Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cornbread (Kindle Single)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

It was bad enough that Jenny blew her husband's head off, but to interrupt him while he was watching his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks on TV was unforgiveable. On the other hand, Arkansas was getting blown out by the hated Georgia Bulldogs, so maybe it was more like a mercy killing.

"Cornbread" reminded me of the cable TV series "Snapped," where a woman reaches her breaking point and kills someone, and that someone is often her spouse. Granted, Jenny had enough reasons to despise her husband, but she was just as upset with Deborah Brandon, the loudmouth who wouldn't stop bragging about her husband's promotion at the mill. She did get a small measure of revenge against Deborah, but her husband was the one who suffered the brunt of her pent-up anger.

I enjoyed "Cornbread," with Jenny's homespun matter-of-fact narration of the process by which she came to commit murder. There's nothing funny about such a brutal act, but it was a bit humorous to see Jenny's strange behavior afterward, and her preoccupation with cleaning up the mess she made.

"Cornbread" is a nice coming-out effort by author Sean Hammer.
88 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2013
I really enjoyed this story. I am trying to read more short stories in an attempt to inspire more of my own, and this is exactly the kind of story that I'd like to write. The story itself is pretty formulaic- a girl in a dusty one-horse town marries a handsome working-class hero who almost immediately goes to seed. But since the tragic end of the tale is already established in the explosive (no pun intended) first sentence, Hammer has a good time getting deep into the character he's created and building from the inside out as a surprisingly smart, funny, fascinating little sociopath. There's so much in this small space of a narrative, and it's well-worth the price to breeze through it. You still live with this character well after you're finished reading her story.
on August 14, 2014
This is a short story of some twenty-odd pages that has the narrative voice of a young woman unhappily trapped in a small Arkansas town in a loveless marriage. While avoiding giving away the ending, the story creates some ambiguity whether the narrator is insane or simply driven to a point beyond self-control. The title is a symbol for the effort one woman has put into her life and how it is seemingly never appreciated. While it took only approximately half-hour to read and is not one that moved me emotionally, it was an interesting way to pass the time at an affordable cost and served as an effective enough introduction to Mr. Hammer's work that I will pay attention to his work in the future.
on November 21, 2012
I liked how the author placed us inside Jenny's head where we got a bird's eye view of each thought and action. One could easily see the similarity between the poor quality ingredients for the cornbread and the poor quality ingredients that made up her adult life. His end seemed inevitable after a point and Jenny could only retreat into apathy. An excellent read that was just long enough.
on August 26, 2014
What effect does daily abuse have on a person who has never known anything but abuse? This story is bleak but meaningful. The situation reminds me of my first husband, so I had an empathy for the character who speaks in the first person in this grim short story. But I liked the tale!
VINE VOICEon January 12, 2013
I think this is the first time in my experience of reviewing books here at Amazon that I have found the reviews as entertaining as the subject...

It appears that many readers do not have any concept of what a "short story" is...Sean Hammer has actually written an excellent short story. He gave us a complete narrative in just 23 pages, and he developed his characters very well. This is not an easy thing to do. Jenny is a young and not very bright (the term "battered woman" always made her think of a deep fried food), extremely unhappy young woman. Her husband (who, rather cleverly, I thought, remains nameless) is a buffoon and treats Jenny roughly and thoughtlessly. As far as being "battered", we see him grab her by the wrist aggressively once, but that is rather light abuse in relation to Jenny's ultimate act of revenge. So I am going to make the leap here and guess that Sean was kind of sketching a "tongue in cheek" little tale with this humorous but with an "edge" story. I could hear Sean's male voice in Jenny a little too loudly, unless his goal was to make her very stupid. He took a very serious cultural problem and parodied it here in my opinion. I enjoyed the Arkansas vernacular, and the whimsy of the "cornbread"...I am just going to assume this was not meant to be a serious piece.

Sean is a talented writer. I hope he continues...I think he has a future. Anyone who read and enjoyed the ridiculously successful "The Help" will enjoy Sean's first effort. Ms. Stockett supposedly received 60 rejection letters before a publisher took "The Help"...so don't give up, Sean! I think you have marketable talent.
on November 5, 2012
Hilarious but almost too much with the Arkansan dialect. Being from the midwest, I immediately knew what the author was doing. He captured the personna of how they think down there. The "Good Ole Boy" stereotype. "Accidents DO happen". Only wish the author would have made it so, something like a double entendre or double jeopardy. Cheers to you.
on November 22, 2012
I really enjoyed this kindle single. The author, who I read is only 24, did an excellent job with the characters and it sounded as if he himself could be a southern black woman. It read quickly, and I would recommend this to anyone.
on February 7, 2013
Although this was a rather strange little story, it was well written and made a point. How many women are there who are ready to0 explode because of this type of insidious abuse which becomes a way of life? No one can know until the breaking point comes that some people live in quiet desperation. Well told!!
on July 28, 2013
This single is like a quick journal entry of a woman's downfall. I was entertained and it also makes you think about the different views some people might have in life when their situations is less than ideal.