Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 13, 2010
Countertop Portable Dishwasher with Digital Controls - White
I received this Koldfront Countertop Dishwasher on Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010 so cannot attest to its durability, at this time. However, I am very impressed with it. I have included pictures with this dishwasher on this page.

Before I purchased this, I did a lot of research on countertop dishwashers. I read Consumer Reports info as well as customer reviews across the internet and on Amazon. When all is said and done, it appears that you either get a good working unit or a lemon, irregardless of the Make (although some are better than others, of course). So, I searched for a unit to fit into my countertop space. I found this unit. (The product info on this page states that it is 18 1/2 high. It is actually 17 1/4" high ---17 1/4" high, 22 1/2" wide, 18 1/2" deep. Not a problem for me as it does fit.) Be sure to check your available space or consider putting dishwasher on rolling cart. On another site, I read very good reviews of this unit. Amazon has the best price that I found.

As per the Seller: Compact Appliance -- 5 stars for prompt delivery and it came in good shape & packed very well.

My Findings:
You will not get a lot of dishes/pans in these countertop units. I cook in the morning & evening. That is 2 loads for me, which would not make 1 full load in a regular dishwasher. This does not bother me. The water use is 10-11 quarts per load. I really cannot hand wash dishes for that. Hopefully the pictures which I have posted will give an adequate idea of how much will fit in the unit. You will need to move things around to learn where your items will fit best. It does have some large holes in the basket for the dishes, etc. This allows for the water to get to the dishes better. With careful juggling, you can get the dishes in. See my picture with the gallon jar which I needed to tilt in order to get it into the unit. To ensure that it would not slip and dip into the nearby "hole," I slightly braced it next to the nearby measuring cup. While it does not completely dry the dishes, just a short while with the door open will finish off the drying cycle. I use the flatware basket in one load (with the flatware) so that I can fit the pots and pans in the next load minus the flatware basket. It has a rack for cups which folds up and away for allowing taller items. I have washed 4 full loads and all has come out sparkling clean. (I did place a rinse basket inside to help with that.) I have read that the tablets work very well in these units. Since those are set for full sized washers, I thought that would be overkill. To each his/her own. The shortest wash is 70 min. The longest is 2 hours and 5 min. While that is a long time, it is not bothersome to me. It is noisy. Once again, not a bother for me. I have run it through all of its cycles except the pre-soak. I am very satisfied with results!

Everything which I needed to get the washer up and running comes with it since I do not have old equipment. There is no window in this unit, which I read is better as some units (not Koldfront) leak around the window. It is rather plain looking but functional.

Be sure to let the program finish its cycle. There are frequent "pauses" (holds?) which may cause you to think it is finished. If there is water in the bottom, it has not completed its program. The enclosed booklet lists the times for each program. Follow those guidelines. The LED stops flashing when the program has completed.

I gave this 4 stars only because I have not had it that long.

Only time will demonstrate the durability or lack of this unit. I will try to remember to update this after a few months and after a year. Good shopping to you!

NOVEMBER 20, 2010 UPDATE:
I have had this dishwasher for 3 months now and am very happy with it! Still doing the job right! At this point, it gets 5 stars! I have nothing new to add to the above. I will try to remember to update this around the 1 year mark.

FEBRUARY 4, 2011 UPDATE:
The dishwasher is 6 months old and I am still very satisfied with it. It's a definite 5 stars for me! I, also, have used it for washing my flower pots. They get really dirty, of course. I do pre-soak them in the sink and lightly wash off loose dirt, etc. If one needs extra scrubbing, I do that before putting them into the dishwasher. I like to use the dishwasher for the extra hot, hot water which my hands cannot stand. It sanitizes/sterilizes the pots for me. Remember that if your pots are plastic, you may get it warped by the hot water if the plastic is not strong enough. I have washed many pots, clay and plastic, and have had only one warp just a little. I also wash the plastic water saucers. I turn the hot water heater down a notch for those. To clean the dishwasher after washing flower pots, I just run a complete cycle with nothing but the extra hot, hot water and the dishwasher soap.

There are some items that I wash in the dishwasher, such as my Canning Lids, that will not stay in the flatware basket while the washing process is going on. I use a new, clean lingerie bag (nylon mesh that can be picked up at many stores, for holding your panyhose, knee his, etc) and put the items in the bag and stretch it out over the top of the load of dishes. Thus there is nothing loose to fall to the bottom of the dishwasher. Everything comes clean and sterile.

UPDATE: JUNE 7, 2012
I still LOVE this countertop dishwasher! It still works great. I still highly recommend it!
77 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
Love it. Unboxed and ready to go in 10 min. Packaging was very thorough and secure.. impressive.
As compared to others I researched / suggestions:

* The outflow hose (dirty water) it attached to the same tubing mechanism as the inflow (clean water) hose. That entire mechanism attaches to the faucet. No separate outflow hose flopping around in the sink as some portable dishwashers have.

* Suggests the option of a plumber installation. You don't need it. I am female and hardest part was lifting it out of the box. Pliers may be needed to unscrew the faucet spout. Depends on the faucet. My faucet has a one arm handle for both hot and cold water. Unscrewed the existing faucet spout with pliers. The washer in the dishwasher mounting had to be removed so that the threads on the faucet fit further into the housing. Minimal dripping. Plumbers tape (not sure exact name) fixed the drip.

* Position tubing over the drain. Less chance of splashing.

* This is sold by Compact Appliances. Check out their website for a video of the appliance. Amazon has the best price.

* Tape. Make sure you remove it all. You can't miss it.. greenish in color. It is also on the filter tray.. in front of the revolving arm. I almost missed it.

* It washed 2 loads back to back on P1 setting - Intense wash. Perfect. No food remants. I want a really hot water wash.. and this is it.

* Jet dry in the rinsing agent compartment on the door - screw cap. You won't use much and worth it. Dishes dry faster - completely dry when removed. No spots. I used a liquid dishwashing detergent.

* Small kitchen and counter space is valuable. Purchased the Seville Classics SHE18321 Stainless Steel Kitchen Workstation and it fits perfectly on the top. I can wheel it to the sink and wheel it back out of the way.

* Noise.. yes there is noise. There is noise with a tv, radio, hair dryer, etc. I read a review for another portable dishwasher and the person returned it because of noise. It's a dishwasher, it's an appliance. Family members have Bosch built in dishwashers that cost over $1000, and you don't hear them. Well, that is not what I'm buying. I am buying convenience and efficiency. Washing machine is louder. Would I run it before going to bed? Definitely.

Bottom line... Read the instructions. Use DISHWASHING detergent. Don't use use dish soap.

If I have a problem.. I will update this review right away. Hope this helps. These were things I considered, but couldn't find the answers. Enjoy.
on April 11, 2011
A little difficult to install, the instructions are not too clear. Took two people about 30 minutes to figure it out and had to refer to internet instructions over the written instructions.

If you are installing to the tap, remember to remove the coupling off the bottom of the cap - may need a wrench to do so. The part with the two hoses and the red button attached the to tap.

Its a quick release, so when you need to use the water from the tap, you just pull down and it releases from the tap.

First time we ran it, water sprayed out because the coupling were not tight enough, but that was an easy fix.

Cleans dishes very well, the cycles are about as long as a traditional full sized dishwasher.

We are using this in our office - inside is roomy and it fits quite a few cups and glasses. We use cold water and have no problems with the soap coming off clean.

Noise level is about the same as a traditional full sized dishwasher. Its very compact and fits well under our kitchen cabinets.
on March 9, 2011
I bought this dishwasher a little less than a month ago and I LOVE IT!! I have not had any problems with it so far. It was easy installation and easy to use everyday. I would definetly recommend this product to someone looking for a coutertop dishwasher.
on July 30, 2011
I got this back in the April. I had never used a dishwasher before and it took me a while to get a good clean out of it. When I started using this at first, nothing was getting clean. Not even fingerprints on the dishes. I always had to pre-clean my dishes, which made this thing nothing more than a dish sanitizer instead of a dishwasher. But then I switched detergents, which made a huge difference. Tonight, I really put it to the test with dishes with stuck on spaghetti sauce and bbq sauce. No pre-cleaning. And I used the intensive cleaning setting. The dishes came out completely clean. Not a trace of food, sauce or fingerprints. The main reason I gave it 4 stars is that 1) I can't see how this thing can fit as many dishes as it says. You'd have to be eating off a set of miniature dishes to do that. And 2)I shouldn't need an intense setting or high performance detergent to wash a fingerprint off a plate.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
UPDATE: Four years now and no problems at all. The faucet/hose stopped leaking. Another tip I forgot to share, which I picked up from another dishwasher's reviews, is to leave the door closed for a while after the cycle ends in order for the dishes to dry without spots. I generally start a load before bed then unload the clean dishes when I get home from work the next day. Also, having plastic dishes in the load reduces the chances of the dishes drying, so if there's plastic and glass mixed instead of just glass, be sure to crack the door to let everything air dry. I also run only hot water when washing because I want really sanitary dishes.

=======

I did a lot of research before purchasing this product and finally decided on this model because it did not have a window and I read enough reviews of models with windows leaking that I decided a window wasn't necessary. I've had my Koldfront counter-top dishwasher for a year and 3 months and I can say I'm very happy with it. The only time it overflowed was my fault - I had put in too much soap. I've since started using Cascade packets and they work perfectly - no soap flowing out of the machine and my dishes come out beautifully clean. Of course, I put the dishes in pretty clean to begin with, without any stuck-on food or anything. But even when I've left a little barbecue sauce on a plate or forgotten to rinse a juice glass out, they've still come out completely clean. I generally use the standard wash setting.

The only complaint I have at this time is that the faucet connector leaks now and didn't at the beginning. However, this could probably be fixed by hands stronger than my own or a pair of pliers.

Yes, the machine is noisy, however that can't be much helped, given that it has no insulation around it. I had very little trouble setting it up - I thought I needed an adapter and went to the hardware store to find one, however, they pointed out to me that I simply needed to remove the faucets original casing and the adapter that comes with the dishwasher would fit on. I had asked my landlord to help with this, but he didn't even realize this so I didn't feel like an entirely silly girl.

I wash a load about every other day. Yes, you have to figure out your own configuration of dishes - they won't fit in the machine like the pictures. However, I am able to get 4 soup bowls, 4 dinner plates and 4 glasses (tall or short) into the machine at once, without any trouble. It does seem that wash cycles are quite long, however, I don't recall how long the wash cycles were with a traditional dishwasher. I usually try to run mine at night or at some time when the noise won't bother me.
review image review image
on January 31, 2012
Althought I like this product, I wish I'd just trolled Craigslist until I found a full-size portable dishwasher. This product works well and comes with all the parts you need to hook it up to your faucet, but it holds a VERY small load of dishes. I made my own detergent that I use in this unit, and it works great! The recipe is 1 cup Borax, 1 cup washing soda (found in the laundry detergent aisle), 1 packet of LEMONADE Kool-Aid, 1/2 cup course salt. Use only 1/4 a cup in the full-size dishwasher, and only 2 Tbsp in this unit. If this totally green mixture leaves a residue, then use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar for a rinse-cycle. Works like a charm!
on February 23, 2011
I've had this washer for 2 months and I love it. I read a review that said it was loud, it's not as loud as i thought it was going to be, sometimes I forget that it's on. Doesn't bother me. It does exactly what I want it to do, which is wash dishes. It was easy to set up and it fits perfectly on my counter-top.
on April 25, 2011
works really well.. i just use the normal wash and everything comes out nice and clean. hose easy to attach and take off faucet. some people complained of it being noisy.. it just sounds like a dishwasher.
on May 25, 2011
This unit is perfect for our family of 4 (takes in easily 4 salad plates, 4 dinner plates if they are not too large and small cups and glasses). Installation was a snap and you don't need to buy anything to make it fit to your sink. It's taller than a microwave (so it's small but not very small), not too noisy and does a perfect job on the dishes when you use the high setting. It is not big enough inside for pots and pans nor is it big enough for large diameter plates and drying takes a while unless you help it by opening the door and allow your dishes to air dry. You have to play with the dish arrangements inside but after a few times you will find the proper placement for everything. The price is right, you are buying it because you can not have a full size dishwasher so I highly recommend it.
ONE YEAR LATER
Machine works great and we run it at least 3 times a day. No room for big plates, pots and pans don't fit but it's a small price to pay for not doing most of the dishes. Liquid detergent is what works best, P1 setting gets everything clean. Highly recommended.