Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on July 2, 1998
German artist Norbert Loesche has produced a set of creative and highly evocative images for this deck, which follows the same interpretative framework as the Crowley's Thoth deck. Although the images draw from several eras and cultures (some figures are patterned on modern icons, such as movie stars), they hold together in a kind of turn-of-the-century continental ambience. The faces on the cards show more personality than in just about any other deck. In addition, the artist has an excellent appreciation of the relation of Tarot to qabalah and astrology, so the deck is not superficial in the least.
The book (by Jean Huets) reflects some careful study by the author of this particular deck, and is highly recommended, as the "common" Rider-Waite interpretations do not always fit well.
This is an excellent first deck, because the artwork makes the ideas so accessible. It will also be rewarding to the serious Tarot student and reader, particular if your interest is in inward, spiritual work (the deck has a rather introspective focus, sometimes challenging or disturbing). It may be less suitable for reading for querents who expect an antique style and a fortune-telling slant.
0Comment27 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2003
I've had the cosmic tarot for about 9 years. It was my second deck after my "training" deck with the Ryder-Waite deck. Many of the images are very bold, vivid and at times intense, but the colors are wonderful. One of my favorite cards is the Sun which is the spitting image of my best friend's niece when she was younger. There are many images that look like famous people, whether intentional or not, it does gives it a modern look. The accompanying book is ok, I would recommend "The Cosmic Tarot: Signposts Along the Path" by Laura Clarson. I think she gives a more accurate description of the cards and what everyday events you can relate them to. If you get them, you won't be disappointed!
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2001
Preferences for Tarot decks are very subjective, so I don't know exactly what to say to encourage this one. I will say that I like the Rider-Waite deck, but wanted something a bit more creative without being too crazy. This deck is that--creative, but not crazy. Some say that the characters are certain people like Tom Cruise, etc. I didn't recognize anyone and have avoided reading anything that tells me which cards are "supposed" to be whom. It's speculation, and I doubt it is true. The cards are rich in symbolism, exquisitely drawn, and very thought provoking. You may go through a lot of decks before you find "your" deck. Looking at this one would not be a waste of time. I have seen A LOT of cards and spent A LOT of money. This deck is unique, grounded in reality, but definitely metaphysical. The pictures make sense. I had never grasped a meaning before without looking at a book...
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2005
Yet another deck that is great for beginners! This deck was originally published in the late 1980s when many others were beginning to surface. I initially overlooked this deck at the time, yet I was always intrigued with the stunning box that shows the Magician and High Preistess.

The rest of cards depicted inside a equally marvelous. I picked this deck up at an estate sale virtually like new. I really am impressed with it. I get the feel of an old Hollywood movie that sort of takes you through time. The Hermit and Temperance has a distinctive Eastern Indian style that I appreciate. Many Yoga practitioners may relate as well!

The encrypted movie stars within have a subtle effect and most barely recognize them in a reading. Myself, on the other hand feel the faded movie stars assist me in readings.They are like new Pagan gods. I wonder if the artist meant for this to happen?

The colors are very soothing and meditative. The system is based for the most part on the Rider-Waite interpretation with some variants. This set is great for beginners who have a witchy background. The pentagram on the backs work very well in this case. Otherwise, one may be frightened by the powerful symbolism.
on August 31, 2000
I really hunted hard for a deck that had similarities to the Rider-Waite deck but had more bold and beautiful artwork, and was easy to hold (have small hands) I have found this deck to be all those things. The only gripe I have is that he made the Prince and Princess of each suit in place of the Ace and Page of each suit like the Rider Waite does, but at least no other cards were added, just a name change there. I'm glad because some decks completely add in their own (Like the one I have were they changed "The Devil" to be "Materialism") my personal preference was to leave that alone, especially the major arcana. Anyhow, this deck is amazing and it's a fine choice. The artwork is absolutely stunning :)
on February 17, 2013
I love this deck - and am very happy with the detailed descriptions of the cards provided in this book...
on January 8, 2013
Easy to use, is informative, and it is based on one of my more memorable decks of tarot cards.I am pleased with the book.
on July 26, 2013
With pictures like these, what else would you expect? This was in my top ten favorites the first day I saw it based on just the pictures. I'm not an expert, but resulting from the experience I have culled in several years, I do believe the pictures have to be compelling in order to feel the inspiration necessary for a reading. The pictures are not distracting or misleading or trivial (notwithstanding the occasional Hollywood reference e.g. Nine of Pentacles and the Two of Cups); on the other hand, there are no arcane symbols to clutter the colorful simplicity. So in sum, this interpretation of the Tarot is accessible, beautiful, and effective.
on March 14, 2015
An excellent companion for the the Cosmic Tarot by Norbert Lösche. This book is very well written and covers a lot of aspects of each card. Ms. Huets walks the reader through the visual facets of the card and points out meanings in symbolism, then she expounds on the deeper meanings and uses relevant examples to make her point. These paragraphs on the deeper meanings and examples stimulate the mind to really think about the card and how it can apply to the querent. Each card also has a keyword section. I've found Ms. Huet's insights on the Cosmic Tarot deck to be quite valuable and I'm happy to have it in my collection.
on January 8, 2016
This book gives expanded descriptions and definitions for each card. The Cosmic Tarot are a bit different from Rider Waite so the details in this book are very welcome. Of course you can use them just the same as traditional tarot but you gain a bit more from meanings given in the book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse