on July 12, 2012
Update:

My original experience with VideoStudio X5 was not very good, as seen below in the original writeup. However, I am now upgrading my rating from a 2 to a 4. It does not warrant a 5 yet as PowerDirector's and Vegas' audio and video editing features are quite a bit more powerful and PowerDirector's advertised publishing features are way more powerful for similar prices. Maybe X6 will be able to catch up.

Afer my issues noted originally, I then downloaded Cyberlink's PowerDirector 10 to test and hopefully purchase. However, it would not preview the standard AVCHD mts files that all of the other editing programs I own or have tested, will. The clips would be displayed properly on the timeline but would not show in the preview window and an error popup stating, "Cyberlink PowerDirector could not construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit." would appear.

A search on the Internet led me to Cyberlink's forum and shows that one of MANY items to cause this could be not having the proper CODEC installed. And one fix was to download the K_Lite_Codec_Pack. I did so and loaded the basic and then the standard packages to no avail.

With further testing of VideoStudio X5, I am unable to reproduce the video lockup issues I had previously. So installing the CODEC package may have fixed the issue I was having with VideoStudio X5- hopefully, maybe.

I am currently retesting using part of the same 18 GB of AVCHD files from our vacation, which is 8 GB of whitewater rafting clips. One of those clips is 2 GB / 27 minutes in size and I have trimmed it very similarly as I originally had performed and so far am having none of the issues noted originally- and I am trying hard to break it...

Original:

I own Sony Vegas 10/DVD Architect 5 and liked them, but both would take a long time to render, 2.5 - 4 hours for a 2+GB DVD project and were not 100% reliable, and the issues I were seeing could also be found in Internet postings dating back to 2009.

I started testing other video editing programs through download trialware and initially liked VideoStudio X5 Ultimate a lot. The overall setup and potentially smooth operation of this program has so much to offer for video editing, it puts other programs to shame, is relatively easy to use once one figures out the general operation and very flexible with several ways to accomplish the same goal, depending upon one's circumstances. Sony Vegas has more powerful features, but VideoStudio X5's interface is a much smoother operation, has much faster rendering and is more flexible. Initially I was very pleased with VideoStudio X5's feature set and relative ease of use.

But as the last 7 days and many hours of simply trimming clips and combining projects have elapsed and countless program lockups occured, I am tired of messing around with this. I am going to finish my last project from our vacation and then delete VideoStudio X5.

I had similar experiences as "Rob" noted and worse, as mine were audio (lost audio several times and had to reload VideoStudio) and video related. I have a fast, new, HP 3D 17" Envy laptop and the video locks ups at the most inopportune times within this program. It is maddening to try and edit clips when the video in the preview window stops and yet the window with the individual frames just keeps on scrolling by as one is trying to synchronize the exact frame to trim. And it is amazing how slow the video can become in VideoStudio X5 or come to a standstill for a minute while Windows Task Manager-Performance is showing only 15% - 20% CPU usage and still having plenty of memory available.

I can even do some work in Microsoft Word or any other program and they all have snappy response, while at the same time, VideoStudio is at a crawl and seemingly attempting to catch up with key strokes. It manifests itself mostly when using one of the various scroll bar types and trying to move through video quickly to get to a certain point to trim the clip.

I subsequently learned that at any hint of video or audio hickups while editing, to save quickly or lose whatever I had been working on. And even without any semi-hidden warning, it would lockup as I tried to save a project.

My downloaded copy of VideoStudio X5 (supposed to be the same as the for sale version) is not ready for sale to the public. This is more like a beta version and I certainly do not want to be a beta tester. I tried to update it, as I was expecting there to be a fix for some of the obvious issues I encounted performing general clip trimming functions, but none were available. If Corel comes up with some serious fixes for the issues I have had, I will test to ensure all is now well and then happily purchase this program.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2012
This is the second VideoStudio version that I have owned. While I enjoyed the ProX2 version, it had a problem of shutting down while I was working on a project. I have not had that occur in this Prox5 Ultimate version. There is a learning curve to the program, and the manual could be more helpful(but I rarely find a helpful product manual anymore). The projects I have done so far are smaller 10-15 minutes in length, and the program renders the final product much faster than the ProX2 version. I can only speak for DVD renderings as I have not done any Blue Ray projects.
My computer has an Intel I5-2400 CPU @3.10GHZ with 8 GB of ram, and Windows 7 64 bit operating system. To this point I have not had any glitches or problems of any kind with the program. I have also installed the VSProX5 SP1 update available through Corel's website.
Capturing the video to the program is simple enough. I have also added additional sound tracks to the videos without any issues. The effects and graphics I have tried have worked flawlessly as well. There are so many features in this version, I don't know if I'll ever use all of them, but I'm glad they are there if I choose to delve into them someday.
I have owned this program for about three months now and overall, so far I am extremely happy with VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate by Corel.
on November 26, 2012
Downgrading from a supposedly more professional program (Final Cut Pro), I was worried if this program would even let me make the professionals videos I was making before. It does! There are even things I like more about this than Final Cut, such as NO RENDERING! I also like how many of the common effects and things you do in professional video productions, this program does with the click of a mouse (instead building things from scratch like you would with Final Cut Pro). It saves me time, money (Final Cut is a $1,000 program) and allows me to input and output all kinds of video types and formats that I get demand for.

