Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corel DVD Copy 6 Plus
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on August 23, 2008
Well, if you are looking for a product to rip your DVDs (movies) that you have legally purchased and want to convert into a format usable for your iPOD, Zune, whatever....this is NOT for you, don't waste your time, effort or money. After spending time going through all the installation (which was long because this app wanted some additional Microsoft drivers), when you try to convert your DVD, a popup informs you that you cannot copy copy protected media. And guess what? Every movie you have on DVD is copy protected media and you are dead in the water with this product. Only thing I can see it might be good for is converting my home video presently archived on DVDs to a different format. Wave off this one!
66 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 26, 2008
DVD Copy is a very capable package. If you are burning DVD's, and converting to and from various video formats (iPod, PSP, Mpeg, Quicktime, TiVO, DVD, WMV), and ripping MP3's from video, this is a very solid package. I have totally stopped using Roxio Easy Media Creator. Roxio has overbloated that package and this simple software just does the job right.

This was an upgrade from Version 5 (I was very familiar with that previous version) whose Vista compatibility is just OK.

Positives:
Overall the upgrade is an improvement, the user interface is prettier, the software seems a bit more stable, and the preview window works well (the previous version would actually lock my computer up). The preview feature added a full screen preview mode, a double edged sword. On the one hand you can see pixellation, compression artifacts, color, video size, etc. The downside, the screen resizes to the dimensions of your monitor - so if you are previewing a 16:9 screen (almost every DVD is in that format these days) on a 4:3 monitor (almost all monitors are this dimension) you end up with a squeezed skinny view. It's awful to look at. They've simplified the video output formats significantly, easy drop down boxes. The progress meter is outstanding.

The negatives:
They removed the ability to tweak video conversion output settings (present in version 5) - you are now stuck with their predefined settings (there are a lot of them, but you cannot tweak anything). Their DivX support is really poor - videos are well compressed, but look really bad for the given size, and DivX menus are automatically inserted into the output file.
I had one heck of a time installing this program. The package includes a DVD player (InterVideo DVD 6 Silver), a virtual drive utility (allows you to copy or make CD / DVD images of games so you don't have to insert them in your optical drive), and a disc label program. After installing DVD Copy the installer progressed to the Virtual Drive program. There the installer hung at stopping one of it's own services. Sadly, I could not find a way to stop that service or remove it. And Corel's tech support is pitiful, absolutely no help. So the total install failed and for some reason it threw about 12 tiny programs into my installed programs (none of which can be removed). After about 2 hours of messing around, I finally got Virtual Drive and the DVD player removed and am only running the Copy program.
The DVD player is the Silver version. Corel should be strung up for their ridiculous naming of this player. Silver means you got the freebie version (no patches work on it). Gold means you bought it standalone, and you can patch it. Platinum means something altogether different, but no idea what. All three are very different prices.

I'm happy I upgraded this program for Vista compatibilty. It works much better than the previous version, and the interface is more intuitive. It burns DVD's extremely well. Thankfully virtual drive is now a separate program, because it is pretty well useless.
44 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2008
I bought this from best buy for over $50 (including tax), and it definitely was a waste. Installation wasn't a problem. Trying to get it to do tasks for you is. I wanted it first for batch converting some avi to ipod format, but for some reason I keep getting a target error, which isn't true. I then used it for converting a batch of avi to dvd, but again the target error. I e-mailed support, but they were rude the first time. The second time they just didn't reply. I suggest buying something else, or look harder for free software on the net.
on May 29, 2008
I have owned DVD Copy versions for several years and have upgraded as new ones came out. Version 6 is the first one that I regretted upgrading to. It is not as easy to use as ver. 5, and provides very little in new functionality. If you have ver. 5, hang on to it and skip ver. 6. Hopefully ver. 7 will be an easier-to-use upgrade, with really new, improved functions, not buried in stacked menus.
on August 22, 2008
We got DVD Copy 6 Plus for $50+tax and found it to be a total waste of money. First, we got "DVD-R not compatible" (or something like that) when we did a DVD to DVD copy. So, we copied from DVD to HD first. Like one of the other reviewers, we got a "target error" message when we used a brand new DVD-R to copy from the HD to DVD-R. When it finally was given a DVD-R that it was happy with it decided to take a LOOOONNNGGG time to do the copying -- it has been 48 hours since it started and it is only at 90%. I called tech support at Corel and they said it would cost $15 for a live person to help me! There e-mail support is not that great -- some required items e.g. Serial number are not marked as required. However, once you send in the request, it asks you to go back and enter the serial number. One problem with this approach, you can not hit any link after entering the missing serial number! You must re-enter the content of your message into a new e-mail page. Talk about inefficient. If they cannot design a decent webpage, how can they write the code for software to do a much bigger job? I would not use this program even if somebody paid me to use it.
on October 22, 2008
I looked at this software to Rip my own dvds onto my iphone for my own personal use. Luckily I found a trial version of this software from corel's website, but what I found out is it will not do anything with copyrighted dvds.

