Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 31, 2011
This is a great power supply. I'm abusing it with bitcoin mining 24/7. They throw in a lot of fancy stuff, velvet bag, etc, but cheap out on the 12V sockets on the ATX connector. They're only rated for 6A or so and it's easy to pull more than that.

What this means is that if you put in 3 PCI-e video cards that each draw 75W (through the socket) you will burn the plastic off the ATX connector around those sockets, and then your computer will randomly shut off. I called Corsair to discuss this and they at least said they'd look into it.

If you want to fix it yourself it's not too hard with less than $20 worth of parts from DigiKey. Feel free to comment/contact me if you want the part numbers. It's a a lot cheaper/easier to fix it before you burn the plastic off. (I also have pictures, if you want to see them, I don't think I can link them here. Look up my blog if you want to see.)

I'm still giving it five stars because I know this is really an edge case, but I think it's going to be more common soon. I'll also note I had this happen with a 1kW CoolerMaster PSU. Basically all consumer PSUs use cheap sockets there instead of Molex HCS sockets. Just to give you some idea how silly this is, those sockets cost ~0.50 each (needed: 2) when buying in single-item quantities. It drops to just a few cents apiece when buying in bulk (as Corsair would). How much does a velvet bag cost?
55 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
I have now been using this for about a week and am very impressed. I upgraded from an Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050 Watt Power Supply which was a critically acclaimed unit itself. I love the fact that this power supply is FULLY modular. Whenever you have to replace it you can just undo all the cables from the PSU and leave the cables intact in your case. You then can remove the power supply easily and install the replacement (which of course would be a Corsair too)! Remember, the hardest part about installing or replacing a power supply is organizing the cables in your case. This is very time consuming.

The power supply runs very cool, but I am only using about 25% of its power capacity right now. Unlike other reviewers who base their reviews on performance subjectively, I did test the power supply before I installed using a Coolmax power supply tester. Everything was tight!

While there are other power supplies out there that compete with this (like the newly released Antec HCP 1200 Unit, I chose the Corsair because they have always been about Quality and Performance for the enthusiast from their memory only days. This unit also comes with a 7 year warranty versus 5 for the Antec and other competeing units.

You can also get hold of Corsair by phone if you need to! They do not hide their phone number like other vendors all over the web.

While this power supply is probably overkill for most, if you are a Computer Enthusiast, Overclocker, and/or Multi-GPU Gamer, this is YOUR POWER SUPPLY. Well done Corsair! Superb...........
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I really do love these PSUs. I have another of the "i" series which is king-of-the-hill, but this is the best value. Tremendously stable and efficient. Fan rarely runs. Just remember to re-check your modular connectors are plugged into the appropriate place, as they will fit in the wrong place. Also,check that they have not pulled out after mucking around with your cables!!!
on September 27, 2010
Wow, this power supply is great. It has all modular cables, no guess work on where to plug them in since it is all on one rail, is totally silent, and looks good in a typical black mid-tower case. I haven't heard a peep and I have been able to overclock my Intel i7 processor about 550 mhz and both of my GTX480 video cards with no noticeable noise and no, zero, nada freezes or reboots. So therefore I recommend this as a worry free power supply to buy.
on December 30, 2013
Update(3/16/2014):Made some big upgrades to my PC and noticed the little pin which holds the modular CPU connector to the power supply itself has broken off and gone missing. Not a big deal, but would be nice if it hadn't broken off so early. Also the 6/8 pin PCIe connectors seem to be rather difficult to bend the extra 2 pins away to install on my new GTX770(power connectors directly next to each other).

Pros: It has a 7 year warranty, is fully modular, with completely blacked out cables. Has a Hybrid/Normal switch for the 120mm fan operation though I can't see why people would use anything but hybrid. Silent as far as I can tell, whether the fan is on or off it surely gets no louder than any of my other components(fan facing down in my 600T case). Very highly rated among tech review sites that have the gear to put these things to the test, and it should be with an 80Plus Platinum rating. It comes with a bag including all the cables you could ever need, and even a bag that the power supply itself comes in, a few cable ties, and some screws for mounting. It's rather small compared to my 7 year old 680 watt thermaltake power supply that it replaced, and isn't necessarily more quiet(no louder either)...but that power supply was already quiet even with 2 fans on all the time(90mm I think). It's not all flat cables, some might think of that as a con, but I feel it's a pro(see con's for why).

Cons: The CPU cable made it with enough slack, but I was worried with how short it was. I did have to use the closest modular connector on the power supply and the closest wire management hole(near the power supply) on my case to make sure it had enough slack. I could see the CPU connector having difficulties making it in a good sized full tower case. The flat cables are rather stiff, and the SATA power cable connectors are spaced way too far apart for hard drives. I had to move my hard drives so that there's a blank HDD sled/slot between them, and even then had to bend the cable a fair amount just to get the 2 consecutive connectors to fit into both of my hard drives. This puts stress on both the cables and the connectors that shouldn't be necessary if they had included a SATA power cable with connectors spaced for average HDD cages. I think that it's ridiculous, most HDD cages have hard drives spaced out about the same and there's no reason corsair couldn't make the cables fit like they should. I had no problem like this with my old power supply that had single sleeved cables which allowed my HDD's to sit right next to each other in the HDD cage. It makes me want to modify the cables(probably void the warranty) or get an extender that has better spacing. It would be made even better if a cable had 3 HDD spaced SATA power connectors with a 4th last one far enough to reach the 5.25" bay as most DVD burners or bluray drives use SATA power. As you can see that was probably the biggest con for me, and it may seem little, but it's little things like this that can be obnoxious...especially since it's the 1 component that probably takes the most work to swap out(beyond maybe the motherboard).

Personally I don't know why people praise flat cables for power supplies, they don't look much, if any better than a blacked out single sleeved cable, and definitely aren't quite as easy to route. I actually picked this in part because only the SATA and Molex cables are flat cables.

Cons out of the way, it's still a great power supply, but still not perfect in my eyes. Some might see what I disliked as nit picky(reason for the title) and even I think it is slightly, but sometimes the small things make all the difference in the world.
on May 9, 2014
I chose the Corsair AX760 PSU for my third build and find its' an excellent performer. There is a post in the 2-star rating about a "Coil Whine noise" with this unit. I wrote Corsair Tech Support about this issue, and here's what they wrote back: "The noise is not normal to the unit. It's very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair's test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or using a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things." I have not experienced this abnormal problem, but it makes sense that a highly efficient PSU might depend on having a clean power source coming from the wall plug. I highly recommend the AX760 and give it 5 stars. Corsair's tech response was within 24 hours and they fully answered my question.

My 1 month update: I am so very pleased with this Corsair PSU. It's working great, there's no coil whine issue, and it's been a wonderful addition to my quiet-designed gaming pc. I'm using an Asus GTX 770 GPU and my system has all the clean and quiet power it needs.
on March 30, 2015
First let's talk specifications: I have an AMD FX-8350 overclocked to 4.4GHz with an ASRock 990FX Extreme6 mainboard and two PNY GTX 770 4GB graphics cards in SLI. My system is also watercooled. If you were to evaluate how much wattage this configuration draws, most evaluations will put it in the ballpark of 650W to 700W maximum draw, something an 860W power supply should be able to handle.

The first AX860 unit, the one I bought through Amazon, was RMA'd in November 2014, about two months after purchase. Corsair sent back a full retail packaged replacement unit -- with a cable kit and everything. That power supply lasted another 3 1/2 months before I replaced it.

The concern? The system wasn't remaining stable under any significant load. With the first unit, the system would randomly power down -- not power off, but just power down such that the monitors would go blank but the fans, lights and keyboard and mouse would still be on. The reset button wouldn't work in such a situation. The only option is to hard power off the system with the switch on the back.

With the second unit, the problem was a little more subtle: graphics would freeze, the sound would go all weird, and eventually the system could completely lock up and I'd have to press the reset button to get things working again. It actually got to the point where it wouldn't remain stable under *any* load -- merely browsing the web for a few minutes off a cold boot caused the system to lock up completely. In both instances I had to hook up a spare power supply to run my system -- a Corsair GS800 that had no problem keeping the system stable, meaning the power supply was certainly the problem.

In the interim I also changed out the mainboard -- original was a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 -- due to not liking how it functioned with overclocking enabled. That still could not keep the system stable with this power supply.

I have no idea what happened, but I'm done with it. When one unit goes bad, you blame the unit. When two units go bad, you blame the design, especially when it is the only common denominator in the problems you have. When an 800W power supply can better keep a system stable than an 860W power supply, there's a problem with the power supply, especially when it cannot keep the system stable under the kind of load every online evaluation says it should be able to sustain.

I replaced it with a unit from a different brand -- only been running that new unit a few days as of this writing -- so now it's a matter of what to do with the unit I currently have.
on April 8, 2016
BEFORE YOU BUY!! READ THIS - I bought this for $235 in April 2013. It has 4yrs left on warranty. I have to RMA this PSU and Corsair has informed me that since they no longer make it, they are FORCED to upgrade me to the AXI1200 BUT NOT FOR FREE!~~! .No I have to pay $365 for the new PSU meaning I have to come up with $140 just 3yrs into a 7yr warranty. WTH. I am retired from a vendor for a major & very old network component supplier, rhymes with Crisco. I am stunned by this. I called EVGA after talking with Corsair and they informed me that they honor the entire warranty. ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, CRUCIAL, KINGSTON & so on all honor their warranty without any pro-rating. I have 32GB of Corsair ram arriving today and I am returning it. I bought from Corsair 2 GTX 980 brackets + 2 Thick Wall 120mm closed loop coolers for 2 EVGA 980TIs. I cancelled them just now. If Corsair wants to ignore a warranty that was factored into the price, twice the cost of EVGA PSU same 80Gold 1000W that comes with a 7yrs unconditional warranty then I want nothing to do with them. I have bought 14 RM1000s over the past 3yrs for client builds and over 500GB of Corsair Ram. I'm thru with them. You take your chances; I thought you should know.
on April 21, 2016
This PSU is a great design and offered a wide array of modular cables. Performance as been rock solid. It's currently powering a i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, H100i watercooler, 2 GTX 980Tis (SLI), 2 Samsung 850 Pro's SSDs, and a Creative ZxR soundcard. No hiccups and the machine is running 24/7.

For any system builder out there, you'll find the cable lengths very manageable in terms of flexibility and long enough to span across most full-ATX cases. Also, the cables are fully braided, so you won't see the rainbow color spectrum of the different wire colors as they get closer to the plastic connectors. It's a very nice touch that is often overlooked by other manufacturers.

I absolutely have no complaints about this PSU and it's been great. The hybrid fan design is also helpful for those that aren't necessarily solely performance driven and want a more silent computing design.
on August 13, 2012
Have had zero issues, the modular cables are of suffcient length for routing, even on a bottom-mount mid-tower ATX case(NZXT Gamma, in my case). Probably well more power than I need, and Seasonic(the "real" manufacturer of the PSU) power supplies are often times good for slightly over what they're rated for.

For reference, I've ran:
i5-3570k @ 4.5Ghz +0.05v
4x4GB DDR3-2000 30nm Samsungs @ 1.5v
6+ 120MM fans
Antec Kuhler 620
2x 1TB WD blacks
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
2x Sapphire 7970 3GB OCs in Crossfire

This PSU handled gracefully the 2 OC'd 7970s in Crossfire just fine, even under FULL load.