Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-Pin Dual Channel Desktop Memory
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on October 10, 2009
Pros: Appears well made; tailors itself to other memory installed; Corsair website helps to find the right memory for your computer

Cons: Rebate; expensive as compared to 6 mos ago - knocks off one star.
Thoughts: Have an AMD 9750 quad with 4 GB memory in slots #1-2 and wanted to go to 8GB. It is important to install compatible memory in the other slots - i.e. slots #3-4 were empty.

I have 64 bit Vista which can "see" 8GB of memory.

I searched through multiple sites to obtain quality memory and was not happy with the confusing results. I searched the Corsair website and they have a "memory search", where you enter your computer model and they give you matched memory that is guaranteed to work with your computer. Then it was easy to find what I needed. The result was the all my memory ran well and I can use all my 8 GB memory.

I don't mean to confuse those who are less technically inclined - the point is that all memory is not the same and to just stick any DDR2 memory into your computer will guarantee an unhappy end user. It is hard to match up the correct DDR2 memory without knowing a lot of hidden details and for most end users it is easier to just go to the memory manufacturer's website to look up compatible memory.

Overall: Very satisfied.

Technical stuff: AMD 9750 quad with 4 GB memory @ 800 MHz 6-6-6-18 timing, 1.8v in slots #1-2. 64 bit Vista OS which runs all 32 bit software I have thrown at it and can run old 16 bit software and DOS games with DosBox! Only a 64 bit OS can use more than about 3 GB memory. This Corsair 2GB x 2, dual channel, paired memory, with timings of 5-5-5-18,1.8v is faster memory than my original installed memory and I was concerned about the timings. The result was that all my memory runs at 667MHz and a timing 5-5-5-15, so it is very close to the original memory installed but not as fast as it can be. I do not intend to over clock and will not change out the slower memory because of cost concerns.
I got the Corsair when I upgraded my 4GB desktop to Vista 64-bit and not only it worked beautifully but it carried well into the 64-bit Windows 7 software upgrade. Installation was quick and uneventful and the computer recognized the new memory immediately. My computer appears to be performing significantly better post-upgrade. I've never had an issue with Corsair memory - I also used Corsair's DD3 to upgrade my laptop's RAM - and I'm likely to continue to consider their products in the future as they appear to be of good quality and performance.

Before ordering, you should make sure that this is EXACTLY what you need. This is DDR2 (two) memory. While DDR3 transfers at twice the data rate of DDR2, they are physically incompatible with DDR2 slots so you can't use the faster DDR3 memory on a DDR2 motherboard. You should also be aware that the amount of recognized available memory depends on the operating system and the way your computer is configured (BIOS) so you may not be able to use the all the memory in your system until you install a 64-bit OS and/or upgrade your BIOS.

My STRONG suggestion (I got burned myself once): don't make assumptions and hope for the best, verify that your specific machine supports this exact type of memory before you buy. Corsair has a site that can help you determine that and your computer manual should list its specs.

To me, it's an easy 5 stars.

Specs:

- Memory clock @ 200 MHz
- I/O bus clock @ 400 MHz
- Peak transfer rate: 6400 MB/s
- Cycle time: 5 ns
- Limited (what does it mean?) lifetime warranty but there is no warranty statement
- Made in Taiwan

________________________________

Note: at the time I bought mine, Corsair was offering a rebate but I can't remember if there was an expiration date.
on May 12, 2014
My old Core2Duo Quad machine has been serving me reliably for years, and I'm just not ready to put her to the grave just yet. I've already breathed a little more life into her with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC and now decided to upgrade my machine from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB. The specs of these sticks were identical to the outgoing sticks I have in my machine, with the exception of twice the memory. Problem is the price was a little high, at $70 for 4 GB it cost me $140 to upgrade. I could have probably just upgraded to 6 GB but I figured I'd go all out before I make the jump to a new machine.

Getting the RAM I noticed the quality of the Corsair sticks. They have a heatsink like my old sticks, but the design changed a little, since my old sticks were also the XMS2 brand. The heatsink was a little less robust looking, but had some sharp silver stripes going across the top. They were also a little less bulky. They snapped into my motherboard quite nicely, although I didn't snap a stick down securly and it failed to get to POST. Oops. Quickly remedied and my computer booted up quickly. Despite doubling the amount of RAM my machine didn't seem any faster, but that was to be expected with the same 800MHz speed and latency timings of 5-5-5-18. A little overclock may help but I'm not looking to do that now. I did notice a slight boost in some games, especially some RAM heavy games such as some RTS games and Max Payne 3. 4 GB is barely the minimum on most games now and the extra RAM certainly is felt.

