4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed but still wonderful, October 24, 2005
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
I remember the first time I heard the song "Geronimo's Cadillac", it was on a jukebox in a Shakey's Pizza Parlor with my buddy from Amarillo, TX in 1973. He chose the song and I was hooked by the second verse. Even at the tender age of 18 and drunk on free beer and youthful naivete (sp?), I knew I was experiencing something special.

Oddly enough (funny how life works)I heard the song Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir playing on the radio the next day. Michael Murphey had never come close to my radar screen 48 hours earlier, but now I couldn't get to the record store (it was still "records" then) fast enough and spend that months beer money on his first two albums.

I just got these two CD's in the mail from Amazon today and was mixed with joy and melencholy when I found that several great tunes were left off this remastered copy of Souvenir, in particular a favorite of mine, "Southwestern Pilgrimage" is not here. But, this was somewhat compensated by the fact that five tracks of early live recordings of some of Murphey's best stuff has been added, and these are are truely diamonds in the rough.

It's like an old, dear friend has returned after a long absense.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Austin Years, November 14, 2006
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
This and Geronimo's Cadillac are very fine examples of what was happening in Austin, TX during the early seventies. Murphey eventually moved on to a slicker sound, but these two are down-to-earth jewels.

The sticker on the covers say they were culled from the original master tapes, but I highly doubt that. These discs lack the qualities that are evidence of such a claim - but that won't be a problem for the average buyer - just for the audiophile who buys every disc with the highest of hopes.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty doggone good album from da cat who brought u "Wildfire", September 7, 2012
Dee Dee Tee "big azz rabo" (Hialeah-La Ciudad del Fo-king Progreso Asere!!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
Think Andrew Gold meets America with a little Harvest era Neil Young. This is my first foray into MMM's music besides Wildfire. Nice album with an early seventies singer-songwriter laid back country rock vibe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, May 23, 2012
Bach (Greenlands, QUEENSLAND Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
His best song/performance is here "South Canadian River Song". In other ways this was a bit disappointing after Geronimo's Cadillac. Stuff like Prometheus Busted sound pretentious and dated, but there is still a wealth of great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir CD, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this album when it first came out, but over the years I lost the vinyl version - I was quick to order this when I found that it was available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir, February 20, 2006
This review is from: Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir (Audio CD)
I was glad to find this on CD. I had it on cassette when it was originaly released. I have enjoyed it very much.

Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir
Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir by Michael Martin Murphey (Audio CD - 2004)