on February 27, 2014
Style Name: AX860iVerified Purchase
Summary:
Great PSU if it lasted. Less than 60 days of usage, the PSU is now dead with the self-test light being red every time the system is turned on. After going through troubleshooting steps to confirm that the PSU is totally dead, requested a replacement on Corsair site. Received a quick automatic reply to sent the PSU in to Corsair for replacement and that they will send the replacement 2-3 days after they received. Sent in to Corsair for replacement. It is now 14 days after the day the PSU arriving at Corsair (had tracking on it) and no word from RMA department. Had to call to ask for an update and told me that they had no replacement available. Big disappointment for a company well-known not to have replacements in stock plus not notifying customers at all.

Packaging: 5/5
Packaging is great. It's what you expect from a high end PSU. You pay what you get for.

Installation: 5/5
Simple. Modular cables are a blessing.

Features/Performance: 5/5
Every ran well without an hiccups until the day it died. At least the self-test LED light told me it had problems.

Quality: 1/5
Didn't last more than 60 days which is disappointing. I have the AX1200 bought 2-3 years ago and till this day, it is still running. No problems whatsoever.

Customer Support: 2/5
No update after 17 days after submitting a RMA request with Corsair. Had to call Customer Service to ask them what happened and why wasn't a replacement was sent. The customer service rep was able to supply a loaner, a HX1050, but still to go through the trouble of having to install it and remove when (and if) the replacement comes in. Very disappointing.

Update, May, 5 2014:
They agreed to sent me a cheque to refund me the amount I paid for the PSU, however, it has been 3 months now since I submitted a RMA request and I have yet to receive a refund. The reason they come up with is, "in the process of moving warehouse". Totally unacceptable on how Corsair handles their customer.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2013
Style Name: AX760i
Background:
My system went through an upgrade around a year ago and I did not upgrade my PSU because I thought it was working fine. Well for the last year I was having random problems (wonky crossfire, low power USB ports, starting up issues). I figured it had to do with my new components, but after buying the 760i for its efficiency, fully modular capabilities, and quietness I never thought it would fix the rest of my system. Now everything is operating fine, and my problems were related to my old brand X power supply.

Positives:
Completely modular- Most "modular" power supplies still have a few non-modular cords that can be quite annoying when you are trying to rearrange the cables in your case, but this one is completely modular.

Plenty of cables- a lot modular PSUs come with cables that are too short or too few. The cables included with the 760i are plenty long enough and I have quite a few extra for when I add components in the future.

Excellent build quality- the quality of the cables feel top notch, sometimes modular cables can feel pretty cheap. The PSU also has some heft to it.
Quiet/Power efficiency- one of my main positives of this PSU is how quiet and power efficient it is. I have a gaming "htpc" and while it is quite powerful I need it to be as quiet as possible. I am unable to hear the fan over the rest of my case when it kicks on during times of stress. I also leave it on most hours of the day so the power efficiency is very important to me.

Software: Comes with a system monitor, one of the nicest things about this monitor is the ability to see how many watts you are pulling and your efficiency. You can also log just about every aspect of your system from your GFX card temp to the power being drawn by your 3rd hard drive.

Negatives:
None
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2014
Style Name: AX860i
I bought this power supply for a really high components. Spent over $2800 in parts. Hooked up eveything turn on the computer and blow the components. The whole room had smoke. Called corsair and did a damage claim. The guy i spoke to on the phone said it would only take 3 day turn around but after 2 weeks they just got back to me saying that after their testing they found out it was a damaged power supply.
They only want to give me very little money for all the damaged parts. They said it was not replacement value but only depreciation value. I explained to them they are all brand new parts. They said if you buy a brand new car as soon as you drive off the lot you cant sell it for that price. I couldnt believe they would say something like that after their unit damaged my brand new parts. I am still dealing with the damage claim i will update my review after.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2013
Style Name: AX860iVerified Purchase
This power supply is awesome, and the real time feedback on how much draw my components have is invaluable for planning purposes, such as calculating draw for UPS or looking for a flaw in one of your components.
on November 24, 2014
Style Name: AX1500iVerified Purchase
This PSU is undoubtably the best PSU for your PC. Efficiency level of at least 94% even at 100% load. Far as PSU goes, the only other Titanium grade option is mainly for servers, not for PCs. So this PSU from Corsair will be the BEST you can possibly get for your money. You get an abundance of connectors and thank God for the backward capabilities of the connectors. Unlike EVGA Classified PSU, which comes in Generation 1 and 2 where connectors for either generation is not compatible with the other generation, you can use the braided connectors sold by Corsair if you happen to have a set from your AX1200i. So if you're looking to upgrade from AX1200i to AX1500i, you can migrate all the connectors without problems. However, the connectors for all other Corsair PSUs are not compatible. It's also important to note that the connectors are long which indicates this PSU can easily support the current models of supertower PC cases. To give you an idea, I have had no problem using connectors on my CaseLabs STH10 with pedestals, which the PC case is over 4 feet tall. The lengthiest connector had to be the CPU connector and the distance from the PSU to the connector on the motherboard is approximately 3 feet, but the provided connector was long enough to cover the distance.

Compared to AX1200i, this PSU is about 10cm longer, so after installing all connectors you may face some cramped space in your PC case where PSU is located. Based on my experience, Corsair 900D case may run into this cramped space issue when you decide to install both 480mm AND 240mm radiators in the bottom chamber. In fact, you probably won't be able to fit 240mm radiator and this PSU on the same side because I struggled a bit when installing 240mm radiator and this PSU on the STH10 (it was tight, but I was able to get both components squeezed in while minimizing pressures on the connectors). So if I struggled with STH10, then my experience tells me that such an installation is not possible on Corsair 900D because the bottom chamber is smaller for this case when compared to that of STH10. But then again, this shouldn't be too much of a problem for people since the space issue can easily be resolved with smart build design modification. That being said, if you are building a PC anything less than a full ATX, no sli nor crossfire setup, maxed out RAM, extreme CPUs etc., you should probably go with other PSU models because this is clearly an overkill for anything less. My current build includes two R9 295X2. YES, TWO! And those who are aware, that VGA is power hungry. Yet, with this PSU there's still enough headroom. When my PC is on, the fan on the PSU does not even turn on. But the fan does kick in during heavy load, especially when gaming on 4k resolution and both VGAs are being fully utilized. Still, no shortage of power here.

My only problem is not directed at this PSU, but the option it provides. Specifically, the Corsair Link. Corsair really need to fix that God awful device or completely scrap the concept in its entirety. The software for Corsair Link is still unbearable to use and trying to get it to work properly is like pulling teeth. But to cover all basis, this PSU does allow the option to tap the Corsair Link functionality for monitoring power usage purposes. But I doubt most will connect this PSU to the Link especially since an alternative option is available - you can monitor either via Corsair Link or via internal USB which connects directly to your motherboard. I think most users will opt for the latter and the necessary USB connector is included. Strangely, Corsair did not include a Link adapter with this PSU, unlike AX1200i which does include the Link adapter and the connector.
on June 23, 2013
Style Name: AX1200iVerified Purchase
i love this thing to no end !! it supplies plenty of power to my baby and even to my geforce gtx 680 without getting loud even during heavy gaming!! for hours on end.
on July 16, 2013
Style Name: AX860iVerified Purchase
This power supply has plenty of power for any high end graphics card (maybe 2 if you're into that sort of thing). With a single gtx 780 and an overclocked 4770k I've never heard the fan come on at all. The motherboard reports the 12v rail at 12.000v exactly and the 5 v at 5.000 exactly. the 3.3v is almost perfect as well at 3.296v. The included link software is the only slight weakness. It detects my ax860i as an ax760i and it is a bit clunky to work with when used with this power supply and the h100i cpu cooler. Its not cheap and the software isnt perfect, but this is a very solid piece of hardware.
on April 21, 2013
Style Name: AX860iVerified Purchase
Fully modular. Lots of power. Nice black cables. 5-Star packaging. What else could you ask for?

How about a unit that didn't randomly shut down? After all a Power Supply Unit's main job is to supply power. Technically it does do that, just not all the time. There is no consistency with the shut downs. It'll go for a week and then all of sudden shut down three times in one night. It does it as much surfing Amazon as it does playing a graphic intense game, so it's not the load. It'd be bad enough if this happened with a cheap unit, but this thing was expensive.

This is the first computer I built from the ground up. Everything was top notch equipment, except for maybe the motherboard and I thought at first that was the problem because the PSU passed the self-test. So I upgraded to a better motherboard. Everything worked fine for a week and I thought I had solved the problem. Then out of the blue - random shut downs again.

I bought a Thermaltake PSU at BestBuy that was $100 cheaper. That was a two months ago and not one shut down since. After my ordeal I did some more research and found that other people are having the same problem.

It was too late to return it to Amazon by the time I determined without a doubt that it was the PSU. I know I can send it to Corsair for repair or replacement and I'll eventually do that. I just hate to pay shipping to and from for repairs on a brand new top of the line PSU. Seriously, I'd throw it away if it wasn't so expensive.

Also, the Corsair Link software that came with it is not that great. Every time you open it - when you close it - it asks if you want to save the changes. It doesn't matter whether you made any changes or not. You have to press yes or no. It's just annoying. I contacted Corsair and they said that they are aware of it and will fix it with a future update. Also, the software reports some items inaccurate. It told me that one of my hard drives was over 400 degrees. That particular hard drive wasn't even running. I have it there for backups only.

I have other Corsair products that I really like. The C70 Case, 16GB Dominator Platinum RAM, 480GB SSD, (8) 120mm fans.

But the AX860i is a purchase I regret.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2014
Style Name: AX860iVerified Purchase
Three months after I purchased it. The Power supply started going into intermittent shutdown. When I contacted the company they said they would ship me a new supply but I would have to pay the shipping back of the supply. Once they received the supply they would ship me out a new one This is the standard option available to me, since the supply failed out of the warranty period. I told them I didn't have a spare supply to put in the computer. They advised me of their second option which was they wanted me to give them my credit card number; they would charge me the cost of a replacement and would credit me back the cost of the new supply minus shipping once they got back the defective supply. I agreed; but they didn't have any new supplies in stock and said they would advise me when they would ship out the new supply. I asked when they wanted the credit card number; they said that when they had a supply available then they would ask for the number. They never had a replacement available. They did agree to refund 199.00 of the price. When i asked what address to send the supply to they never responded back meanwhile I have a dead supply waiting in my closet which I can probably use as a boat anchor. I had to purchase a new supply only not from corsair. This one works fine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2013
Style Name: AX1200iVerified Purchase
This power supply will turn off the fan when it is not under great load. Absolutely quiet and it came in a wonderful packaging. The best packaging of anything I ever bought!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations