5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, like all other Corsair products.
I got the Corsair PSU in February 2014, after my old PSU died.

It came in pretty good packaging, no problems there.

The PSU came in a carrying bag, and had a little accessory kit with it. It basically contained a ziptie-esque tie, and all of the modular cables, as well as a nice little Corsair sticker for your case.

Installation was a...
Published 6 months ago by Izz

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying fan noise. DO NOT BUY!!!!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:32 Mins
Published on December 16, 2012 by Matt Meola

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying fan noise. DO NOT BUY!!!!, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Corsair Professional Series HX650 ATX/EPS Modular Power Supply (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:32 Mins

You can hear the chirping noise at ~3 seconds in and again at ~27 seconds in my video. The sound is very noticeable even when sitting at my desk, but I filmed right at my computer so you can see the fan. The sound seems to occur when the fan is changing speeds and is definitely worse (ie occurs more consistently) when my room is at certain ambient temperatures. Seems to happen less when it's colder.

My system is dead silent besides the PSU and it's driving me crazy. This is my RMA replacement unit so whatever is causing this is not yet fixed in production. Avoid this PSU like the plague and spend your money on something else. This is not a cheap PSU which just adds to the disappointment.

***UPDATE 1/25/2013***
Corsair will be replacing my unit with an HX750. Support says that this unit does not have the same issue as the HX650.

I'm going to read between the lines a bit based on how quick tech support was to suggest swapping to a HX750, but it sounds like there are known issues with the HX650. Crossing my fingers that the HX750 does not have the same issue, but I am pretty optimistic as amazon reviews for the HX750 do not note this issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great under load, chirps when idle., December 28, 2012
I actually purchased this power supply unit before reading any of the reviews, it was dumb on my part. But it's not a bad power supply, it does exactly what it says it does. From my understand the chirping sound is coming from the gold coiling within the power supply unit. It doesn't make the sound when I'm gaming or when the computer is under heavy load, so it doesn't bother me too much since that's mainly what my computer is under anyways. It's a great unit, however it's not fully modular as stated, it's actual semi-modular, but quite frankly if you aren't an enthusiast, you aren't going to know the difference. I bought this unit for a good price so I'm not complaining.

/Edit 1/3/2013

After about a week after I bought it, it stopped powering my graphics card, the chirping sound also progressively became much louder.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst, December 3, 2012
I went through 2 of these units that I ordered from Amazon, one new, one sent new to replace the old one. They both made the worst fan spin up and spin down sound, very annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Twittering sounds under load, January 25, 2013
The same issues as everyone else. Loud twittering/chirping sounds when using demanding applications. With me it happened within half an hour of gaming, or 3d modelling. Sometimes within minutes. Partly my fault as I didn't read the reviews, I just went on Corsair's brand name, the wattage and the 7 year warranty.

The replacement unit had the same problem only worse. Apart from the twittering sounds under load, when idling the fan made an audible whirring noise above my 3 case fans. It would start up for about 10 seconds every minute or so. I requested Corsair for the older model and they luckily had that in stock and sent it. The bronze (older) model is working fine.

I don't know why Corsair is still selling this. They should just recall this entire line. Just buy the older bronze edition and you'll be fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Gold edition Corsair HX650 has issues,Get Bronze edition instead, January 7, 2013
I am very dissapointed in this power supply I have been a longtime fan of corsair power supplies as they used to be bullet proof and provided very clean power I own a few of the previous generation Corsair HX650's and they have been nothing less than stellar when I heard that corsair rebooted the HX series into a Gold rated power supply I was realy excited and passed one of my older bronze edition HX650's to my brother and bought the new Gold edition HX650 for myself.

Upon opening the package of the new Gold edition hx650 I was immediatly dissapointed to find out that for some reason Corsair only has 2 pcie cables/connections so if your GPU requires both cables you can only run one card with this supply....the old bronze edition had 4 so you could run dual card setups.

My next problem with this power supply is noise when the fan increases and decreases speed the power supply makes an annoying chirping noise which get's louder the longer you use the power supply I returned the first to the store I bought it from and the new one had the same issue....went to the corsair power supply support forum and upon noticing many others having the same problem I then filled out an RMA and was assured I'd get a supply from a good batch after waisting time and money the new RMA supply had the same issue!.

I dug into this a little deeper and found out corsair does not build it's power supplies they swap out between 3-4 different companies to build them for them with seasonic being there top producer which coincidently seasonic made the older Bronze edition HX650 and the even older HX620 which both of those were just awesome they were quiet and way underrated powerwise (ran two gtx 580's with one) but this new gold edition is just garbage...I wish they would go back to seasonic to produce this supply and not channel well.

To be fair here Corsair has one of the best warranties out there and they do back there products as well as offering great customer service Corsairs previous versions of their power supplies are great the previous HX750 and HX850 were actualy already gold rated but were rated conservatively and given the silver rating...the Bronze edition HX650 was actualy silver rated but given bronze...I highly reccomend the previous version's of the HX650 but not the new Gold edition...I have a feeling Corsair will eventualy recall the new HX650's...hopefully they can work out the kinks and get back on top of thing's before the problems get more wide spread.Good Luck

1.0 out of 5 stars Chirp Chirp Squeak, July 15, 2014
This is the noisiest PSU I have ever owned. The bottom fan has started chirping/squeaking when it spins up and down, and when it's not making those noises it is still WAY louder than it should be. I just requested an RMA because it is insanely annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, like all other Corsair products., May 24, 2014
I got the Corsair PSU in February 2014, after my old PSU died.

It came in pretty good packaging, no problems there.

Installation was a breeze, screws went in no problem. The computer booted right up, no power problems at all.

I'm running an i5-4670k CPU and a 670 OC Edition GPU, and 8GB of RAM with power to spare.

I'd recommend this PSU to everyone from first time builders to hobbyists.

My only qualm with this PSU is the CPU cord. It reaches fine, with some slack, but if you want it completely invisible, you're going to need to get a different cord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great power supply, February 19, 2014
Never had a problem with Corsair anything. This power supply meets all of my needs and the modularity is a huge plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chirping? Not mine, January 21, 2014
Not sure why there are so many bad reviews, maybe the past problems have been fixed. I bought this to power my first ground up build and I needed a power supply that would not only power my setup but have the ability to power any upgrades I get in the future as well as having enough power to deal with a higher end GPU and was interested in a modular design, the kicker was the upwards facing fan as this was to be a bottom mounted PSU. Should clarify that it is partially modular. There are cables to connect to your mobo and these cannot be removed but I don't understand the negatives as you need these anyways. The sleeves on these cables are really heavy and that is a relief to someone who is incredible clumsy and known to cut wires accidentally. Came with everything needed and lots of extras, tons of cable ties and power cables to fill every connection.

Have had it running 8+ hours a day in my system and most times the fan does not even need to run. When it does kick on it is almost silent. Quieter than my 3 case fans for sure. Have never heard any chirping or any of the myriad of problems others have reported. With a 5 year warranty if there are any problems I will send it back and edit my review but so far so good.

Edit 3/14: Seems this power supply has a 7 year warranty. Also the negatives are older so more reasons to know that they likely fixed any problems make this a solid performer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality power supply, December 27, 2013
Running this with a high end graphics card in a gaming PC. Doesn't miss a beat and runs cool while providing the power under load. Very quiet fan. You get what you pay for with this PSU.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›