5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical romance at the end of the world
Published on July 18, 2012 by zoomreader

3.0 out of 5 stars Counting Down To Three Stars
Published 18 months ago by William E. Hall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical romance at the end of the world, July 18, 2012
This review is from: Counting Down (An End of the World Love Story) (Kindle Edition)
While not a huge fan of romance novels, I like a good love story intertwined with the action and this book by Lilah Boone has all that in spades. Counting Down starts with the typical modern couple in trouble: emotionally distant Abby and vain, cheating Alex. Alex is easy to dislike, which is why I found it so surprising how much the little creep ended up growing on me by the end. Kyle is a Kansas farmer with a penchant for poetry and terrible nightmares of the apocalypse to come. Along with a nice cast of supporting characters, our protagonists in Counting Down face a daunting future and the author does a nice job of rounding out the characterizations while keeping the tension taut. My only complaints are 1) the ending seemed a little rushed and 2) we didn't get to find out mroe about the other survivors. Hopefully, this talented author will address both my points by writing a sequel, and in a hurry, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, July 16, 2012
Counting Down is an exciting well paced story about a group that comes together during a series of natural disasters. There is just enough supernatural to make it interesting while keeping it realistic. The characters were awesome and the story was great. I loved it and read it straight through. I hope there will be a sequel with these characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Counting Down To Three Stars, April 9, 2013
I've been reading a lot of apocalyptic books lately. Most of them are of the zombie genre that is very popular right now. I like gritty, hard-hitting stories along apocalyptic lines. For an end-of-the-world story I thought this book was very lightweight. I tended to think this was a book more for teenagers or young adults (in the vein of Twilight). Because of this I realize that this book will be very popular with those who like such literature. So, I am in the minority giving this book three stars. I have no criticism of the story flow or grammar or spelling. I think the book is very readable. I was just disappointed that the book didn't flesh out the actual cause of the world apocalypse and focused mainly on the relationship between Abigail and Kyle, who are reincarnated partners and parents from an ancient past. It then veers into a lot of mysticism where a chosen few arise with new super powers to begin rebuilding the world. Not enough grit for me and a little too much foo-foo.

3.0 out of 5 stars TEOTWAWKI meets Harlequin Romance meet superhero powers, August 5, 2012
Well, the science was kind of weird, such as it was. If the world hidden behind the sun (or whatever) breaks up when it gets close, how could it come back whatever-thousands of years later? And if the Yellowstone caldera blows up, there's gonna be a lot more than a couple of inches of ash covering Kansas ... they'll need more than a couple months under ground. And why would they take the dogs, but not a couple of chickens and a rooster?

But, never mind, let it go. Did it keep my attention? Pretty much. Not read-all-night attention, but enough to want to find out what happens next. Though it was pretty predictable. Reanimating dead meat is really creepy though.

--- Spoiler alert --- (yeah, sure it is)
Funny, though, the climax of the book isn't the end of the world, or emerging from the shelter after surviving the end of the world. The climax of this book is literally a climax.

Will I read the sequel? If I notice it, maybe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, July 20, 2012
I haven't read many end of the world type books, but I'm so glad I took a chance on this one. I had a hard time putting it down, it even made me tear up at certain parts! There were some grammatical errors, but not so bad that it affects the story. I would definitely recommend this book to friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 20, 2014
This book was the BEST book I have read in a LONG time. I love to read and usually read everyday. I could not wait to get back to this story when I had to put the book down. I would love to see a sequel. I loved that the the couple Alex and Abby became friends after their break-up. I also loved that Alex, originally a real creep, turns out to be a really nice guy. The relationship between Kyle and Abby is sort of weird at first and I kept wondering what was up with those two. But eventually love prevailed. Just the way I like my romance stories - happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!!, May 23, 2014
An entertaining read that offers the end of the world apocalypse mixed with the supernatural. Although the events in the story are improbable and can contain some gory details, it still keeps the reader's attention. I like that it offers a little history with the past, present, and future in detail. The two main characters (Abby) and (Kyle) are likable and are on an emotional roller coaster in understanding their intense relationship towards each other. The other characters still need building-up in their development.The plot was somewhat weak, but still draws some drama into the mix.

But overall, the book can be read as a stand-alone without ending it with a cliffy. The possible sequel in the next book hopefully will bring everything to light and will show the progress with the rebuilding and recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, May 3, 2014
I rated thus the way I did, because it kept my attention from the very beginning to the very end. I like futuristic stories, and the love story that is intertwined is exciting. Great job Lilah, I can hardly wait for a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS "end of the world" story!!, October 11, 2012
I've been on an apocalyptic kick lately, but this is probably my favorite "end of the world" book of the many I've read so far! Great writing, VERY few typos (that's important to me), interesting characters and a story that left me feeling pretty good at the end, all things considered (no spoilers). Even though I'm a fairly recent fan of apocalyptic zombie tales (thanks to "The Walking Dead"), I was glad to find a book of this genre that didn't include them. It was a refreshing change and I can't wait to read more books by this author. Also, I'd love to know what the future holds for Kyle, Abby and the other survivors, so hope there will be a sequel (hint, hint, Lilah Boone). I was lucky enough to grab this book as a freebie for my Kindle, but would have been happy to pay full price for it. Do yourself a favor and read it. You'll be glad you did!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty good read., July 28, 2012
I really wanted to love this book but it didn't. Quite make it to that level. I am a fan of both romance and end of the world stories.... but I am not a huge fan of mixing in fantasy with those genres. I got turned off when they started to shine like teenage vampires... I would have highly preferred they went through and survived the end of the world as average humans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›