5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, if you care about your cat(s).
Published on July 16, 2001 by a reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Breadth rather than depth
Published on May 24, 2000 by Gromer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, if you care about your cat(s)., July 16, 2001
a reader (Wayne, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cornell Book of Cats: A Comprehensive & Authoritative Medical Reference for Every Cat & Kitten (Hardcover)
The Cornell Book of Cats is the definitive feline health text for cat owners, cat breeders and wise vets. Its depth and range of practical advice and its clear, non-jargon-laden symptom description and treatment options are, in my opinion, without peer. It covers every aspect of feline life and demystifies the latest research and advances. Its descriptions and temperament assessments of the various breeds are accurate. One especially good feature uses simple YES/NO question 'trees' to identify symptoms and their possible causes and treatment choices. It also includes at-home remedies and, most importantly, when NOT to use these remedies. These two features alone, I've found, have 'armed' me with specifics to which a vet can more quickly respond. And, four times now, this book has pinpointed a problem that escaped a vet's initial diagnosis. You may find, as I did, that you will need no other cat health and care books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Breadth rather than depth, May 24, 2000
I thought I wasted money on this book. I just couldn't tell online which "complete cat guide" was really complete, and I went by the reputation of the Cornell Feline health care center (which I still think is excellent). However, I was disappointed because the book comprises of independent chapters authored by different experts. As a result, the chapters repeated themselves slightly (because the authors wrote independent of each other)and within each chapter, the authors did not delve deep enough into each subject. The tone was not sympathetic to a layman pet owner, but curiously neither was it technical enough for a practising veterinarian -- I think the editors just didn't do a good job. The coverage is broad and basic -- good for a first time cat owner, but certainly you need another book to supplement it. I am still shopping for a more comprehensive detailed book for domestic cat care.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference for cat owners, December 21, 1998
By A Customer
This is an excellent reference if you're a cat owner who wants to know more than the vet tells you. If you're like me, I ask a lot of questions, but busy vets don't always have the time to answer all of my questions. This book covers a lot of information, and is especially helpful if you want to know "why" or "how" a disease or condition occurs. I've gained a much better understanding of feline vaccines, parasites, viruses, etc. However, there's not much information on the medications used to treat the diseases in the book, and I'm still looking for a book with this kind of information in it. This book is fairly technical, so I would not recommend it for the average consumer. But that's why I like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive Medical Reference for Every Cat and Kitten., August 16, 2001
Written by faculty and staff of the Cornell Feline Health Center, Cornell University, THE CORNELL BOOK OF CATS is an inexhaustible font of current medical information that is clear yet does not sacrifice clinical accuracy or detail. It outlines the feline anatomy. It discusses behavior and misbehavior and how to understand, identify and correct a cat's behavior problems. The book gives readers guidelines on how to select a cat or kitten, whether a typical house cat or a valuable pedigree. It also provides descriptions of various national associations. Further, it explains feline nutrition and how to properly feed a kitten, and adult cat, an obese cat, a sick cat and an older cat.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a reference book for a vet, February 2, 2004
By A Customer
I just purchased this book and was disappointed. It is really more for a reference book that a vet might have or if your cat has already been diagnosed, you could look up the diseases to get a bit more of an understanding. If you are looking for a book on how to treat and understand your sick cat, this is not the book for you.
For instance, there is one reference if you try to look up HAIRBALL, and it tells you nothing...no information you could actually use. Basically, it's a dictionary and nothing more.
I do not recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have source to start with, February 11, 2007
I disagree with readers who say that the book is too general or out-of-date. It's a BOOK, not an article in a scientific journal.

That said, I also disagree with readers who say that it's too complicated. I believe that it's an important book for any responsible cat owner to have on the shelf. If you're worried but aren't sure whether something is an emergency or not, you can check here before making a midnight call to the vet or racing to the emergency clinic. If your vet tells you that a condition is suspected or diagnosed, it's a great reference to start to learn more about it, or to help you formulate questions for your vet. No, it's not a replacement for a visit to a vet, but it's a help.

Remember how every new parent read Dr. Spock's book 40 years ago? Well, I see this in the same light. A MUST for cat owners that provides information, helps allay fears, and guides you. If you have a serious question, it gives you the right technical terms to do more research. If you don't remember all of the details that you heard at the vet's, you can use it as a refresher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankly, pretty disappointing., August 28, 1998
By A Customer
This book came highly recommended by several authors I respect, but I wasn't thrilled with the quality. Several sections seem to gloss over the topics they cover, and even the supposedly revised version has some outdated information. There's a lot of useful information in this book, but I have a feeling there's a smaller, better written book inside struggling to get out.

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree, not enough detail, need supplements, June 20, 2000
By A Customer
My vet highly recommended this book, but I also found it to not have details for me when I looked up ailments my cat has. Also not very helful for owners to look up symptoms. It is comprehensive on the anatomy and diseases of the cat, but it reads like an intro text book and not an owner's guide. I would choose another book with more detail on the conditions and general care.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book belongs on the bookshelf of every cat lover, November 7, 2007
After recently going through a mysterious illness with my 6 month-old kitten, I realized that my reference shelf is severely lacking in cat-care books. I used the Internet to research kitty fevers, loss of appetite, kidney malfunction, and any of the specific diseases my vet mentioned she was testing for, but despite the wealth of information available online, there is no replacement for an expertly-researched cat-care manual. Cat Fanciers maintains an outstanding cat behavior FAQ online, and the Cornell Book of Cats was one of the highly recommended titles. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. This is a book I will be consulting for years to come.

The Cornell Book of Cats contains chapters authored by different subject matter experts. This does lead to some repetition throughout, but this isn't a book intended to be read from front cover to back. The reader should select articles based on his or her particular cat situation. Are you picking out a new cat and need to know which breed will best fit in your home? A new cat owner wanting to cure bad behaviors? A first-time kitten owner in search of medical and kitten-care info? A longtime cat owner with a slightly sickly cat who needs to know if the situation warrants a vet visit? A cat veteran who heard anecdotal home remedy advice and needs an expert opinion on the benefits and risks? Wondering what the reproductive cycle in cats, male and female, is like?

The text is supplemented with high-quality black & white illustrations and breed photographs. Includes an index.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always an Important Book, February 22, 2007
This copy I bought for our local non for profit shelter. I have purchased at least 10 copies of this book. It is written in a matter that both the professional and the pet owner can understand. It proofs to be most valuable for a cat owner. Educates and helps the cat owner understand both health, anatomy and illness in a cat. Also, valuable when you bring your cat home to understand "just what did the vet say?"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›