5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give this one 6 stars?
Published on December 16, 2004 by Bluesguitarfan

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
This is a live recording and a very poor one. One of the worse sounding CDs I have - flat, boomy bass, poor highs, if any, etc.

The music is monotone, constant beating on the drums, all tunes sound the same, perhaps one of the reasons is the poor sound quality. If you are familiar with the band, then you know what you are buying. If you like to experiment like...
Published on January 29, 2005 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give this one 6 stars?, December 16, 2004
Bluesguitarfan (Milford, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
Holy Schiznit, this CD kicks tail from start to finish! These fellas "get it". They understand what makes for great Roots-Rock. Heavy on the percussion...heavy on the bass...heavy on the "nasty" fuzzed-out slide guitar of Luther Dickinson. This group grabs onto a funky 4 beat groove, and they don't just play it...they wring it out, and make it touch your soul. At times the sound reminds me of ABB. At other points it reminds me of J. Geils Band. But make no mistake, these guys are no copycats. This is Blues-Rock for the new century. They even blend in a little hip-hop and make it sound good (never thought I'd say that). Best CD I've bought since I don't know when...and I've bought plenty. Buy it today...thank me later!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...well, well, well..., November 17, 2004
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
Well, well, well. This album is what music is all about. The love and energy, the friendship, and southern hospitality make this Hill Country Revue just about the best I've ever heard. I can't stop playing it. I've had it about two weeks now, and I play it at least twice a day. I haven't done that since I was a teenager and only had a couple of albums. This thing just starts out hot. I love the R. L. Burnside dialog with the crowd while the band plays. It's a family community thing. Everybody shares and contributes. This is not like the studio stuff, this is pure magic. I hate rap music. I don't know exactly why, but I hate rap music. Cody Burnside does a couple of tunes with rap lyrics that are just great, I love rap music, if it's Hill Country Revue. I'm just a Yankee from Bean Town, and my family is not very close, so it's great for me to see this collection of friends and family come together as one big extended family. There are so many people on the stage you'd think they'd need traffic cops to figure out whose turn it is do what, but everybody gets a chance to shine and share. Yeah that Po Black Maddie>Skinny Women>Po Black Maddie is pretty hot. The Down in Mississippi with Jim Dickenson is a down and dirty throat rasping raw blues with blistering nasty guitar, but now the album is pure hot. It just keeps building up momentum. Never in All My Days is one of the highpoints of the album-Well, Well, Well. Man that bass is just so hard hitting. If you be a bass fan, you gotta try this. Chris Robinson's vocals on Boomer's Story are fantastic, he just blew me away, and I'm more of an instrumental fan, but his voice, and the back up are kinda like an instrument. It's kinda mythical or mystical, or maybe I'm getting hysterical. Wait `til you hear the washboard on Psychedelic Sex Machine, it's like Hendrix on washboard. I've never heard anything like it, and R. L. in the background giving encouragement. Man what a cut. What a surprise the Rising Star Drum Corps is. These cats just blow me away. They cut loose on the Shimmy She Wobble>Station Blues. When these guys get to Be So Glad, Cody does some rap vocals that comes out great with the hill country rock. It's also a bottom end rhythm fest. Good drums, screeching lead, heart pounding base, and a mix of vocals that makes me feel good. This gives me goose bumps-can't get enough. Snake Drive is just more of the same with a relentless rhythm and great vocals and some more well, well, well. Goin' Home Part Two just keep the momentum going. I feel like these guys are going to take off, but this is where they start winding down to say good-bye. All in all, this is 78 minutes of celebration on one disc. I heard these guys put on some pretty long concerts. I'd love to see a big four disc set like Gov't Mule's A little Help from Our Friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars when you're ready to turn it up..., November 22, 2004
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
I've seen the Allstars three times now and this CD really captures their spirit and their strength - shake yer booty and let it all hang out! A warning though, this is the blues, so if you're looking for straight ahead pop/rock, look elsewhere.

I'd give it a 5, but truthfully not all the tracks are of 5 star quality. Personally, I prefer RL Burside's vocals to any of the band's, so those tracks are my favourites.

If you're in the mood to crank the volume and shake, then this CD will absolutely not disappoint.

Yogi

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album, May 8, 2005
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
Wow. This album is one of my favorite blues albums. I saw the Allstars live with The Black Crowes and that is what turned me onto them. I think they are one of the most brilliant and true blues-based bands out today. I would reccomend this album to anyone who wants to hear great music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap This Thing Is Good, June 28, 2006
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
I wanted to like the North Mississippi Allstars, they seemed to have all the makings of a great band, southern, blues rooted, and future minded, but their Cds just weren't ringing my bell. I had just about given up on them when SIRIUS starting playing cuts from this CD on the Jam_On channel. Since I liked what I was hearing, I decided to give these guys one more chance. Boy am I glad I did!!! This CD lit a fire under me like nothing had done since I first heard Fillmore East.

Similar to Fillmore East, this concert recording captures a band out to bridge the space between the blues of the past with current trends. The first two tunes "Shake 'Em On Down" and "Po Black Maddie>Skinny Woman>Po Black Maddie" take no prisoners and come charging right out of the gate laying down some serious blues that not only kicks some serious butt, but also shake some serious butt also. Once things get going they don't stop either.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Show, October 19, 2004
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
Though I don't have this CD yet, this show was one of the highlights of the Bonnaroo Music Festival this summer. I can't comment on the quality of the recording, but this was an outstanding performance that got everyone dancing in the Tennessee heat. Luther Dickinson is a god on the slide guitar and has a surprisingly strong blues voice considering his young age. Its great to see Luther and his brother Cody, along with the young drummers from Otha Turner's Rising Star Fife & Drum band, breathing new life into traditional American music. Highlights include "Po Black Maddy/Skinny Woman," "Shimmy She Wobble > Station Blues," "Boomer's Story" with Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes on vocals, and of course "Psychedelic Sex Machine," an extended and energetic electric washboard solo by drummer Cody Dickinson. Buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hill Country Blues, December 6, 2005
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
I disagree about the sound quality. This is HILL COUNTRY BLues! It's sounds like that. This is a great example of that music style and it's a joy to listen to. I like kicking back to these guys - feels like a back porch on a summer night. It's earthy and REAL, not some sound studio contrived CD. Unfortunately, today most people are used the the big studio productions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hill Country Revue, March 19, 2010
Kim Murray "YuDanJa" (Hunter Valley, Australia) - See all my reviews
oh I do like this CD.
I have played it frequently, loud and proud, for my pleasure and the neighbourhood pleasure/displeasure. It makes referrence to Baton Rouge (Red Stick), myself and my children (as teens) had the pleasure of a visit to that so lovely a place. Most lovely and welcoming of a people, as I found them all akin and misplaced Aussies. I hope one day to return. Anyway, this CD took me back to the Southern States Blues Concerts (love the music) that as guests had attended, oh the memories this CD gave me (let the good times roll).
thankyou
Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally "Awesome" Modern Electric Blues, Live From The Bonnaroo Music Festival, Tennessee, June, 2004., December 19, 2010
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
This cd is live, long, SUPER OUTSTANDING, Modern Electric Blues, very well recorded, and it includes several more North Mississippi Hill Country Blues Artists, & Some "Big Name", Special Guests, along with the North Mississippi Allstars. It gives you one of those "almost like being there feelings". It's a festival environment, you get to hear Luthern Dickinson, and others make stage announcements, and more. They even talk about "Burnside's Juke Joint" in the North Mississippi Hill Country. This is up around the Oxford, Mississippi region, where "Ole Miss" is located. This live cd features the North Mississippi Allstars, along with the late/great,legendary North Mississippi,Bluesman R.L.Burnside, Jim Dickinson (Luther & Cody's Father), JoJo Hermann (From Widespread Panic), Duwayne Burnside, Rising Star Fire & Drum Band, Cody Burnside, Chris Robinson (Lead singer of the Black Crowes), and Gary Burnside.

This is one totally awesome live blues performance. I've listened to many, and this is definitely one of the best ones I've ever heard. I would definitely, highly recommend this as a "MUST HAVE", for anyone, seriously interested in Southern blues rock. You will not be disappointed in this on for sure. I only regret I didn't get one earlier, but Thank God, I finally have one, and I LOVE IT!!!!
Thanks!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD "HILL COUNRTY" STUFF!, December 18, 2008
This review is from: Hill Country Revue (Audio CD)
THIS CD IS A COMPILATION OF THREE "NORTH MISSISSIPPI,HILL COUNTRY" BLUES BANDS: THE DICKINSONS, THE BURNSIDES, AND OTHO TURNER'S FIFE AND DRUM BAND. I DID LIKE MOST OF THE STUFF, BUT WASN'T TOO IMPRESSED WITH THE MORE "MODERN" VERSIONS OF STANDARD HILL COUNTRY BLUES SONGS PERFORMED BY THE YOUNGER GUYS. I ALSO AM NOT TOO CRAZY ABOUT FIFE AND DRUM MUSIC. IT'S A GOOD CD BUT I'VE HEARD BETTER HILL COUNTRY BLUES. JERSEY SLIM

Hill Country Revue
Hill Country Revue by North Mississippi Allstars (Audio CD - 2004)