VINE VOICEon February 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have to say that I was more than a little impressed when I received this set. My expectation was about in line with what any reasonable person would expect from a photography-related item priced in the low $100 range. That is to say, cheap and unreliable.

Well, I can't tell you how happy I am to be wrong in this case.

My first thought was that the muslin would end up being some cheap cotton bedsheet material to save on cost. This isn't true -- both of them are quality items, just as good as the other two muslin backdrops that I purchased separately. They also each come in their own protective bag with a velcro clasp, good for keeping them clean during transport.

The stands are thick and sturdy, and the legs are braced against the center pole when extended, ensuring that a) they won't collapse, and b) at any given point of extension, the legs are all equidistant from center. So the stands will always be level assuming a level ground. The feet are rubber to protect the floor and help to keep the stand from moving around.

The carrying bag is nice too. It's a sturdy nylon on the outside, and soft on the inside for protection. Each of the four crossbar pieces get their own elastic holder loops which keep them from getting banged around inside the bag. The two stands each get their own deep pockets as well. Really impressive all around.

You really can't go wrong with this item, considering the low price. If you're looking to get started with some basic studio equipment, or you need something portable like I do, this is an excellent bang-for-the-buck option.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2009
Verified Purchase
The product shipped super fast and arrived packed perfectly! The stand goes up in a sinch and is super easy to use!! The bag is super sturdy and also good quality! Great deal for the price! The muslin was perfect as well. I was able to put everything up and take it down in 30 minutes, by my self! Amazing! Even came with an instruction book, which a lot of equipment I have purchased on here hasn't. Super pleased with the whole purchase!

Only issue I see possibly in the future is that the stands are kind of lightweight, great for carrying, but might tip easy. I bought ankle weights to wrap around the base of the stands and that made them even more sturdy.

Item shipped in less then 12 hours of purchase and I had tracking numbers for both packages emailed to me from the UPS site, not just Amazon.

Overall, super pleased!! Great deal!!
on February 5, 2010
Verified Purchase
Just got mine yesterday and set up today so I really don't have a great review of use out of the studio. But I have used other brands like Manfrotto backdrops from friends and yes if you feel like spending 290 and up for smaller back drop stand be my guest. But for what I do for weddings and on site studio picks this will work great. After setting up the center rod goes together great and for one person it was a breeze setting up(I had it set up in under 10min with out the back drop on). One thing that it doesn't come with is clamps to hold the backdrop cloth but not a big deal cause you can grab some from you local hardware store(not the end of the world). The cloth that comes with is pretty decent quality, cant complain. Just be sure that if you out and about doing a shoot to bring a portable steamer cause this stuff like too wrinkle(yes photo-shop can get all of them out but just by spending a small amount of time steaming you have less time on the computer). Pros: Two 20'x 10' backdrops for the money you cant go wrong, the center rods are very sturdy and a little bow but 12.5' of course you will get a little bow, I like that you can remove one of the rods in the middle to make it a bit narrower so its only about 9' wide, on the stands the handles are not cheep feeling. Cons: Zipper is a bit of a pain on the bag, wish the stands were a bit more heavy. Over all I don't have very many cons yet so from just the little that I have played with it I love it and glad that my wallet isn't crying over a backdrop that is going to come in real handy on shoots.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
This kit is remarkable. You get more than your money's worth. It comes shipped in separate boxes and I'll review the product that same way.

BACKDROP STAND
The build quality of the stand is very solid. It can handle the weight of the heaviest muslins. It's also extremely easy to put together. It came with instructions but I didn't need them... and no I've never put one of these together before. The crossbar is made of four 3' pieces which can be combined to create either a 6', 9' or 12' crossbar. It would be great to get one piece that you could telescope for a bit more flexibility but I think this model gives the unit more strength to support heavier muslins. The storage bag for the stand is VERY good quality. The zipper is a bit peculiar as there are parts where two zippers come together but it's not perfect. You may want to be careful if you're traveling in the rain as this leaves a bit of an opening at the ends.

10' X 20' BLACK & WHITE MUSLINS
These muslins are enormous. The only thing is you can kinda see through the muslins at certain angles. That's the only reason I didn't give this 5 stars. The cloth could have been a bit thicker. They did come packed very well with a storage bag each for both white and black backdrops. You will have to iron out the wrinkles but I'd assume any shipped muslin would have that same issue. The muslin storage bags aren't amazing quality, but they definitely do the job. FYI, the muslin cloths are not stored in the backdrop stand bag (they are too big).