Only downside is the playback. It's not smooth. And the more you edit, add effects, titles, etc, the worse it gets. But I think that's just because it's sort of a "preview". But at least it allows you to see something without rendering first! After you output the entire project, of coarse, it does play perfectly smooth (even 1080 HD video). I think if I just upgrade my system (I've got a dual core AMD compressor now) that might take care of it.
And it does crash sometimes. But I've never used an editing program doesn't. Hitting the Ctrl S keys from time to time has become a habit for me, so that's not much of an issue.
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2012
Format: DVD-ROMVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Updated review: Although this software seemed to burn discs fine, to my dismay, none of them would play. I tried playing three separate BD burns on two different machines, and the discs would not be recognized. I went back and tried to burn an AVCHD disc from the same project, but this time I would constantly get an "Unknown error found" message over and over.

So, all my effort for several projects was wasted, not to mention turning several discs (Blue-ray and DVD+DL) into coasters. I have no idea what Corel did to this software, but for me, it has turned into a disaster (I did update the software twice, as per their prompts). I'm going back to the Pro X4 version, or better yet, I am switching back to Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Adobe Premiere Elements 10 [OLD VERSION] (my old standby). My rating has now dropped to one-star....I suggest you go another direction.

Previous review:
I've been a user of VideoStudio X4 for about a year, and decided to go for the X5 version through a Vine offering to check out the upgraded features. The X5 version is noticeably faster than X4; without putting a stopwatch against it, I would guess it does the job in about 1/3 less time than its predecessor.

Here are a couple of points I would like to make right off the bat: 1) I am not a professional video producer/editor....I'm just a family guy that loves to take HD video of the family during vacations, birthdays, holiday events, etc. 2) My PC is pretty robust, with a quad core i7 Intel processor and 12GB of RAM, plus a 2GB video card.

I've run two "projects" through the X5 software. Oddly, I had a hard time pulling the video files from my SD card into the timeline of the program. I tried the "Capture Video" tab and it simply could not find it, even though the drive and its contents were clearly visible when I pulled up my computer drives. I was finally able to do it within the File drop-down menu, by clicking on "Insert Media File to Timeline." I should also mention that once, when trying to load the files via the "Capture Video" tab, I got the dreaded "Program is not responding and will need to close" message, which gave me a shudder. After re-starting, though, that problem did not re-appear.

Once the files were loaded, everything was about the same as X4 as far as the interface and the options. Also, as I mentioned before, the speed of loading the files, and once I went to burn to a disc, the speed to burn were both much better. I burned three 45-minute Blue-ray discs (two copies for family) in a little over an hour.

I do like to insert titles into my videos, like "Christmas Morning, 2012," or "At our hotel in Clearwater Beach, <date>," etc. This was fairly straightforward and very similar to X4, but I did have a slightly harder time getting the special effects to take hold, more difficulty than I had with X4. I like the titles to spin around, pop up one letter at a time, etc. just to get a few "Oooohs and Ahhhhs" from the family. I think getting the special effects to work properly with the titles will get better with practice, though.

One other thing I noticed that was different from X4: At the end of a project, when I clicked on the "Share" tab, and selected "Burn to a disc," the X4 software would offer to put a title at the beginning of the video. I did not get this offering from the X5 version, so apparently that has to be put in ahead of time with this upgrade. Not that big of a deal, I suppose...but I did get used to that process flow in the previous version.

Lastly, from the Corel "User Guide" and just for your reference, some of the main new features that Pro X5 has to offer as opposed to the Pro X4 version are: 1) insertion of screen capture from your computer, 2) ability to exclude certain media (like titles) from the video off the timeline with one click, 3) 3D video support, 4) ability to link with PaintShop Pro to insert photos, 5) more overlay tracks <21 in total>, 6) ability to create multiple copies of discs from ISO disc image files. There are, of course, many more listed on the Amazon product description page.

