Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corelle Square Simple Lines Square 16-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 4, Black/White
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on May 8, 2007
I bought this to replace a set of Corelle dinnerware we've had over 15 years. The old set start getting gray and streaky as if the years of utensils against the surface in daily use finally took a toll. When I decided to replace that set, I had no doubt that it would be with another set of Corelle. It is lightweight, dishwasher and microwave safe, is thin enough to not stack too high in the cabinet, and it stays nice looking even with heavy use.

This set arrived well packed, the Corelle box and bubble packing inside another box, and everything was intact. The plates are really big! We will probably end up using the lunch plates as dinner plates sometimes. The bowls also have a very large capacity, easily two cups.

One main difference between this set and my old one is the coffee cups are not the same material as the dishes... they used to be made of the same 'vitrelle' and now are porcelain. I like the new ones better; they have a little more heft and keep my coffee warmer longer, and they are more elegant than our regular old unmatched mugs.

I love the squared shape of all the pieces, even the cups are a bit square. Perhaps it is because of the shape that the pieces all seem to have so much capacity. I like this pattern, Simple Lines, because it is a simple contemporary desigh. If I have one complaint it would be that the lines don't look solid and dark on the plates; in places the lines look like chalk stripes.
33 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2007
I love these plates - they are attractive and durable. In particular, the cups and bowls are good, practical sizes. My one complaint is that the black stripes are a different finish and rougher texture from the rest of the plate. Occasionally when a fork scrapes across one, we all get spine-tingles! If you are sensitive to this, you probably want to choose a different style. But I do highly recommend Corelle in general. My 5-yr-old cannot seem to destroy them (and he does try).
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I really liked this pattern when it came out and immediately bought 2 sets. I am here to buy another (always compare prices).

I had Corelle growing up and liked the lightweight nature of it and the durability. However, the patterns were not so hot for a while. The newer patterns are great! I gave my old dishes to a college-bound relative when I got these. It was just too hard on my hands lifting 4 stacked stoneware plates from the diswasher to the cupboard.

FYI, and stoneware/porcelain/ceramic dishes with chips should be discarded as dirt/bacteria can get into the unglazed part and you can't get it out. I don't like taking chances with my family's safety. I have never chipped a Corelle dish. My mother did drop one at walmart and it shattered into about a zillion shards, so it is possible.

The only bummer about this set is that the mugs ARE NOT corelle glass. They match but are ceramic. My old set had corelle mugs. The paint does look slightly different as it is on a different surface. The bowls also only have a black rim, too bad the lines aren't on them. I do see they have added some companion pieces. Still waiting for smaller dessert/salad plates to match this set.

Nice everyday dishes that can take rough handling of a family.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2006
We acquired four sets and are thrilled with the looks, the durability, the light weight, the feel of the material and the ease of cleaning - hands down the best (and the best looking) day to day set we ever had!
2016 update: still using the same set 10 years later. Nothing broken, nothing missing and still the same clean, modern, attractive appirance. Couldn't have done better!!

+++++++++++++++
It's been 4 years and we have disposed of all other sets we had (or received). We bought 2 more sets and other related items with the same design.

We'll never use anything else. PERIOD.

+++++++++++++++

it's 2013 and we're still thrilled with our purchase - we've actually increased our stash by buying even more items from this beautiful set.
on April 10, 2015
I have had these plates since 2013 and they have been great, but just yesterday one of the dinner plates just split in half while pulling it out of the cupboard. I was very surprised and hope this doesn't mean they are all going to start breaking.
review image
on January 13, 2008
This is the coolest set of dishes I've ever owned! They are lightweight but durable, and very stylish. I get compliments on them all the time, and most people can't believe they are Corelle! The square shape and modern design make them fun, and the strength of Corelle make them timeless. They seem a little light, but once you start washing them you realize that weight doesn't matter-- these babies hold up strong. The dinner plates are REALLY big and we end up only using the lunch plates. Instead of buying two 16-piece sets, I bought one set and then just bought individual lunch plates and bowls to add to the collection because I didn't want any more of the dinner plates. You really can't go wrong with this set, as long as they fit your style!
on January 12, 2007
I received this order broken. They are not packed to be shipped. I replaced them from a local store and the dishes are GREAT! NOTE: For those of you who have a small microwave, the large square dishes may not turn on the carousel because of their size and shape. The smaller plates in the set are almost big enough to be dinner plates themselves. They're durable and dependable like all Corelle dinnerware. Altogether a great set of dishes if you can get them in one piece.
on September 7, 2008
I bought these because they were simple, attractive and would fit in my cabinet. The only problem I have with them is that when I put hot food on a plate and set the plate on any flat surface, the bottom of the plate warps and it spins around the high spot. There is a certain entertainment value to chasing the plate around the table while trying to get a forkful, but overall I'd rather have it sit still. It does stop spinning when the food cools. So you can either eat cold food or make sure you always set the plates on a table cloth or place mat.
on August 27, 2015
I Know and respect Corelle wear, But I was disappointed by the quality of the printing on the set I received. Attached is one picture of the lines, strait out of the box. there are many spots like this all over the set. I am seriously worried about the longevity of the printing. Other than that it is a great set, Just try a different print.
review image
on June 12, 2007
I owned Corelle many years ago when my 4 children were small; it was light, very versatile and no piece ever broke or chipped. When they were all in their teens, I decided to get "real" dinnerware. Needless to say, I have been suffering in silence since that time. It has been about 8 years now and I've finally gone back to Corelle. This set that I purchased (2 actually) is exactly what I've been wanting for years. It is the same old Corelle but updated (square) and very stylish. I've had these sets for about 1 month now and I love it! I will never go back!