Counterfeit? What's with the syringes in the photos? Anyone think this is counterfeit? It doesn't come from the manufacturer like that.
asked by Mike on March 26, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 answers
A
# How can I determine if I have purchased the legitimate products?

The pesticide products are sold in a carton. It is difficult to distinguish counterfeit products from EPA-registered products because they look very much alike. To determine if the product you have purchased is legitimate, check to see if it meets the following criteria. If the product fails any one of these criteria, it most likely is an illegitimate product and should be disposed of properly.

Frontline products

1. The lot number on the retail carton matches the lot number on the applicator package and/or the individual applicators.

2. The instruction leaflet is included. It provides the following information: first-aid statements, including emergency U.S. telephone numbers; precautionary statements for humans and pets; directions for use; and storage and disposal statements.

3. The pesticide is contained in an applicator package, which is child-resistant. The directions for opening the child- resistant applicator package include an illustration that actually looks like the applicator package. The directions include "To remove applicator, use scissors or lift and remove plastic tab to expose foil, then pull down."

4. The legitimate applicator package looks like this; note the notch between the individual applicator packages, which generally are absent on counterfeit products. Text on the package is in English only.

6. Once you open the applicator package, each individual applicator has a label that includes the registrant's name "Merial;" the product name; the EPA registration number (see list above); the net contents in fluid ounces (fl. oz.) (not in metric measure, i.e., ml); percentage (%) of active ingredient(s) (fipronil for Frontline Top Spot products; and fipronil and (S)-methoprene for Frontline Plus products); and the statements "CAUTION," "Keep out of reach of children," and "See full label for additional directions." Text is in English only.
Dora J. Crow answered on April 25, 2010
Comment | 16 of 16 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Make sure you are buying the product from Amazon. The Buy Button will have "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" near it. The syringes are counterfeit versions sold by third-party sellers and not directly from Amazon. If the price of a third-party seller is too good then it's probably a counterfeit.
Slade Logan answered on April 30, 2009
Comment | 13 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Their website does say available only through your vet - but they either have astonishingly bad control over their sales people - because Frontline is available at Costco, multiple local farm supply stores, etc - or they simply prefer not to mention the other ways to get it because they want to keep vets happy.
Amazon Customer answered on June 28, 2009
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Most all products bought from outside a vets office, pet store, or reputable online e-tailer Merial products ARE counterfeit. I used to buy from several different sites, and started getting products from Mexico, Australia and the box and the inside package had orange bars across it, this was another indicator of being counterfeit, they now have stopped using those markers. It is sneakier and harder to tell when the product is counterfeit. I contact e-tailers and ask if products is US manufactured and that is the only company I will purchase my Frontline Plus from, if not buying locally. If you see a price too good to be true, it usually is. ( I know all the product I received from Australia worked just fine, but the product from Mexico, however, did not, and was sent back for refunds~~IT WAS NOT BOUGHT AT AMAZON-and was not ordered FROM Mexico, just had Spanish writing on box) I do not know if what they sell here is legit, but I would probably buy from only AMAZON and not one of the many sellers through AMAZON, to be assured you can send it back! Hope this info helps somebody. :0)
Dora J. Crow answered on April 25, 2010
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Some good info: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/petproduct.htm#counterfeit
A. Frasca answered on March 28, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i bought this from amazon and it is authentic. i checked the lot # and EPA# and all the little details and it is very similar to the ones that the vet sells. Only buy it when it says "ship and sold from amazon.com" do not buy from any other retailer.
G. P. Dinh answered on November 11, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I bought some Frontline Plus from a popular vet supplier site last year, and noticed it wasn't working at all, compared to the stuff we'd been getting from the vet for yrs. Did some snooping around and found that indeed, the product I bought had some of the problematic "markers:" orange striping on the foil, Poisons Information Centre (as opposed to Poison Control Center) with a 131126 phone number, kg weight below a sticker giving the weight in pounds, etc. I don't know that it's "fake" but perhaps (as Troy Alexander writes) not made in the US, and the USDA (or Dept. of Ag) approved stuff is different, and much more effective. I'm not buying it online again, or at least until it's available w/o a prescription in the US.
dragonflyeye answered on April 11, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The pictures showing the syringes have nothing to do with the product Amazon.com is selling. Some vendors sell a single vial intended for a much larger dog with a syringe and instructions on how much to draw up in the syringe for a smaller dog. This way a dose intended for a larger dog can be divided into 3 doses for a smaller dog. This is a grey market technique that may be in violation of the EPA and other laws. Any reputiable seller won't sell Frontline this way. The photos should be removed by Amazon.com
J. Dorsey answered on November 14, 2009
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Here is the skinny on the "Fake" Products. Those w/o an US EPA number are manufactured for use for a different country than the U.S. The most common item in this category is Frontline Plus made for use in Australia. Their "EPA" approves the med, but it is a diluted version of the "real" one. I mistakenly bought one of these trying to save money. . It may kill some fleas, but it didn't work.

In order to ensure you are getting the right stuff, insist that seller give you an epa number or, better yet, ask them to take a pic of it. The EPA number is on the back of the box in the lower portion.

In sum, as long as you buy a US EPA approved product, you are fine.
Troy Alexander answered on July 31, 2010
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think that was just one person that had a bad experience. I can't tell for sure though.
Amazon Customer answered on April 17, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›