Quite frankly, I don't think any of these new features will significantly apply to an average consumer user like me, but I do like the increased speed that this version has to offer by taking better advantage of higher end processors. The software also comes with several bonus tools, including special effects and image stabilization.

This appears to be a fairly solid, feature rich video editing software. However, if you already own Pro X4, I suggest you keep what you have for now. As I continue to use the software, should things change I will update the review. Thanks for reading and I hope my comments might have helped you to some degree.
Format: DVD-ROMVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using the x4 version of VideoStudio for a while now, and I really like it. I use it to assemble HD clips, mostly 10-15 minutes in length. It has never frozen or crashed (except when using the Multi-Trim Video feature, as noted below), and along with rock-solid performance it gives consistently excellent results. Corel promises much faster performance in Version x5 by wringing every bit of performance out of multi-core CPUs and the latest video cards. It also offers more in the area of special effects and multi-track audio, but I don't use those features so I can't review them here. The interface for both versions is exactly the same, so you'll have no difficulty if you update. As far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything else differently or better, so the advertised extra speed would be the only reason to buy x5 if you're already using x4.

After a bit of testing, I've noticed that when you start a new project, it definitely loads the clips faster. Adding the clips to the timeline, or manipulating them, seems to take about the same amount of time. For a quantifiable test, I took a couple of projects and rendered them with both versions. 14 minutes worth of HD video clips rendered into ADCHV (1920x1080P) using version x4 took 22 minutes; using version x5 took 20 minutes. The file sizes were nearly identical, and the picture and audio seem identical also. A 9-minute clip took about 11 minutes in both v4 and v5, again with similar file sizes and qualities.

The Multi-Trim Video feature now works fine. You can either use that, or Split-By-Scene to break down and trim a clip, depending on your tests. The Multi-Trim jog wheel makes it effortless to cut scenes to the exact frame you choose.

Help is the weakest point. Clicking on "Help and Product Information" brings up a window with four tabs, "Home", "Learn", "Do More", and "Messages". "Home" lets you check for updates, "Learn" gives you access to clips explaining some of the basics, "Do More" lets you download freeware/payware add-ins, and "Messages" tells you when you have an update available. There is no help file as such, no way to enter in a term and search for it. The difference between this, and help for the CorelDraw package, which has a superb, cutting-edge multi-media help system available, is pretty shocking.

Bottom line: if you need a good, solid video editing system, look no further. This works well, and is extremely easy to learn and use. If you already have x4, unless a minor speed reduction will really help you out, you should probably stick with what you have until x6 comes along.
on June 26, 2012
Doing the simplest of tasks with this software is a chore. Just trying to lay an mp3 on the music tracks and sliding it around to match where you want it on the video is a nightmare. The "wait" spinner comes up every time you do something. Anyone who can find a way to slow down a quad core 2.8GHz with 10 GB of ram should leave the software industry. It's clunky, and difficult to work with. When I finally got the mp3 to line up where I wanted it, the sound STOPPED working. It was at this point I decided to look elsewhere for video editing software.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 13, 2012
Format: DVD-ROMVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nice consumer product that easily makes and burns DVD's of personal videos. The program includes several extras that make this item fun. The video capture feature, for example, is useful for anyone making "how to" You Tube videos.

That said, this thing is a nightmare to install. If running the program from the installation DVD, you should AVOID any of the unexplained "added features," which do not install without hangups, popups and innumerable other headaches. Definitely, also, avoid the special effects value pack (including the ProDAD Mercalli SE (image correction and stabilization), ProDAD VitaScene "fully customizable, high-speed effects, transitions and filters" and ProDAD RotoPen "animated pen effects" for maps, graphics and photos). Unless, that is, you want to have a 24 to 48 hour marathon of false starts and system restarts.

If you decide to "go for the gold" special effects in spite of their significant deficiencies, add them one at a time --- and pray. Nevertheless, expect trouble installing them. And don't expect to find instructions for them, either. The manual is 194 pages but has no information at all about the extras.

But the manual, such as it is, doesn't include instructions for novices. Users must know what they're doing to understand them. You'll need outside instructions to figure them out unless you're already a pro. And since the program was supposed to be for novices, that defeats the whole purpose.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
While I am not a professional videographer, I enjoy the occasional edit, and for that, VideoStudio X3 has always been my go-to software. It is fast, reasonably crash proof, and a pleasure to use.