+Pros:
+Sturdy, solid build quality.
+Heatsink should improve longevity.
+Speed increased noticed in some games.
+Easy to install.

-Cons:
-Very pricy, especially compared to DDR3 RAM.
-No increase in speed during most regular computer operations.

With DDR2 almost completely dead, I'm not surprised I couldn't find many options for RAM. I probably would have stuck with the Corsair sticks since my old sticks have been nothing but good to me for years, it would have been nice to have some more options. The price was a hit on my wallet, but since I plan on pushing this machine out for about another year, it was worth the investment. Even with some great chipsets out there, such as the i5's and i7's, I just couldn't make the jump with Intel ramping up some 8 core processors and AMD talking 12 cores! If you're on the border like me and want that last little upgrade after a video card, definitly take the hit and go for the larger amount of RAM.
on June 24, 2014
The ONLY reason I took off one star is because after about a year of use, one of these RAM sticks went bad and started causing BSOD. I contacted Corsair and they shipped me a new one right away, and let me return the defective one at my leisure in a prepaid pouch that arrived with the replacement RAM stick. I was very impressed with the customer support, but it's still a hassle to troubleshoot and diagnose a bad ram stick so one star removed.

Since then everything has been great. I haven't tried overclocking this RAM but it's already very fast. I'm using it in an AMD 8-core gaming system and it keeps up with whatever I throw at it. It performs just as well as more expensive RAM. If you're looking for high performance RAM at a good price Corsair has you covered. I would (and have) bought this brand again despite the one stick going bad. It seems to have been an isolated and rare occurrence.
on April 2, 2013
I've had a custom build gaming tower for quite some time and recently the RAM in it went bad. I looked around and was comparing price with quality and I feel like this is a good deal. I ordered 2 sets (8GB) and installed them the second they came in and haven't had a single problem yet. Runs fine no matter what I'm running so far.
on September 12, 2012
I originally purchased 2 sets of matched dual channel memory to take my PC from 4gb RAM to 8gb. I found that after installing the new RAM, that my PC became unstable. So, I tried to isolate if one or more modules could be defective. I did find that one of the modules was causing the problem and I contacted Amazon customer service to get a replacement. The agent was most helpful and agreed to send me one new set of dual channel memory and he shipped it premium service so that I had it in two days. I received the replacement and installed it immediately. I returned the defective module(s) and have been running with the new ones without further incidents. Amazon reacted quickly to remedy the problem to the customers (me) satisfaction. I have always been happy with Amazon support and will continue to purchase product from them.
on October 27, 2012
Works well & speed up my old Dell Optiplex 745 substantially. Keep in mind though Windows XP 32 bit only recognize up to 4 gigs of RAM regardless, so 4 gig is really anyone needs on XP32 bits.

Don't get surprised after installation the computer does not reflect all 4 gigs, some of the memory will be "shared" by video card etc. My only showed 3.24 gigs in "My Computer" but never the less the machine is faster.
on October 31, 2011
EDIT: After a very useful comment by Cherie E Strand and some research on my part. I have learned that the memory is running how it should . It is actually 800mhz but CPU-Z only reports it at 400mhz. In addition I just happen to look at my motherboard user guide and guess what it is listed in the guide as a recommended and compatible ram for my board at 800mhz. I have a M4N82 DELUXE MOTHERBOARD. I also change my rating from 2 to a 4. I will edit again after a few month of use to make sure it holds up as I believe it will.

I recommend this product because of its value and performance. It is working great so far!
on November 24, 2012
I ordered two pair of Corsair modules with each pair supplying a total of 4 GB. These packages had been opened. Of the four modules two did not work properly. One was not detectable and the other failed memory test. I got a return shipper for the two failed modules, sent them back and then received a replacement pair. Finally I got all four modules working for a total of 8 GB of RAM on my system. They have been working for about 3 months with no problems.
on May 16, 2016
Worked well from January through April then crapped out. Got blue screen of death with clfs.sys error. Removed new memory and left old cards in place and was able to boot. Now the warranty shuffle begins.....