5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Work
Excellent marriage of good information with beautiful computer graphics work. This series dives deeper into cosmological theory than its contemporaries, giving it an extra "cosmic" bend. I think you'll enjoy :)
Published 19 months ago by John

3.0 out of 5 stars cosmology goes all the way back to
Well, I guess I'll cut them some slack and finish watching the first episode. My trust was shaken when he stated that "cosmology goes all the way back to the ancient Greeks" while showing a tapestry of ancient buddhism, and not a mention of Babylon or Alexandria...
Published 8 months ago by Rose lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Work, May 25, 2013
John "bsharp" (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent series that gives a good overview of this diverse subject., August 21, 2013
The wealth of information and diversity of the 16 individual episodes give a fantastic general overview of what we know about the universe and where cosmology is today and easily rivals anything else I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational/mind opening series!, July 31, 2013
This series is very educational and mind opening, similar to the Discovery series "How the Universe Works". However, unlike that series "Cosmic Journeys" is, in my opinion, a little more educational, despite having only 30 minute episodes. Definitely one of my favorite Amazon Prime choices and recommended for any Prime users who are into documentaries or astronomy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pop-sci TV; enjoyed the whole season & would recommend..., December 28, 2013
Mahk (East Bay of Rhode Island) - See all my reviews
[Disclaimer: This is written from the perspective of someone with literally 'nil-to-none' formal science/astronomy/cosmology/etc training whatsoever... But for whom, since grade-school, has been utterly fascinated and taken by this kind of stuff - and has consumed all manner of 'pop-sci' media in multiple genres and disciplines over the years...]

The material covered in this series is a fair amount more 'technical' than, say, a typical Discovery-Channel type production. (Personally, I vastly prefer the 'need-to-listen-and-think' quotient with this kind of media, and I found this series very refreshing in that way.)
Mass-media-wise: The series contains some well-researched stock footage, some nicely directed/edited interview segments, and offers up lots of healthy servings of surprisingly high-quality CGI/digital 'eye-candy' animations...
Overall, it may be not as slick, or 'tight' as, say, a typical 'NOVA' science-category release - but it generally maintains solidly high production-values.
Importantly - obviously - it seems to be very up-to-date science.
It flows in a mostly engagingly well-written manner that's still layperson-friendly - and happily, without any of the all-too-common condescendingly lowest-common-denominator schlock that's out there.

I would definitely try to see any other science documentaries produced by Janson Media.

I find - in a benignly ironic way - much of the music score more entertainingly goofy than other reviewers have mentioned here...

Frankly, I feel the actual narration (credited to Dick Rodstein) is both equal parts hilarious and brilliant!..
Oh man, I dunno. It's somewhere between if:
Charlton Heston (if his Moses had a brain that actually understood the scripted words) meets:
A more subdued-and-anonymous Alec Baldwin, meets:
Will Lyman's (of Frontline, NOVA, etc.) fictional Canadian cousin, who had recently retired from the RCMP...
Anyway, Mr. Rodstein is just great. I feel somehow like I'd get in trouble if I got caught dozing off while he was speaking...

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a smarter astronomy doc? This is for you!, October 22, 2013
Ivan (SPRINGFIELD, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
Are you tired of being talked down to in typical Discovery Channel fashion? Tired of vapid speakers who drone on and on, without any real "meat" to the discussion? This is the documentary for you.

Hard science, new facts, and great special effects.

I'm watching the series right now for the second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and up to date., August 29, 2013
great rendition of space! Appreciate the detail scientific research associated with the pictorial and dramatic presentations that can only be described as the best. It would be hard to improve on this but look forward to updates in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a "let down"..., November 6, 2013
The Programs in this series, and those related to it/them (NOVA, How the Universe Works, The Universe, et.al) are excellent storehouses of information for those such as myself who are constantly seeking to increase our perceptions of who and what we are in the "grand scheme" of things! For "Amazon Prime" members, Amazon can't add enough of these sorts of programs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., October 27, 2013
Proof that science doesn't need the overdramatic voice and music score that hollywood attaches to many science documentaries. This series is so enjoyable and fascinating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Though not Sagan-esque, the script and narration are reasonably good., November 15, 2013
Rachael Neumiller (The beautiful Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
We enjoyed it. Though not Sagan-esque, the script and narration are reasonably good, unlike many of the overly dramatic science documentaries being released lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Up to date cosmology., September 12, 2013
Pros: CJ provides the most up to date cosmology information I've seen among all similar documentaries. Compelling graphics and visuals.

Con: The narrator's voice is a little bland. The first time you watch an episode you may notice this, but the information and visuals make up for this deficiency. On the other hand, I tend to watch shows I like of any kind over and over again -- and the upside for CJ is the narrator's voice helps me fall asleep whenever I'm having trouble to do so. Yea, that sounds like a negative, but seriously, it works. : )