Fortunately, this latest version is no exception. It has not crashed on me in over a week of usage, dealing with about 2 hours of HDV capture, editing, and rendering as AVCHD (1440x1080P) output. All of it passed without excitement and incident and I had a great video production at the end, complete with transitions, titling and video overlays.

X5 is a worthwhile upgrade to X3 - there's an amazing amount of new functionality to consider. However, if you're a user of X4, the difference is not quite as striking. Key new aspects include HTML5 support (which I've not used) and the ability to perform screen captures (the quality wasn't perfect in my use).

I'm running X5 v15.1.0.34 on a 3 year old Windows 7 x64 machine with a Core i7 processor. I seem to be fortunate in that this machine still handles VideoStudio like a champ.

That said, not everyone is happy with the stability and performance of VideoStudio. Given the number of negative comments I suspect that Corel may not have adequately tested this software.

The solution for avoiding disappointment and saving valuable time? Before you put your hard earned dollars down on the table, head on over to Corel's web site to download a copy for evaluation.

Happy Editing!
Format: DVD-ROMVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Corel allows downloads of 30 day trials of the full product from their web site so I'm going to dispense with comments about performance and hardware issues - those are all so variable that you're best served by downloading and running VideoStudio Pro X5 to see for yourself how it performs on your platform. I can say that it performs fine for me on my Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Phenom II (dual core) 3.2 GHz cpu with 8 gb of memory. I also run two monitors simultaneously which I find as a must for video editing. This version (Pro X5) touts that it utilizes AMD's multi-core CPU's features and I can anecdotally say that it does seem to be a little snappier than the previous version I've been running on the same platform.

First, the good. Corel is marketing this to the consumer and NOT the professional market (lower price, less features). That being said, I found it fairly easy to produce and burn DVD's of my own video clips. The standard library of features gives you lots of toys to play with and a creative amateur can come up with a lot of fun projects. I can easily give the product (at this point in my review) 4 out of 5 stars. The video capture feature was particularly nice and easily worked on my dual monitors. This is the tool I will be using for creating "how to use" video tutorials.

But.

Installation was VERY disappointing and substandard. One odd quirk was that the trial version came with all sorts of project templates as part of the package. The DVD install seemed to wipe those out and rely primarily on free downloads. Some of the downloaded templates were recognized on restarting the program, and some weren't (though they were usable if you know where to browse to find them). The whole library of resources was quirky and uneven in how it worked. Not horrible, but often annoying.

If you install from DVD, I don't recommend you add the extras initially (the Ultimate version comes with a separate disc for added features - none of which are really explained).

Every time I started the program it used "annoy ware" to tell me to upgrade a couple of the ProDAD addons ... NEITHER OF WHICH I HAD EVEN INSTALLED!!! After installing them, when I attempted to upgrade as directed, I was told to shut down the program "running in the background" before proceeding. Doing so with Windows Task Manager (the only way I could figure out how to shutdown the "Process" since the program wasn't showing as a "Task") ALSO shut down the upgrade window blocking the installation of the upgrade. I was able to figure a workaround, but the whole situation was VERY disappointing. Again kind of odd, the free 30 day trial version installed easily and cleanly and worked immediately with no problems.

I added the extra features from the "Special Effects Value Pack" one at a time, restarting the program each time after installs. On several occasions it locked up and I had to use the Windows Task Manager to kill the process. Eventually, I was able to get all of the extra features installed, service packs installed, updates installed ... and after restarting my entire system have found the program to be extremely stable.

My final criticism is that the added features, various NewBlue video and motion effects, and various ProDAD filters, are not explained in the initial documentation. The included 194 page manual is pretty good for the main product, but doesn't mention the add-ons. Given that there is no separate documentation for the add-ons, it's not clear WHERE these new add-ons go to, and what they actually do. If you write down what you have before you install, and compare after, you can figure out where these are. If you experiment with them, you can figure out what most of them do. However, trial and error would not be my recommendation for touting extra product features.

Now fully installed, I really like the program, its features, and the add-ons. It is running stably and efficiently I prefer this to Windows Movie Maker by far and it's now my main video editing tool. But the installation problems are a real issue. The product gets 4 out of 5 stars, the installation gets 2 stars = average of 3 out of 5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 20, 2012
This one crashes alot more than X4 ever did. Still a great program and it auto recovers your work when it does crash. Has a hard time with 1080p video from a GoPro. I recommend editing your gopro footage in Cineform as much as possible, then bringing it into this program. I think it might be the size of the files I am bringing in that are forcing it to crash.

Despite these issues, this is the best software for the cost. Very easy to use, I have made some great videos with this!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...