Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cosmic Tarot Deck (78 Tarot Cards/Cs78)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Cards|Change

VINE VOICEon December 10, 2003
I've tried many decks before picking up my first set of these cards. I use them so often I'm purchasing my third deck! I had a lot of trouble understanding the meaning behind the tarot cards until I picked up Cosmic Tarot. Everything suddenly became clear. The pictures are nice to look at and not confusing. They symbolism is clear and helpful. The court cards make more sense than any other deck out there. I highly recommend this deck for anyone.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 1999
I've been using the Cosmic deck for about five years and I love them! I found the deck in a catalog, on a whim I bought it and has been love ever since! The deck is both magical, intense, intimidating, colorful, beautifully drawn and yet simple (for me that is). I love some the pictures of the characters bec. I compare them to real life people. For example, the Prince of Pentacles looks like Charles Bronson (even though he doesn't exhibit those characteristics), the 4 of Wands looks like Deanna Troi from Star Trek. I must warn you that the deck isn't for everyone (what deck is?), but for me it's very intense, which is why I love it. I look at the pictures and can see so much! When I have done readings I have received so many compliments over how beautiful and different this deck is. I have used the Rider deck and never felt the bond I feel w/this deck. I have to tell you, if you do buy this deck, YOU MUST BUY THE ACCOMPANYING BOOK! There are pictures and meanings that do not correspond to "regular" tarot cards, but then again, every deck is different. This is the only deck for me! I call them my "buddies!"
on July 2, 1998
German artist Norbert Loesche has produced a set of creative and highly evocative images for this deck, which follows the same interpretative framework as the Crowley's Thoth deck. Although the images draw from several eras and cultures (some figures are patterned on modern icons, such as movie stars), they hold together in a kind of turn-of-the-century continental ambience. The faces on the cards show more personality than in just about any other deck. In addition, the artist has an excellent appreciation of the relation of Tarot to qabalah and astrology, so the deck is not superficial in the least.
The book (by Jean Huets) reflects some careful study by the author of this particular deck, and is highly recommended, as the "common" Rider-Waite interpretations do not always fit well.
This is an excellent first deck, because the artwork makes the ideas so accessible. It will also be rewarding to the serious Tarot student and reader, particular if your interest is in inward, spiritual work (the deck has a rather introspective focus, sometimes challenging or disturbing). It may be less suitable for reading for querents who expect an antique style and a fortune-telling slant.
on September 2, 2005
The deck is beautiful indeed, and it is very accurate for me. When you buy it, consider the fact that the deck is more Thoth based, than Raider-Waite. So if all your books are for RWS, you, probably, want to buy a special book for this deck.

Anyway, I never did, and still can read with the deck, and enjoy it.
on August 20, 2005
Hands down my favorite Tarot deck. The images are rich with symbolism that anyone can understand, and that's important when you're a novice reader.

The cards do have a 1930's or 1940's Hollywood feel to them; the images are supposed to portray specific actors and actresses from that era, but I personally don't notice these resemblances when I'm doing a reading. I think the artist just happened to hit on the right face for each of the various cards. What is noticeable is how the blue, black, and white colors and the shading effects used in the art seem to deepen and enhance certain symbolic elements of each card.

