Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

A country Cook's Kitchen is an absolutely fabulous introduction to making many foods at home. At a time when "artisan" is becoming the word of the minute, like organic was and still is, and with the price tag to match, isn't it wonderful to find a book that gives the basics for several types of food making.

The book has chapters on
Baking
Dairy
Preserving
bottling and liqueurs
preserving and potting

within each chapter is a treasure trove of recipes. One of my favorite things about this book is the sensible flow. I make butter, I have buttermilk leftover, she gives a recipe for buttermilk scones. I make the clotted cream to put on my scones, now what? Walker proceeds to give me a recipe for clotted cream fudge, and so on.

The index is very well laid out, making it easy to find and reference recipes. The recipes are clear and concise. Most of the ingredients are easy to find. The pots, pans, utensils, etc aren't some super fancy gizmos I had to run out to buy (darn it! I love an excuse to buy a new Kitchen gadget) but are those found in any decently stocked kitchen.

The recipes are laid out in easy in to read type, starting with ingredients then clear numbered directions. There are pictures for everything, which I love, especially when starting an unfamiliar technique.

There are entire books dedicated to sausage making, cheese making, etc, this is more of an introduction to a wide variety of food making, then if you find one that you really want to pursue you will have the basics down and can go ahead and buy that book on artisan cheeses or sausages.

One of the recipes was for a hot water pie dough. Now, everyone who's ever made pie dough knows one has to use ice water, keep it cold. This one uses lard and hot water! and it works! There are some unique recipes in here, and some basic recipes with a different spin. I really really like this book a lot, and I think anyone buying it and using it will be pleased with the variety and fun of making one's own cheeses, sausages, butter, and clotted cream!
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2013
A lovely book, both as a place to go to imagine the life you'd like to be having, and to try one or two things out for a real-life treat. I was surprised to find a recipe for mostarda in this book - I'd been looking for one for quite a while. Next, the terrine chapter will be getting me busy. I like the equipment section that leads each chapter - it lets me know if I can just begin, or if I have to invest first. A book I'll be turning to for years, as new opportunities arise. Thanks to the authors & photographers!
on August 10, 2012
This book has quite a few recipes that I have not seen anywhere else. I think this will end up being one of my favorites
on April 3, 2015
One of my favorite cookbooks! Very insightful and easy to follow recipes.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2015
great got to guide for made-from-scratch foods
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse