Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Couple Skills is written by three established authors in the self-help field. The authors argue that their approach is unique in that it focuses on action and change, thereby requiring the active involvement of the reader. Furthermore, they have designed each chapter of the book to stand alone, thus allowing readers to pick and choose the sections of the book which are most personally applicable.

As a clinical psychologist, I believe that the main strength of this book is its practical approach. Every chapter contains a wealth of helpful case examples, interactive worksheets, and constructive couple exercises. However, as the topic areas addressed become more complicated, so do the interventions, thus demanding an even greater level of participation from the reader. As the authors say in their introduction, this book is designed for couples who are willing to work; there must be a real commitment to engaging fully in the activities suggested in order to derive benefit. Topics addressed include listening, expressing feelings/needs, providing reinforcement, negotiating, problem-solving, coping with anger, and assertiveness techniques.

For couples who share joint motivation to work on their relationship and who are willing to put in both the time and effort required to learn and practice the skills set forth here, this book is likely to be useful and informative. However, those who feel more ambivalent towards their partners and/or are looking for a quick fix are likely to be disappointed in work-intensive approach necessary to obtain benefit from this skills-focused guide. Overall, I rate this book 4 1/2 stars, as it does require a high level of commitment.
on September 14, 2007
This is my favorite couples' therapy book. Not only do I use it constantly when I work with couples, but I've recommended and shared it with my interns and with psychiatric residents who are working with couples for the first time. Practical and down-to-earth, it provides useful examples and exercises for couples, both new and long-term. I highly recommend it.
on February 5, 2009
We love this book! It has saved our relationship! I recommend this to any couple that is going thru a rut. it has excellent communication exercises that can be put into play immediately for lasting results.
on February 11, 2012
This book can really save a marriage, even if read by just one partner. This made me realize my own role in contributing to the problems in our marriage, and gave helpful advice for how to approach potential hot issues in a more productive, caring manner. I can't praise it enough. Much of this may be just basic psychology, but it works! I have bought a few copies to give to friends.
on December 13, 2014
I haven't finished the book. However, reading first chapter already made me feel confident this is a great book.
It helps you realize what your problem is and actually giving you the solution. It is truly teaching you a skill how to be a good partner. Which many people, including myself, is lacking due to upbringing, personally, etc. it's helpful and very practical!
on September 2, 2015
I have read a lot of books on couple skills. I find this one to be helpful in everyday life communication with others and a path to understanding why I do what I do. I think this is far more than a book for couples navigating the ups and downs of a partnership. This book has helped me grow as an individual.
on July 4, 2015
Yes, this book can help you speak in a more, generally speaking, un-emotional, and thereby, help your communication to be less likely to be used as fuel to the fires of conflict. But it is intellectually based and largely ignores deeper emotional content. It's likely to be great for guys, who want women to be less emotional anyway, but leave women a bit lacking in that crucial part of being understood, and having their emotions validated and explored properly. It's very much a you-do-it-yourself, not-my-problem kind of thing.
on November 29, 2014
This book is fabulous for couples at any stage: new trying to make it happen, in it trying to make it work, it' been a while and trying to recover. I have recommended this book to every couple I know as well as every couple's therapist I know. Just like anything, if you do the work it works.
on June 24, 2016
pretty darn good book. provides some amazing insights on how to properly give and receive communications. I had no idea how to comprehend my problems but now I am in so much better shape thanks to this book. Not everything applies to everyone, but the book will have something that will help most people. It gives templates for worksheets to do at home so you can write things out for analysis later on. I read the whole thing in one week and I am going back to commit the advice to memory.
on June 16, 2016
It has some really good advice for relating to your significant other. But, it's also good for relating to yourself. Since many people are harder on themselves then others chances it will make your life better in many ways.