Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: Inquiries - by email|Change

on April 28, 2013
I found this out the hard way. I have a Giant road bike, and my wife has a Schwinn cruiser. The Schwinn has enough room on the dropouts to mount this as expected. But on most newer model road and mountain bikes, you will have to check that you have enough room in the dropouts to actually mount this coupler. In my case, the chain stay and the seat stay tubes come together to form a very small dropout, and so there is not enough room for the big round coupler to mount between the skewer and the dropout.
I was forced to fabricate my own adapter from an angle bracket.
If you are handy and have the tools available you will be able to do this work yourself, otherwise I would recommend finding a different coupler.
What really drives me up a wall here is that after I ran into this issue I began researching online for others who may have had this problem. And I could find forum posts as far back as 2005 of people who have had this same issue. Its been 8 years and still the company has made no effort to alter their design.
I will post pictures of what I did in the Customer images section.
review image review image review image review image
3535 comments| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2010
This part is identical to the hitch couplings that come with the InStep trailers other than it is a gloss black instead of a more matte black finish. One thing not mentioned in the product description is that this incudes not only the coupler and pin (as pictured) but also the special "washer" that mounts behind the hitch to keep it horizontal.

Often a concern or issue with the cheaper trailers is if they will properly mount to more "high end" bikes. The garden variety mass market retailer bikes (i.e. the cheaper ones) usually have a horizontal dropout for the rear axle where the more expensive bikes will have a vertical dropout for the axle. The hitches are designed with mass market retailer bikes (horizontal dropouts) in mind.

These hitches will work on either. With vertical dropouts rather than following the directions provided, you must instead position the tab that sticks off the back of the washer so that it will rest against the bottom of the frame instead of within the dropout as they are designed.

My wife an I each have one of these hitches on our Raleigh Route 4.0 hybrids (that have a vertical dropouts) and they work just fine. The hitches are also completely compatible with "quick release" style hubs.
55 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2012
Beware this coupler does not fit a modern bike frame with smaller drop outs and quick release pins. Major modifications such as cutting and grinding would weaken the overall coupler to the point where I would not trust its integrity enough to tow a trailer with my kids in. Instead I returned the product and swapped the entire hitch assembly on my Schwinn Joyrider trailer to the standard smaller hitch common to other trailer manufacturers. Big disappointment considering the rest of Schwinn's design is well thought through.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2009
I bought this so we could pull our child trailer with both mine or my wive's bike. Takes only a small adjustable wrench to install. The lock pin U-clip is very firm. Best part of this setup is the child trailer will not tip over if you dump your bike.
on April 21, 2016
This did not fit my bike (Giant) and you should be aware that it may not fit yours. This is not the fault of the product so I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to lower my rating based on my experience with the compatibility alone. I tried, and failed, to make this coupler work for my bike by heating, bending, and trying my hand at "blacksmithing" a workaround, as laughable comparison as that might be. One thing I certainly can attest to is the strength of the metal, it will not easily fail you!
on January 8, 2016
This part was so much smaller than I pictured! It fits perfectly (where it's supposed to).
The part is advertised for Instep and Schwinn- our trailer is InStep, but we do not have Schwinn bikes (my husband and I both have TREK bikes), and there was no problem using it.
on March 17, 2016
I purchased this to use for our Schwinn Toddler Trailer on my personal Cruiser and it works beautifully. Installation was a breeze, like the other one. Holds the trailer well and I have zero complaints, so far.
on July 8, 2016
4 stars because expensive for what you get. But super easy to install. My bike has a quick release for the back tire (no bolts), and this worked. The item has little dimples that will perfectly sink into another washer (it comes with it) to help prevent the coupler from rotating. there is also a little notch that comes out that further prevents the coupler from rotating. You will need to find a spot on your frame where the notch can rest into. The manual recommenced a location that is non existent on most bikes. But that is ok, you can simply place the extended notch in the area where your rear axel would normally slide into the frame, the completely preventing the coupler from rotating during a bike ride. I know it may be confusing and it is hard to explain, but bottom line is the coupler works on any bikes and is solid, it will not rotate during a bike ride.
on July 4, 2016
Great little part for a bike trailer, easy to install. I got a Trek Marvin, 29" and fits perfectly, had numerous bike rides with my kids in the trailer, no problems at all. Saved me from buying an expensive trailer, I got a used one that didn't have this part with it and it was just as easy as getting one on Amazon in due time for great weather. Good product, would buy again.
review image review image
on August 2, 2015
Works perfectly :) it was very easy to install and is very secure... we are daily riders and haven't had a problem at all since purchasing, so thank you! Will be purchasing again for our other trailer and bike very soon!