The software does look fairly decent. It's fairly simple. Doesn't have editors or slide show creators or advance like that. $50 for this i'd say is $30 too much.

I had no problems installing. I don't have any corel software on my pc already.
on January 11, 2009
Corel is cool in that they give a 30 day trial version that is fully functional. But my gripe with this product is that if there is a scratch on the dvd it quits! No recovery! Get a copier that recovers! I just used a trial version of dvd cloner 6 and it copied my slightly scratched DVD fine! [...] you can see the features of several dvd copiers. And no I don't work for the website!

Also, the foot print of Corel's is huge 306 mbytes for a download! Also, doesn't allow "illegal copying" of dvds. So if you want to copy a dvd that you just bought just for a backup version in case you scratch the original, no way! (that's legal and commonsensical in my mine).

And the price of the dvd cloner vs corel' copier is about the same
in the $30-$40 range.

So no brainer go with a different product. I probably end of
gettng the dvd cloner 6.

Good luck!
on January 8, 2011
I purchased Corel DVD Copy 6 for the specific purpose of copying personal, non-protected DVDs and CDs. It worked fine for this purpose, but when I loaded it into my computer, I found that my Windows Movie Maker Program failed to work (crashed immediately upon opening) after I tried to use a file created by DVD Copy 6 in it. Apparently the file was incompatible with the Movie Maker. So I reset my computer to an earlier time before I had loaded DVD Copy 6, and Movie Maker worked fine again. Then I reloaded DVD Copy 6, and without even trying to use its files in Movie Maker, Movie Maker again crashed whenever I tried to open it. So I again reset my computer to a time when DVD Copy 6 was not in it, and Movie Maker worked fine again. I returned DVD Copy 6 to Amazon for a refund.
on July 15, 2010
So, if I had read the reviews before I bought this software, I would not have bought it. As others have said, it's get pre-set parameters which cannot easily (if at all) be changed. Support from Corel is not free and not easy to access. Time for me to get rid of this and find something else. AVOID...AVOID...AVOID.
on January 1, 2010
I am a little perplexed with this product. I owned the DVD Copy 5 prior to this, and found it to be very useful, albeit slow. When I had to format my laptop, I lost the program. I upgraded to this, as I wanted to have a newer version, and was disappointed.

DVD Copy 5 Platinum was more intuiitive and actually worked.I had problems loading this onto my laptop, but got to eventuially work. The biggest issue I have with this is the fact it will not convert any movies. Now, for those people that rated this product low becasue it could not convert encrypted movies didnt do their homework. This is not the products fault. However, once the encryption is not an issue, this is where I blast this.

I loaded the program, and tried to convert into my preferred storing and viewing format, WMVs. The program does not convert the entire movie, only parts. And, then labels them in a wierd way. I have tried to change the settings (as with other comments, I like DVD Copy 5 in that I could change the bitrate and other details as I desired) but can not get it to work. I could work around this, and go with one of their settings, assuming I could get it to work.

Went back and tried the DivX, MPEG and other formats, only to get the same results.I can get the first 10-20 minutes, and then stops, saying it has successfully converted it.

Not sure if this is user error, a settings thing that I have to change and can't figure out, or that the software is faulty or a complete piece of crap. Either way, until I can get this to work, do not recommend getting this to convert your movies. Have not tried the DVD Copy feature, so no comments on that.