5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome security concept and the price is right.
I work in IT, and part of our regulatory compliance is that we have to have USB drives secure so that in case one is lost, there's nothing potentially damaging to the organization. Sadly, most of the time it's hard to enforce compliance because it's too confusing or too difficult for the users to do.

Corsair's solution is pretty slick with hardware level access...
Published on February 26, 2010 by Nick

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious security defect in Corsair Padlock
I bought 6 of these secure USB memory devices. One of them had an interesting experience. It went through the washer in a pocket. When it came out the password was not needed to get to the "secure encrypted" data. Having the password protection disappear is bad enough but getting the data exposed is a BIG SECURITY VULNERABILITY.

About a week later another...
Published on June 20, 2010 by G. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome security concept and the price is right., February 26, 2010
This review is from: Corsair Padlock Secure 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive CMFPLA8GB (Personal Computers)

Corsair's solution is pretty slick with hardware level access to the USB drive. Configuration (once you free it from the shrinkwrap without injuring yourself) is really easy - hold down the key button for 3 seconds, set your PIN, hit the key button again, verify your PIN and hit the key button again and that's it. The green light flashes and then you know you're able to insert the USB drive into your PC or Mac (I tested this on my Dell desktop and Macbook.) If the light's not flashing, Windows and OS X won't recognize the drive. It literally is that simple and takes 30 seconds to do.

Compared to devices like the Kingston Digital Traveler Secure 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, which are 4x the cost and rely on software based security that's not cross platform, Corsair's solution is great.

The performance of the drive is pretty good - it's as fast as my Sandisk 8GB Cruzer Titanium USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ7-8192-A11, Retail Package). I was able to copy large files over (photos in RAW format) and the drive seemed responsive enough.

The drive itself is typical of most Corsair drives - it's built ruggedly and you get the impression that you can run over this in your car and it'll still be safe. It's about twice the size by volume as my Sandisk Cruzer but it feels like it won't get lost easily and will handle abuse.

This drive isn't for everyone, but it's something to think about if you have anything that's not meant for prying eyes. If you're in healthcare or anything that requires your information to be secure, this is the drive for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful & impressive, May 13, 2010
Dr. Drew (Chattanooga, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I won't repeat everything the other 3 reviewers have sad about the padlock 2. It's convenient, secure, and rugged. However, I can't give it all 5 stars for 2 reasons:

1) I carry my padlock 2 in my pocket, and the soft outer covering quickly attracts and keeps lint and fuzz. Thus, the attractive surface quickly becomes unattractive (minor).

2) The big issue is the internal battery. I have had my padlock 2 about 3 months probably, and the internal batter seems to have lost the ability to keep a charge. Thus, it needs to be plugged into the computer to have enough power to unlock it. This has become a major inconvenience, and it loses some of the "wow" when I show it to other people.

Andrew

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious security defect in Corsair Padlock, June 20, 2010
G. Mitchell "." (Woodinville, WA USA) - See all my reviews

About a week later another of the Corsair Padlock drive's data was accessible (without entering a password and without washing it).

--- updated a week later ---

Corsair responded, appreciating being notified of the bug, and in what is an unusual move, published a detailed workaround on their web site. It is at
[...].
Based on their heads-up analysis of the situation and quick technical response I recommend their product and will continue using it. Note that the web commentary about easily defeating the encryption of the Corsair Padlock relates to a previous design, not the Padlock 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is designed to do, September 28, 2011
If you want to have important files extremely portable, yet secure and available to use on ANY computer including MACs, Windows, Linux, even Android machines, this is the device to get. It is entirely self-contained- there is no software to run on the computer. Just enter the PIN, plug this device in and it appears as a normal flash drive. When you disconnect from the USB port on the computer it automatically locks down. If you need even more storage and can tolerate a little less portability, this is what you want:Apricorn Aegis Padlock 640 GB USB 2.0 256-bit Encrypted Portable External Hard Drive A25-PL256-640 (Grey)

You can set a 4-10 digit pin to access the data on the drive. There are only 5 keys used to enter the PIN which you would think limits the range of PIN numbers, but since you can have a string of up to 10 digits, there are 5^10 possible PINs - that's 9,765,625 possible PINs. Brute force attacks are impractical because entering the wrong PIN 5 times shuts the device down for 2 minutes. It would take months to years to brute-force an unknown PIN.

Operation is simple. Enter the PIN and the green led blinks to indicate that the device is now open. You have 20 seconds to plug it into your computer where it will be recognized as a flash drive by whatever OS your computer runs, or it will lock down again automatically. As long as it is plugged into the USB port, your files are accessible. The device appears to behave just like a normal flash drive- you can drag and drop, copy and paste, or save files to it just like any other flash drive. Unlike a normal flash drive, this one encrypts ALL files stored on it with 256 bit AES encryption.

256 bit AES encryption is as secure as you're ever going to need unless you're storing codes to trigger nuclear missile launch. It takes some processing to do AES encryption/decryption so this flash drive isn't very fast. You might even call it slow. That said, unless you're copying DVDs or transferring other large blocks of data to it you're not likely to notice how slow it is.

You can set up a master PIN that will unlock the drive and wipe out your old PIN if you happen to forget your old PIN. Presumably you would store that master PIN somewhere safe where you could get at it if it were needed. There's also an emergency PIN - 911 - that the manual says will destroy the data on the drive. I believe it simply wipes out the PINs and leaves the encrypted data on the drive with no way to decrypt it (effectively destroying it) short of cracking AES 256 which is probably impossible for anyone but the NSA.

As other reviewers have commented, the rubber cover on the device makes it a little bigger than some other flash drives, so it comes with a short USB extender in case you have problems with it blocking other ports on your computer. The cap can get lost if you misplace it, but it takes some effort to remove the cap so it won't fall of the drive in your pocket or anywhere else. I don't know whether it will stand up to a trip through a washing machine or having a truck roll over it, but it seems to be well built and rugged. In the month I have been using it it has been 100% reliable. I use it on PCs running Windows and Linux and have never had any of them complain about the device or had any trouble accessing my data. I have never seen any messages from my computers about formatting.

I suggest you read the user manual before you buy to get familiar with the some of the operational details so you can decide if this device is secure enough for you. The manual is located here: [...]

Update: I recently discovered that there was a security problem with older units announced in June 2010- apparently it was possible for the PIN to be erased AND leave data exposed on the drive. Checking the Corsair user forums suggests that the bug has been fixed in newer units, though specific date is not provided. The date code is printed on the USB connector- mine says 11309010 which indicates the date of manufacture was 30th week of 2011. If you buy one of these devices, make sure that is has a recent date code, certainly newer than June 2010...

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out, November 3, 2011
C. Keane (Deer Park, WA) - See all my reviews
I decided to use these for my company, to hold authentication credentials for employees to access servers.
Seems like a great idea, except for some reason my one decided one day to wipe the entire contents of the flash drive. There had been no failed authentication attempts and I'm always paranoid to properly eject the drive before physically removing it.

Reformatted OK and it's worked ever since, but I'm having a hard timing trusting it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Died without much use, January 31, 2012
Bought the Padlock 2 in September and by January it had died. Plug it in and nothing. Half of the time I had it in my pocket and the other half it was sitting on my desk and I really didn't use it the last two months so it was surprising when I plugged it in to get a file only to find it's broken.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Loses information continually, July 8, 2012
I bought this drive for transporting data home from work so that I could get reports done at home. Initially I was using this drive as my primary storage. Two months ago I lost everything on the drive. My computers would no longer read the drive and I had to re-format it. I thought that this might have taken care of the problem but just recently my computer again will not read the drive and wants me to re-format it. This drive is useless to me and I will not use it further. DO NOT BUY THIS THUMB DRIVE.....

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 13, 2012 3:26:54 PM PDT
Dear Noah,

We're sorry for the inconvenience, please fill out an RMA request on the Corsair Support page and we'll be more than happy to replace the USB flash drive for you.

Corsair Customer Support

2.0 out of 5 stars Erases data monthly, November 9, 2011
Agnieszka Rogalska (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
The device is great, as long as you don't need it to be reliable. Every month or so, for no good reason, it locks me out. Everything I work on is lost, and it won't take a master password, either. This may happen when I walk away from the computer and the screensaver goes on, but I am not sure. For weeks it will go with no problems, then one day....It demands to be reformatted. The security is useful enough that I keep it. But I can't recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars requires administrator rights, September 2, 2011
Great idea. However it requires administrator rights, which means I can't use it on my PC at work. I can use it fine at home, but even though my work PC recognizes it, it won't allow me to open it or copy files to it, saying I don't have the necessary permission, even though the drive is unlocked (as I said it works fine on my own PC). This means that the drive is useless for any public computer too, like libraries, hotels, businesses, etc, because these are usually set up to deny the public user administrator rights. I emailed customer support and they had no solution, only told me to make sure I enter my PIN correctly (duh). Sad to have to return it.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Just not dependable at all, November 6, 2013
S. Hwang (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
The lock buttons started to have problems registering the pushes just after the 30-day return period was over. You buy something like this in order to carry important data, and at the most inconvenient time, the thumb drive would refuse to unlock!!! Super frustrating!!! The inconsistency was just a deal breaker. HUGE waste of money.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 13, 2013 5:23:11 PM PST
Dear S. Hwang,
We're sorry that you've had a bad experience and would love the chance to make it right.
I would recommend that you please contact our Tech Support team using the following link and they would be happy to replace the unit for you through an RMA.
They can also be reached by phone using the toll free number listed on our contact page: http://www.corsair.com/us/company/contact/
Corsair Customer Support