5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Forget wet bottles and wine chillers
Published on November 6, 2011 by Sapere Aude

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever But...
This is a clever product, no doubt, BUT it has two drawbacks. First, you have to remove the icicle to pour wine. This is awkward and messy. Second, the icicle only goes halfway down the bottle. Given the shape of the bottle, that means that when the bottle is less than half full the icicle no longer touches the wine and is thus ineffective.
Published 21 months ago by GreatCook

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever But..., December 18, 2012
GreatCook (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE, November 9, 2013
LaBellaNovella (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
Please read this review before you purchase this as a gift...

My husband and I received a Corkcicle as a gift last holiday season. We thought it was the most adorable xmas gift and used right away for our holiday party the following night. We followed the instructions and when cold placed the cicle in our white wine.

A bit later, as someone went to pour their glass of wine, they noticed that the Corkcicle had broken and the "non-toxic" gel had gotten into the wine. No problem, we pitched the bottle and the cicle and moved on thinking nothing of it until later that night when I became violently ill, as did two of my guests I later discovered.

I don't know when the Corkcicle broke, or how long we drank the tainted wine unknowingly while the gel mixed in with our drinks ... but I am telling you in all seriousness, I have never, ever been sicker in my life. It took me days to recover fully. I am seriously, seriously blessed that the guests who did get sick are close friends and there were no ramifications from the experience...but it was awful and I felt terrible. We were all very lucky, all things considered, that it wasn't worse.

If you are going to buy the Corkcicle, by all means be very, very careful with it -- even if you think you're using appropriately, check it often and DO NOT leave it sitting in the bottle. Look over the plastic carefully each time you take it from the bottle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea. Useless execution., December 4, 2012
The Corkcicle is placed in the freezer, and when the gel in the tube is chilled, you replace the bottle's cork with this but unfortunately, the product doesn't really keep your chilled wine chilled for an extended period, or cool off your warm wines and keep it that way for a while.

For chilled wines, I found that after about 1/2 hour, the wine wasn't kept as crisp and chilled as the old reliable bucket with ice would keep it, unless you are drinking your wine quickly. And who does that? For the warm wines, it creates some cooling, but the warmth of the wine warms the Corkcicle, so the wine does not remain at an adequate temperature. And the problem exasperates itself when dealing with large bottles of wine, the kind you might put out for when you have guests.

Another thing I've discovered while using it is that when you go to pour your wine and remove the Corkcicle, wine drips from it, so you have to keep something handy to wipe. At least with the old bucket, I wipe the moisture from the bottle, and it's just water. With this thing, I'm wiping up red wine.

If you are a wine enthusiast, don't replace the ice bucket with this thing. If you are thinking about this as a gift, you might want to think again. It is nothing but a novelty item. For the same money, you can get a gorgeous stainless steel tub. And a stand and you're golden. Or try the Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set as an alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Forget wet bottles and wine chillers, November 6, 2011
What a perfect idea! Wine never ends up back in the ice bucket after its opened and tends to sit on the counter and warm up. With this - not only does that not happen, it chills it faster since its in the middle of the wine rather than outside the bottle. Plus - its much easier to get back in than the original cork is! This is definitely going in a few stockings this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars sick, November 10, 2011
This thing is the coolest little thing ever. Keeps the wine cold and I love it. Always got one in my freezer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, works well!, December 20, 2011
C. E. Gregory (Boonton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered a number of these as Christmas presents and 2 for myself. I used them this past weekend and they worked great! Several of my guests that will be receiving them as presents were in attendance and wanted to know where I got them. I guess it is safe to say they will like their presents. My only negative comment (which does not affect my rating) is that I think they are way overpriced! I am sure the novelty will attract buyers, like myself, however the price may turn potential buyers off as it makes sense to have 3 or 4 for entertaining and that equals a chunk of change. Hope to see the price go down as I want to order more.

5.0 out of 5 stars For everyoine that serves wine, December 29, 2011
I gave this as Christmas gifts and everyone loved it. It keeps the wine cold after the bottle is opened. It would also make a great housewarming or shower gift.
I would recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep white wine cold, December 13, 2011
Louise Shappee (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
The Corkcicle has so far fit nicely into every bottle of white wine with which we've tried it. It keeps the wine cold while on the dinner table . . . maybe not as cold as in the refrigerator, but cold. No wet and messy ice buckets, no heavy marble bottle holders which don't work, no trips to the refrigerator for more wine. It's a smart innovation!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute and Ineffective Gimmick., December 31, 2012
While this is an attractive product I am unable to recommend it as a functional wine cooler. It's pretty ineffective when it comes to lowering the temperature of any wine or keeping a cold white chilled for that matter. You are much better off just getting a bucket and filling it with ice to keep a bottle cold. If you are wanting to lower the temperature of a red just a bit then throw it in the fridge for a couple minutes. If you want a product just for the gimmicky nature of it then I'd recommend the Corkcicle... but if you're looking for an actual way to chill or keep your wines chilled then I would definitely recommend looking into another method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for the wine afficianado, December 31, 2011
A gift for the person who has everything or loves gadgets! Found this works great for a quick cool down of wines during a during a dinner party where a wine sits out. The one issue we had was that at first freezing some bottle necks a little small for the cold expansion but after a minute would fit OK. Really great for red wines that need to be sipped a little above room temp but an ice bucket would be way too cold for! Our corkcicle now has its own permanent place in our freezer!

Corkcicle Color Wine Chiller, Pink