have been nice here but it really isn't that much of an effort to select a section, then select another and sometimes those matrix menus can be a pain in the rear to navigate anyway. So I can't really complain about this small thing when everything else is so outstanding.

Although I order a lot of material from Amazon I don't bother to write reviews very often so this lets you know how strongly I feel about this particular DVD. If you like Shiva Rhea but find her a bit hard to keep up with, try out Sadie. You won't find her easy but what you will find is some really good explanations and ways to build into some of the more difficult things you might find in other DVD's. This one DVD by itself has all you need to use yoga to build a fierce body but if you like to switch to other instructors and workouts to keep from being bored, then Sadie will help you to be better at all those other workouts as well. It's one of the best resource materials I now own on yoga. Thank-you Ms. Nardini for making this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative, invigorating, intense!, June 2, 2009
Annie (Bloomington, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I discovered Sadie through her YouTube videos, which are excellent, and a great preview for this DVD practice. Her sequences are so much fun--they always contain an unexpected element, and you'll get a sweaty and invigorating workout. The pace is brisk but not frantic. I was able to extend fully into poses before she moved on. The core focus is worked in smoothly and consistently. This is NOT Pilates with a few yoga poses in between.

The DVD is broken into mini flows, including her unique Sun Salutations, a twisting flow, a balance flow, inversions, hip openers, arm balances, an ab flow, and a few others. Some of the sections are relatively brief (7-9 minutes-ish), while others are over 15 minutes. She also includes several preset sequences, which, as the previous reviewer mentioned, are lengthy but so very worth it.

Lastly, Sadie has a great narration voice, and bless her, she avoids the goofy yoga metaphors and descriptors when she's detailing the poses. Awesome!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Power workout, November 25, 2009
If you're looking for "power yoga," you'll probably love this workout. It *is* incredibly challenging, creative and varied, but despite the fact that there are yoga postures here, it doesn't feel like yoga to me. I don't mean to disparage Sadie or the practice. If a power workout is what you want, that's great and this may be it. I prefer more of a mind-body-spirit practice, so this just isn't for me. To each his or her own!

I had trouble keeping up with some of the cues. I was also a little worried about some of the moves - for example, "Shakti kicks." If you're not able to do these with complete control, it seems like you could really hurt yourself. Sadie is in fantastic condition, so even though I'm in ok shape, older (lol) me could in no way keep up with her! Again, it's up to the practitioner to be aware of limitations and adjust accordingly, but Sadie is so enthusiastic it's hard not to want to try to stick with it.

If you want a challenging workout, you might want to give this DVD a try. If you're looking for a more balanced, more than physical practice, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformative and inspiring yoga DVD!, June 21, 2009
They say that when the student is ready, the teacher will appear and this was true for me and coming across Sadie and her empowering style of yoga known as Core Strength Vinyasa (CSV).

Last November (2008) a friend emailed me a link to a company that makes custom yoga mats. On the front page of this company's website was a box promoting Sadie Nardini and CSV. Clicking box this led to Sadie's website and from that starting point I explored her numerous YouTube videos and various podcasts.

I was genuinely amazed ... as a relatively new yoga teacher (2.5 years at that point) I am always looking for ways to inspire my students, offering them yoga that is fun, safe yet challenging, and most of all therapeutic and transformative. And that is what Sadie teaches! The clarity of her presentation is excellent.

I have spent literally thousands of dollars on live yoga workshops and programs during my "yoga career". Some were good, some so-so, and some a waste of money. What Sadie offers is among the highest quality instruction you will find anywhere.

Even more amazing is that she takes the time to read and respond to emails she receives. If you have a question about CSV you can email her and she will reply! Wow! Even though I have never met her in person I can tell that she really cares.

This new DVD from Sadie is simply one of the very best yoga DVDs I have seen. I have looked at numerous yoga DVDs and truly the world of yoga is been blessed with some wonderful, dedicated teachers.

However, relatively few DVDs are sensitive to the journey of an evolving personal yoga practice explaining the "seed" of a pose and the steps necessary to grow into the full expression of the pose.

When I started practicing yoga it took me two years to master Crow Pose and that was because none of the teachers with whom I was taking classes explained the steps involved. Finally one teacher was kind enough to take time with me and take me through it step-by-step until I mastered it.

Sadie is that kind of teacher. On this DVD she explains the steps necessary to rock a Crow, to jump into Crow, to master Handstand, and more. All within the context of a strong core-centered vinyasa flow that will strengthen and tone you from inside out.

This is one important aspect of Core Strength Vinyasa. We tend to be strong in our major outer muscles like quadriceps and hamstrings, gluteals, back muscles, etc, but weaker and less aware or connected to our deep core muscles.

