Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2011 1:05:58 AM PDT
Why do ebooks cost the same as the paper version? I feel it should be a few dollars cheaper, since the cost o production is reduced.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 6:03:39 PM PDT
Debbie J says:
Why is the ebook more costly than the paperback from Amazon? Doesn't seem fair.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 4:47:04 AM PDT
It's typical retail behaviour. Make it cheaper at first and then escalate the price once people have adopted the new technology. The banks did the same thing with ATMs. I will go back to paperbacks as at least they can be passed to others, resold etc.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:26:47 AM PDT
Its a shame that this particular publisher does this, and I wonder why Nora
Roberts isn't putting her two cents in. I have seen other authors fight to make sure that the kindle editions were at reasonable prices. And there are plenty of publishers out there who are still keeping the prices down. I will not buy Nora Roberts books on my kindle anymore and will also buy the paperback edition to share with my friends.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:40:02 AM PDT
R. Hayes says:
I absolutely agree. I refuse to buy any Kindle editions at full cost. That's the bad news. The good news is that I'm discovering several Indie writers that will probably eventually outsell established writers who aren't working to help their fans find a fair price. I won't even buy this in paperback on principle alone. It's possible my library will loan it as an ebook. That's the other go-around that seems to be working for me.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 6:00:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 6:02:53 AM PDT
$9.99 in Kindle format but only $9.60 for the paperback? What's up with that? I know the publisher sets the price, but that's a blatant rip-off. Why does the digital format cost more than a physical copy? That's B.S. I won't be buying it in ebook or paperback frankly because that just really ticks me off.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 6:38:31 AM PDT
Bkrdr50 says:
I am also disappointed in the price increase since buying my first Kindle. I keep buying because of the ability to increase the font size.....my eyes are not so good.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 6:39:05 AM PDT
I'm with all of you. I love Nora Roberts, but I can't even pass the book on so it isn't worth it to pay a higher (or even the same price) for an electronic book.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 7:43:46 AM PDT
ALZEBETA says:
i feel this is a rip off, i am thinking of going to library and also giving them a $4. donation and it helps the library . i am still ahead of this rip off.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 3:20:11 PM PDT
I agree with the other posts... this is a another example of corporate greed. To have a paper back book less expensive than an e-book is outrageous. How stupid do they think we are? I'd buy a lot more books if they'd bring the prices down.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 5:03:16 PM PDT
Fran says:
actually I was glad to see the 9.99 price. thanks Nora, make sure publisher keeps it under $10. as for paperback lower price maybe trying to keep used bookstore in business.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 5:43:21 AM PDT
CynthiaR says:
To have an e-book at the same price, or more than in this case, the printed version is absurdity, imho. I don't mind paying to read them on my kindle but this is just insulting to me. I love Nora Roberts and have many many of her books but sadly, wont be buying this one at that price.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 7:34:36 AM PDT
I am getting irritated that the e-version of books are starting to cost more than the paperback versions. An even bigger issues is paying more for the e-version and having to weed through all the type-o's!! I purchased Dragonriders of Pern and was so disgusted with the misspellings and incorrect wording that I "returned" it. I've not run into it so much with Nora Robert's books but there are others out there where it is just horrible - and now we are having to pay more for it - ridiculous!

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 6:31:12 AM PDT
Judy says:
Are you listening Kindle?????????

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 7:17:44 AM PDT
B. Eberling says:
The publishers set the price of ebooks and no discounting is allowed anymore (hasn't been for a long time now). There are lawsuits out there now about whether agency pricing of ebooks amounts to price fixing by the big publishers, but I don't know if anything will ever come of them.

The publisher sets a list price for the paperback (in this case $16.00) and then sells the book to retailers at a discount of 40-60% off that list price. The retailer can then discount the paperback and sell it for what it wants. I suppose Amazon could decide to not discount the paperback and then those of us who prefer ebooks would seem to be getting a "deal", maybe that would make folks happier.

All you can do is not buy either the digital or paper version (go to the library or get it used) and then tell the publisher and author why, not that it seems to be making much difference so far and they don't seem to pay attention to places like http://lostbooksales.com/ either.

Amazon has two choices. They can sell the ebook for the price the publisher set or not sell the ebook at all. (They did that briefly when agency pricing started and folks complained very vocally about not having access to buy books that were coming out)

Be glad you aren't buying the large print version that's $36.99 ;-)

Personally since my library has the ebook I'll be getting it there.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 6:34:24 PM PDT
Lynne J. says:
Audible has the audio book for less than $10. I'll probably buy it.

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 4:11:05 PM PDT
katrinareads says:
I, too, have been dismayed at the rising costs of purchasing books, whether they be e-books, hardbacks, or paperbacks. However, I have to say that I was distressed at the phraseoelogy that one of those who posted on this thread used. Corporate Greed? Really? When an author is as popular as Nora Roberts is, does anyone take into consideration the amount that the publishing house has to pay her in order to keep her as an author? You can bet she's not writing for pennies! I don't hear anyone here saying that she should take less. Since many more readers have turned to e-readers, the amount of books sold that are actually printed on paper has been reduced substantially. It seems only common sense to me that the publisher has to sell a certain amount of books to break even, after all, they have to pay the author, the publicist, the printer, and the list goes on and on. What if they don't sell enough of the printed version of the book to recover costs? Would we then lose talents like Ms.Roberts because the publisher would not be able to afford them? And before anyone accuses me of being a tool of someone in the industry, let me make it clear I have no affiliation at all with ANY Publisher or writer.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 3:15:37 PM PST
Katrina, it has long been acknowledged that the overhead costs of e-books are next to nothing--they need formatting, and that's about it. Any price the publisher charges is pure profit. Agency pricing came about because the publishers are afraid of e-books the same way that the movie industry was afraid of videotapes and Blockbuster. We all know how that turned out. Did everyone stop going to the movies? No, it just added to their profits. Will everyone stop reading books? Of course not. Nora Roberts' publishing company can well afford to keep her.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 6:16:12 AM PST
I too am disgusted with this practice... Took a look yesterday and several of Nora's books in Kindle are now over twice the price of print. That to me is highway robbery. I refuse to pay that even though I love my Kindle. I have emailed Nora Roberts... through her website. I encourage others to do the same. I am disgusted with Amazon and the publishers doing this. It's too bad I live in a French speaking community where English books are not available from the library :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Next Always: Book One of the Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy
The Next Always: Book One of the Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy by Nora Roberts
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,308)