I didn't think the companion book was particularly helpful; but since the deck almost reads itself to you, a book may not be necessary for everyone. I would alternately recommend Laura Clarson's book on this deck instead.
on April 14, 2003
I've had the cosmic tarot for about 9 years. It was my second deck after my "training" deck with the Ryder-Waite deck. Many of the images are very bold, vivid and at times intense, but the colors are wonderful. One of my favorite cards is the Sun which is the spitting image of my best friend's niece when she was younger. There are many images that look like famous people, whether intentional or not, it does gives it a modern look. The accompanying book is ok, I would recommend "The Cosmic Tarot: Signposts Along the Path" by Laura Clarson. I think she gives a more accurate description of the cards and what everyday events you can relate them to. If you get them, you won't be disappointed!
on February 18, 1999
This is a very beautiful deck by the German artist Norbert Losche. The people appear to be alive with expression, their thoughts captured; they intuitively convey the meanings of each card. The modern symbolism adds familiarity and accesibility to the reader. These archetyple images open up a vast reservoir of intuitive knowledge. The Minor Arcana cards are equally as inspiring as the Major Arcana thus the continuity is preserved. I have literally done hundreds of readings with this deck and I'll always use it and recommend it to those who are looking for new cards such as yourself. Very well worth the money!
James A. Hamilton
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2001
Preferences for Tarot decks are very subjective, so I don't know exactly what to say to encourage this one. I will say that I like the Rider-Waite deck, but wanted something a bit more creative without being too crazy. This deck is that--creative, but not crazy. Some say that the characters are certain people like Tom Cruise, etc. I didn't recognize anyone and have avoided reading anything that tells me which cards are "supposed" to be whom. It's speculation, and I doubt it is true. The cards are rich in symbolism, exquisitely drawn, and very thought provoking. You may go through a lot of decks before you find "your" deck. Looking at this one would not be a waste of time. I have seen A LOT of cards and spent A LOT of money. This deck is unique, grounded in reality, but definitely metaphysical. The pictures make sense. I had never grasped a meaning before without looking at a book...
on August 6, 2011
FX Schmid 1988 version printed in West Germany (English Edition). The first printing was in 1986. I saw these in a shop about 22 yrs ago (probably between 1989 and early 1990). I had to have them. I had never owned my own tarot. The images are quite telling (as the Waite decks are). Unlike the Waite decks, these cards really evoke feeling for me. Interpretation is never an issue. This was by design by artist Norbert Losche.

I have looked at hundreds of decks and not found one I liked more. They speak to me in a way I can not explain. I am still hunting for another deack to mix things up. I can not find another that speaks to me the same. Not even close.

I do admit to buying the Housewives Tarot for fun as the images are extremely humorous. I will probably never read with them though.

Back to Cosmic Torot: An instruction booklet of approx 34 pages came inside the beautiful box. The images on the cards are all as beautiful as the 2 cards depicted on the outside of it.

It continues to be published by AGMuller but is also distributed by US Games in boxes showing their copyright. I understand some versions were printed in Belgium. I do not know all locations of printing, just that mine is the original from West Germany (as printed on my box along with the date of 1988 and English Edition)

The pattern on the backs do not have a direction. This is great because then it doesn't give away if a card is in reverse.
Some of the cards do have mild resemblance to old movie stars. One card has a face similar to Garbo, another Sean Connery, etc. This is not distracting from reading this deck. Everyone I have read for (I only do so for free) has loved the cards. They are not the slightest bit disappointed they are not more traditional. I believe it is that the symbolism is still very strong on these cards. This also makes it a great choice for all levels of tarot readers. I have never had an inaccurate reading with them. I am sure the newer printings are every bit as lovely as mine. These are a must have if the art (you can see pictures on the internet) speaks to you.
on August 18, 2005
Yet another deck that is great for beginners! This deck was originally published in the late 1980s when many others were beginning to surface. I initially overlooked this deck at the time, yet I was always intrigued with the stunning box that shows the Magician and High Preistess.

The rest of cards depicted inside a equally marvelous. I picked this deck up at an estate sale virtually like new. I really am impressed with it. I get the feel of an old Hollywood movie that sort of takes you through time. The Hermit and Temperance has a distinctive Eastern Indian style that I appreciate. Many Yoga practitioners may relate as well!

The encrypted movie stars within have a subtle effect and most barely recognize them in a reading. Myself, on the other hand feel the faded movie stars assist me in readings.They are like new Pagan gods. I wonder if the artist meant for this to happen?

The colors are very soothing and meditative. The system is based for the most part on the Rider-Waite interpretation with some variants. This set is great for beginners who have a witchy background. The pentagram on the backs work very well in this case. Otherwise, one may be frightened by the powerful symbolism.