CSV is about contacting and really "making friends" with your deep core muscles so you can be strong and stable in every pose. Every pose is generated from the core whether it is Mountain, Chair, Triangle, Warrior I/II/III, Half Moon, Eagle, or something else.

As you work with this DVD you will become very strong in your core muscles and this will make every pose much easier and more refined. It will also have the added benefit of improving your posture.

However, CSV also has a "mental side" to it. All of us tend to "put out" a lot of energy in our daily activities. This is especially true if you are in a health care type profession such as me (I am a Licensed Bodyworker in addition to being a Yoga Instructor). Finding our personal boundaries and staying grounded and centered can be very challenging when people need your help.

Core Strength Vinyasa teaches you how to be core-centered in your daily life away from the mat. Through Sadie's cueing, what you experience in your body will flow on into your psyche leaving you feeling empowered and better able to remain authentic throughout the rest of your day.

I highly recommend this DVD ... it really is completely worth the money and will give you a lot of insight and personal enjoyment. I have been practicing with it daily since I received it several weeks ago, and it has helped me tremendously already.

It contains the best of Sadie's teaching which has been transformative in both my own life, and the lives of my students (as I share what I am learning with them) during the past 8 months. Thank you so much Sadie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, sweaty, creative intense yoga workout, June 13, 2009
YogaGirl (san francisco, ca United States) - See all my reviews
If you only have funds for one vinyasa yoga dvd this year, then get this one. You will not be sorry. This intense, sweaty, fun and creative yoga practice covers everything. I don't remember all of the poses, but I can tell you that they're all here; from down dog to up dog to warriors 1, 2 and 3; crescent lunge and twist; moving half moon; moving triangle; pigeon variation; crow pose and variation; firefly; forward bend and variations; lots of hip openers; handstand prep jumps and handstand; floor stretches. Here is what you get:

Workout segments that you can mix and match to create your own class
Core Warm-up and dedication
Core Salutations
Opening and toning
stamina and balance
twist and energize
hip opening & release
Upper and lower body sculpt
core inversions and detox _- this section includes Sadie's 30 jumps where you come into down dog with hands over shoulders and jump you are jumping into hand stand. Next you lift one leg up and jump on one leg like you were jumping into handstand. Next is handstand at the wall. All of the jumps are at the wall also. It will take me a while to do this section, but I'm game!
deep stretching

whole body sculpt 1 .5hr
hip and shoulder opener 1.5hr
inversions & detox 1.15hr
relax and restore 1 hr

I've done 3 of the above preset classes and I enjoyed each of them. Sadie's yoga is dynamic. She flows in and out of poses as opposed to static poses where you have long holds. You are always moving in her vinyasa yoga and that is what makes you sweat up a storm. My favorite pose is moving half-moon where you do half moon on each side and then curl down to bent knee forward bend and then stretch open to half moon on the opposite side. Sweet!

I'm 50 years old so I had to rest a lot but I felt great after each class and was not wiped out. Get this dvd, you won't regret it. I plan on doing the classes 3 times a week as I am trying to lose weight and this dvd beats going to the gym and lifting weights any day of the week.

Great job Sadie. I look forward to next dvd!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweat Dripping Yoga, August 6, 2009
Whew! What a workout. I ordered this video last week and got it Monday. I've did 2 workouts on the DVD and I was wringing wet when I was done.

For the last 20 years I've been doing kickboxing, weight training and running. But at my age, those type of workouts are killing me. I recently hurt my back and felt like I was 90. It's my fault. I never did any stretching so my back was eventually ready to go out. I knew I had to get back into yoga again. I was a serious yogi for 6 years but I let it go to the wayside in favor of more aggressive workouts.

I first bought a beginner Rodney Yee video to get me back into the groove. Then I read one of the reviewers rave about Sadie. They were spot on.

This gal is fabulous. Wonderful voice and a great teacher. There is a section in the DVD where you can turn off the music. I did. It helped me concentrate with her cues.

This is not a beginners tape. You really need to know the yoga postures before you venture into this territory.

My suggestions to get the most out of this DVD. Watch the entire thing before you start the workout. Have a towel handy and plenty of water. I had so much sweat dripping on my face I could barely see! If you have a small place like I do, clear the room before you start the workout and turn off your phone and email. I say this because you really need to focus on the workout and focus on your body.

I'm on a nothing but yoga workout routine for the next 90 days. I already feel taller (back is no longer hurting me) and my joints are starting to loosen up.

I HIGHLY recommend this DVD to any serious yogi or baby boomer like me who wants a different workout. I don't think I'll ever go back to the kickboxing or heavy weights again. This workout is it for me. I can tell you if you watch your food intake and do the workouts on a regular basis you'll see a kickass body. I'm already starting to see a reduction in cellulite (no kidding).

Sadie - my dear you rock!

3.0 out of 5 stars only for the more advanced yoga practitioner, February 1, 2010
K. Wells "wrkfish" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
While this DVD is a good one, I only gave it three stars because it is definately for the more advanced yoga practioner. She does not show ways to modify the poses and it's nearly impossible to get into most of the poses if you are not already strong and flexible. I've been doing yoga, though not daily, for several years but there were several poses I couldn't even begin to do. I would only recommend this video if you want to take your yoga to a higher, more challenging level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome yoga Dvd with several options, arm balances, etc, July 13, 2009
Shiva (New Mexico) - See all my reviews
I like this DVD a lot. It has 5 different preset practices to choose from:

(another reviewer posted these, but the times were slightly off. This is taken directly from the DVD menu)

Core Transformer 1 hr
Learning to Fly 1 hr 15 min
Whole Body Sculpt 1 hr 30 min
Hip & Shoulder Opener 1 hr 30 min
Inversion & Detox 1 hr 20 min
Relax & Restore 1 hr

I find these options to be perfect. Rarely do I want to do less than an hour, and if I did, this DVD gives the option of choosing from about 12 smaller segments that make up the longer practice individually. For instance, I could choose "Core warmup and dedication" "Core Salutations" "Core and Power" and "Floor poses and restore" for about a 30 minute core intensive workout. It's not like a "matrix" however, you would have to go back to the menu between each section.

What I love most about this DVD is that is has options for intermediate practitioners, yet also gives modifications for beginners to begin to attempt the poses. The fact that she teaches handstand is awesome! And for people not ready to go up into handstand, there is a very doable preparatory pose she calls "Shakti kicks." I get sweaty and wrung out, even if I choose the 1 hr practice. I do wish there was an option for a longer Savasana. (EDITED TO ADD: While looking over the DVD I noticed that during Savasana it says "Press Pause here for a longer resting time." I had never noticed this because I was laying down with my eyes closed. I still wish there was another Savasana, longer, with music, but I wanted to point out that she does make room for a longer Savasana. Her Savasana is about 5 minutes, which is good for days when I'm short on time.)

Also, if you haven't checked out Sadie on YouTube, make sure you do! She has lots of little tutorials about how to do the poses better and more effectively. Having trouble with crow in the video? Go to her YouTube channel and search for crow. She has several videos giving tips on how to work on it.

Sadie's personality and voice are great. She's encouraging and positive, yet minimal in her comments, so I don't find myself getting tired of her. The set is simple, in a studio, yet beautiful. It's a good production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformative!, January 3, 2010
I got this DVD to get back into yoga after a year off (and after too much holiday food). I'd never exercised with a DVD before and was skeptical, but Sadie is amazing. Some of her sequences are more advanced than I am (I can't do inversions of any sort) but you can pick and choose from different shorter sections that allow for a gentler learning experience. I think another reviewer listed the available DVD selections.

Sadie has developed a challenging routine that kicks your butt but stays true to yoga (albeit rigorous yoga). No karate kicks or dancing here. One amazing thing is how Sadie shows you new ways to move into poses. I've always had trouble with standing poses (warrior I & II, e.g.) and my previous instructors used a sequence of movements leading to standing poses that I always found difficult. With Sadie, I realized that I don't need a block to do Utthita Trikonasana, and I've only had the DVD for 4 days. I would never have even considered trying this before. She offers advice on modifying positions if you're 'building strength' (a nice way of saying you're sort of out of shape/inflexible, like me). If you need a ton of guidance for modifying positions, this may not be the best DVD for you. I'm an advanced beginner and have some knowledge of how to go easy and not overextend myself, but some of her poses are quite advanced and injury would be possible without proper caution. That said, her sequences are really transformative and body-changing. You do burn fat/calories - this is an aerobic workout. I can't recommend this DVD enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite, March 7, 2010
I had been using Rodney Yee's videos Yoga Burn and Power Yoga: Total Body workout before purchasing this. This is very different. Although as challenging as Power Yoga: Total Body, the style just did not suit me as much. Rodney's cues are concise and to the point... Sadie adds some "motivation" with hers. Some of the poses feel awkward to me, and not in a good, "this is working my muscles out" kind of way. For instance the high lunge where the back foot is kept arched for an eternity rather than being grounded as is more common in yoga; that one gave me an awful foot cramp. The chair pose hugging in and out gave me a back cramp. There are a lot of crunches. I think having done more traditional yoga, I just did not get into this one. I still use the video once in a while, with lukewarm enthusiasm. All that being said, this video might suit someone else's exercise personality perfectly.

Used & New from: $28.72