Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on September 2, 2002
As Depeche Mode approached the height of their popularity, songwriter Martin Gore quietly released his solo EP. With the exception of "Motherless Child," I didn't know that these songs were actually covers until I bothered to read the CD's credits. Gore sings these tracks with enough personality and depth to claim these songs as his own. Productionwise, it doesn't stray very far from the synth-heavy roots of Depeche Mode, but the mood and tone are a bit darker. Those who are looking for the hook-heavy pop of "Strangelove" or "Personal Jesus" will be disappointed here, but this is a pretty good collection that DM fans shouldn't miss.
on January 26, 2000
Martin Gore is an artistic god. This is one of the best excerpts of music that my ears have had the fortune to enjoy. The album is haunting and beautiful throughout; the cold black waters of the river Styx roil in one track (spare instrumentation blended in such a way that the sound complements and contrasts--raw and alive! The music writhes!) and in the next Martin's voice soars like a bird of light. The content is very diverse.
This album is Martin Gore. You must know Depeche Mode if you have arrived at Counterfeit, and if DM's music reaches deep inside of you, then I am confident this will too, b/c in both musics shine the soul of Martin Gore. Gore's interpretations of his favorite songs are so brilliant that I was shocked (and initially disappointed) that he did not write them himself. On second thought however, I realized that he did. There were basic tunes pre-set, but the songs on Counterfeit are Martin's!
If you like Gore's voice, which I think is one of the most fabulous voices (unmatched in sinuous power), you may become addicted to this 25 minute exposition of musical perfection.
The only fault in the album is its brevity!
on March 2, 2003
First off, let me just say that DM has been my very favorite band since I can remember. That said, allow me to further state that although all of their albums are striking in their own way, it cannot be accurately said that they are all equal. Martin Gore, being the chief songwriter and musician in the group, simply has a gift. A remarkable and wonderful gift for putting catchy, engaging, and at the same time, haunting melodies together. Can anyone who has heard the song "Breathe" from the album "Exciter" deny this?? He has a knack for arranging songs that are altogether sad, inspiring, beautiful, and just plain fun. On "Counterfeit," Martin lets this talent shine. I did give this CD only 4 stars because he didn't write the songs, which I'll admit I would have greatly preferred. But, given the songs he chose to cover, it is a stand-out solo effort. Intrigued at the idea of an all-covers album, I took it upon myself to find an original version of all the songs to compare. Now I understand- nobody but the brilliant Martin Gore could have made them sound good!! The arrangements are slower than you typically hear on a DM album, but nonetheless gorgeous, and Martin's vocals are perfectly suited for it. Definitely one of the most under-rated musicians and vocalists in the business, which is very sad, but you will not be disappointed in adding this CD to your collection.
on May 1, 1999
This album is a compilation of great songs from little known artist to the masses. Only Martin Gore had the rare talent to optimize these songs in his own genius way of understanding music and pass the feelings on to listeners. If you are a real Depeche Mode fan - beside People are People etc. - you know the subliminal components of their best tracks and you know Martin's role. It's not a Depeche album anyway but it's as great and brilliant as Martin is. You'll love it!
on December 3, 2005
Gore released this solo project at what I consider to be the height of DM's darkest and most creative period. Hearing Gore's depressed and morbid versions of these songs will give you more than a clue to where DM's darkness came from. Motherless Child is the standout track on this album, but all the rest are also excellent. The only problem is that obviously there aren't many songs on here, so the album is short. I'd liked to have heard more, but it is well worth purchasing because every song is very good. Must have for DM fans of the Music For The Masses/Black Celebration era.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Few writers/performers capture the disparate elements of strength and sensitivity so fluidly as Martin Gore.
This release emerged surreptiously at a time in my life when I needed an electro-fix infused with the most warmth, compassion, and with Martin Gore - that unmistakable sardonic twist.
I had the opporunity of meeting Martin Gore at a latenight club in L.A. a few years back (called Prague.) Am glad to report he is as congenial and gracious as anyone could expect.
Martin Gore was and still is a major influence.
on May 21, 2004
The music on this album is dripping like warm honey into the ocean of love. What more can you say really? I've heard all the orginals and let me tell you Gore is not just overdubbing them but is actually remaking them into his own. For the unceartain future of depeche it's comforting to know that Martin as a solo artist always gonna be around because this kind of music just have to leave a mans soul and cant be botteled up. The album is a killer...
on December 12, 2001
I am a die hard DM fan and have been for 14+ years.
I believe that Martin Gore is a fantastic musician all around. Although he did not write any of the songs on this album, we all know that he is the brain behind DM as far as songwritting and music is concerned. This album is fantastic and shows Martin Gore like we know him from DM. He always performs the slow and dark songs and that is exactly what we get in this album. The songs are dark, sad and just beautiful. Martin has a way of expressing feelings in a way that not many singers and song writters can. "Compulsion" has the fastest beats in this album but still will make you cry. "In a manner of Speaking" is a song that is a definition of perfect in every way and form. Only Martin can put it togather and the performance is just unbelievable. Its a perfect wedding song. The entire album is just perfect and nobody other than Martin G. can put those songs in the format that they are. He is one of the best musicians alive today.
on February 27, 2002
This album is one of the best I have ever heard. I am a die hard fan of DM, and an even bigger fan of Martin Gore himself. He is an absolute genius and I think a rather underrated songwriter. Even though the songs on "Counterfeit E.P." were not written by him, his voice alone conveys the immense emotion he feels and is absolutely breathtaking. My personal favorite is "Motherless Child" partly because it shows his incredible voice range. I love the way he sings and I highly recommend anyone who is a DM fan (or even those who aren't) to add this album to your collection.
on July 20, 2002
This album is reminiscent of the music from Depeche Mode's Music for the Masses. If you like that album, then you will enjoy this album. This solo project by Depeche Mode member Martin Gore is like listening to a regular Depeche Mode album except Martin Gore is singing. This album can easily be added to the Depeche Mode collection considering that the songs performed by Martin are not his own. It is a short and sweet album to listen to for all you Depeche Mode fans out there and especially if you love Martin's beautiful vocals.