4.0 out of 5 stars Where can I find a chick that fights for me?
Published on September 30, 2012 by KevinB

3.0 out of 5 stars Living Dead Girl Fights Back
Published on April 15, 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Where can I find a chick that fights for me?, September 30, 2012
KevinB "The Honey Badger" (High Point, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
I was kinda surprised by this one. I got it b/c I was running out of things to watch, but its actually pretty good. Shikibane are corpses that hang on to life after their deaths. They survive on regrets and taking human life. Shikibane Hime are corpses that try to earn their way into heaven by killing shikibane. Machina is one such corpse princess. Her partner is Keisei, a high ranking monk. This story is about Machina, her quest to find the monsters that killed her and her family, and the relationship she builds with Keisei and his brother. This series has a dark feel, but it keeps you interested and caring about the characters. The supporting characters are very well done as well. It takes a special man to score a chick that will fight for him. Where can I find one? Corpse Princess is a good series. Its not happy or anyhting like that, but it's worth seeing at least once. Ive watched a few times myself. Try out the first part just to get a feel for it. You'll probably like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favs, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
violent. not for children. that out of the way....
This anime rocked me.
I couldnt stop watchin. A drama whose story left me wishin i could help the characters - whose story wrapped me tight. There were a couple times i was like "woah!"
Great quality! Great animation!
Awesome perspective during the action sequences! Character development to the max!
And the final episode, at the end of the second part, i thought was the ultimate final touch to an already amazingly well developed characterization. Touching.
I keep my reviews short so ill just say...
This anime will not dissapoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Series, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
This is a very good series. Lots of characters to interact with and some of them get some pretty good development. The only thing that concerns me is that some of the motives of the protagonists and the antagonists are either unclear or not very good. Overall this is a good series to check out if your inbetween anime.

4.0 out of 5 stars read the review by logan on part two same feelings on both, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
read the review by logan on part two same feelings on both. great anime shows pretty good wear on case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Series But Like A Few Others Expect To Feel A Sense Of Deja Vu, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
The action, drama, and gore of the series is enough to entertain any r-rated anime fan out there, and while there is fan service in the series the overall rating for any nudity won't go passed at most PG17 but again the series is bloody enough that it obviously isn't meant for young children to watch. The short info of the series is that you have a shadow group called the seven stars who wish to reign chaos on the world so thus help with the creation and upheaval that is caused by supernatural creatures called Shikabane people who have died with some regret in their lives that becomes warped and brings them back from death to try and find closure with their regrets but their feelings to fix these feelings become warped and most times causes mayhem and death for people. Now you have a group of holy mystical monks dedicated to stopping these creatures and the seven stars group and their choice of weapons are young teenage girls who have been killed by the Shikabane most times and through a long held mystical secret create contracts that binds these girls to their contracted monks with the promise that if they kill 108 Shikabane they will be rewarded with true death and entry into heaven. The characters are very entertaining to watch and the action is great but you can't help but compare the series a little to another one called Claymore where certain parts of this series match up a little with the Claymore series. The voice cast for the dubbed and subbed were picked very well and the animation is done very well too, if there's one complaint for this series I would say the ending for it was to open ended I can't give away to much but if you want to you can see the series subbed on HULU and see what I'm talking about. So for fans who like the hardcore femme fatale action hero here's a very good one right here but again the series reaches near R-rating with the gore so it's definitely not a family anime....

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Anime Series!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
This a very good Anime series. The Animation is good, the action scenes are of high quality. The story line isn't too complex, but it keeps you interested. It's not all serious, there are funny bits in it. No nudity, but some subjective adult humor. Characters die in the story, but hey, its about CORPSES! I'm hooked on it. It does involve characters who are in school, but the whole anime doesn't revolve around school, I typically can't stand anime like that. Also there is not a whole lot of that, boys are afraid of girls, no I'mma noble, gentleman, I wouldn't dare look at a naked woman, because it's wrong, crap; please, get real. But I would suggest it to anyone ready to watch, everything I fell in love w/ anime for, in the first place, well almost everything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
I was not expecting much going into it but by the time it was over I was shocked. I did not see that coming and it was amazing. No way you can stop watching after this, your watching the second half no matter what.

3.0 out of 5 stars Living Dead Girl Fights Back, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
The first thing with this anime that makes me angry is the English title. Corpse Princess. The title would make you believe that she may have a some kind of power over corpses. I like the Japanese title instead. I sorry America you but miss the target on the marketing of this anime.But they do give fan service. If you love monsters they got, you want to see hot girls with guns they got despite she may be dead. Don't let us forgot the girls clothes always ripping in all they fights. Its a solid story nothing original but solid and likable characters. There are some surprise with the ending. I would recommend to horror anime fans out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable - Dead and Gone, October 8, 2010
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
Makina Hoshimura is one of the undead known as a "Shikabane Hime", a Corpse Princess, who is capable of laying the restless undead to rest. Ouri is an innocent 15 year old high school student whose life if turned upside down when he learns that his "big brother" Keisei works with Makina laying the dead to rest. Keisei tries to keep Ouri out of danger, but Ouri's curiosity leads him deeper into the world of Shikabane.

I've seen hundreds of different anime, and am getting very tired of the stereotypical characters and cookie cutter plots many anime rely on. The only reason I stuck through all of the Corpse Princess: Aka (a.k.a Shikabane-hime: Aka), was because I was watching it on Funimation's YouTube channel during my lunch breaks at work. Otherwise I would have given up after a few episodes.

Corpse Princess isn't really a bad show - there are the noble undead fighting the evil undead and the innocent high school who gets caught up in the battle, the animation and character designs are well done, the voice acting good, and the music fitting. Unfortunately, it isn't enough. Decent animation, acting, and music, aren't enough to make up for the lack luster plot and boring characters. Makina is the cold, angry, kick-but character, Ouri is the bumbling, well meaning, kind character, and Keisei is the all-knowing, but never telling, character. See them once and you'll like them, see them a hundred times and it gets predictable and boring. The plot starts out focusing on just killing the rouge shikebane of the episode, but soon introduces the Seven Stars, a band of powerful shikebane with some nefarious purpose, who also happen to be the ones who killed Makina and her family. That pretty much covers the entire plot - defeat the bad guys. There isn't much else to it. Ouri does have a mysterious background that isn't completely revealed in this half, and if the videos had been posted, I probably would have watched the second half for that alone. But while waiting a few days for the first episode, I got bored and forgot about the show entirely.

This is a solid middle of the line anime - if you are still new to anime, you might enjoy this show. If you have seen enough anime that you now demand a well done and interesting plot with developed characters, try something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars a so/so anime, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka (DVD)
What I am about to write applies to both part one and part two of the anime....
I will try not to ruin much of the story but give points to support my views...

Story 3/5
Good undead chicks fight bad undead, some deep soul touching parts here and there but overall its pertty adverage.

Time and Time again Creepy love/lust towards the dead/undead here and there really took away from the anime...unless your into that kinda thing

The story of Ouri Kagami is the only real reason to watch this anime if your looking for a story.

Animation 4/5
Animation reminds me of a mix between FLCL and NinjaScroll, Fairly orginal, metric tons of blood/gore and well drawn for the most part. Only down side is at times the illusion is shattered by drawnings/animation that seem out of place...almost as if they forgot to take a scene out while editing.

Pros- Orginal looking anime, lots of gore, has touching parts to it, didn't lose interest the entire anime
e
Cons- Story was hit or miss for the most part, not enough closure at the end of part two, freeky undead/love vibe, only the story of Ouri peeked my interest

Would I buy it again, Yes but only after the price was around $29.99 for both seasons.

Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka
Corpse Princess: Part One - Aka by J. Michael Tatum (DVD - 2010)
Used & New from: $13.11