All in all, I highly recommend this item. In the past, I've ordered some studio items that I was very disappointed in the quality. That is not the case here. It's very well made and it's all you'll need.
on May 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
I'm a professional photographer building an in-home studio. I bought this product to use in home and to travel with. The frame is extremely easy to set up, light weight, and sturdy. The muslin, however, is fairly thin. I had to use a large piece of black fleece behind the backdrop to assure that absolutely NO light was getting behind the backdrop, and even then I didn't get pure black in all of my images. With the help of photoshop, the pictures turned out great, but I will have to purchase another, thicker black muslin or always use 2 layers when using this backdrop. I would reccommend the frame to anyone, but don't rely on the muslin as your only backdrop - if you can find better quality (even if it costs a bit more), get it.
on November 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
This is an excellent entry-level backdrop kit. If you are thinking of getting a backdrop kit for taking portraits, this is an excellent buy.
The only thing that feels flimsy are the two carrying bags for the muslins.
But you should not store your muslins in them anyway because you will end up with a pattern of 14" x 16" rectangular creases on
the whole thing. It is better to either hang them permanently from the crossbar if you studio is in one place. Or if you take
this kit on location, you can store the muslins as big balls in a clean garbage bag, at least you will end up with random creases
which will look better than a rectangular pattern. If you have the space, buy two (10 feet long x 2 inches diameter) PVC pipes
and roll the muslins in them. The creasing will be minimum.
The muslins themselves are not real heavy cotton, but they are of good quality. I found that the white one feels more thin than the
black one. I would compare the thickness of the white as a heavy bed sheet, but this does not mean that the material is sheer or flimsy.
You will not see what is behind the white one once is hanging from the crossbar.
See my photos for more details on this kit. With everything that is included in this kit for $120 and the quality construction for the price,
this is truly a bargain.

26 JAN 2011 UPDATE: Be very careful when putting the crossbars sections together. If you force them, they will lock permanently.
If was rushing during a recent photoshoot, and in a hurry, I forced one section into another. Now I can not take them apart.
The kit is still usable, but I lost the portability factor because the two sections stuck together are to big to carry them in the included bag.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
Initially I bought this unit with the two backdrops based on reviews here on Amazon. I owned the item for approximately a year, and I used it between 8 and 10 times. First gripes started with the bag everything comes in. The stitching came apart near the handles after the second use. It would be much better if at the stress point, it would be double stitched. The bag is still usable despite the stitching being apart. The past 3 times of use has been photographing dogs and cats at the local animal shelter. I use the stands with some white seamless poster paper purchased elsewhere. On one of the stands, there is a rubber piece and a bushing that completely fell off the bottom that won't go back into place - it is no longer "air cushioned" and the two white washer bushings that are attached to the rubber piece have blown apart. The center portion of the stand falls through the bottom. In addition, when assembling and trying to put the cross bars on the stands, I find that the washer and wing nut do not fit appropriately (they never did out of the box).

The reason for my change of heart is because I was contacted by Cheetah Mounts after posting a negative review of the initial product. At that point, it had been over a year since my purchase. The woman I spoke with offered to send me out a replacement free of charge. I was reluctant, but she insisted. UPS delivered the replacement within two days of shipping from their warehouse. That shows that the company cares about their customers and they do provide excellent customer service.

I unpacked the replacement stand and put it together. This time, the cross bar does go into place as it is supposed to and you can get the wing nut to screw onto the top of the stand as appropriate. I hope the replacement will last me a few years and as mentioned, I am very pleased with the customer service.
on November 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
This was better quality than what I figured it would be. Especially at this price range. Fast shipping! I have noticed some light reflections with the black muslin but was an easy fix by putting the white one behind it. It's a good value!
Verified Purchase
The stands are air cushioned and quite sturdy. I love them. The crossbar comes in sections that fit together, and sadly is not adjustable where the width is concerned. The fitted connections for the crossbar are strong and setup easily; it is just like putting together aluminum tubing with preset lengths. It would be hard to find a better bargain where you get 2 air cushioned stands, crossbars, and 2 muslin backdrops. That being said I am quite happy with my value per dollar.
on January 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased this and two muslin backdrops. The stand is sturdy and yet still easy to store when in it's case. Simple to put together. The muslin backdrops could have been a little thicker to prevent light but still great for the price.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations