5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Couples can survive money problems!
Published on August 23, 2011 by Mary P Gaul

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty basic stuff
Good advice for those thinking of marrying. Basic principles. Easy read. Nothing too useful or New. A brief summary of several pieces of advice. Unfortunately, most learn the hard way.
Published 18 months ago by Liz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Couples can survive money problems!, August 23, 2011
Couples fight over money - fact, but it doesn't have to be. This book Couples Money can show how couples can work together to get through those tough situations to gain money management skills. This book will give you new perspectives on your relationship with your spouse and your finances. A great read, based on real life people and the practical solutions they implemented to gain control of their finances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couples Money is a brave & honest guidebook., August 29, 2011
This book is a rare and honest story of a real life professional couple and the lessons they have learned after getting clear with themselves and each other about their money beliefs. They write candidly and with a sense of humor the techniques they have used to create a stronger and richer relationship with each other and with money. My husband and I are most grateful they are sharing their struggles and victories with the rest of us. We found two pennies on the ground today and giggled when we heard the clinking sound they made after we dropped them into our own big glass change jar! Amazing...the book is already helping us make our financial shift together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couples Money ~ a refreshing perspective on a tough topic, August 18, 2011
Most people have "head trash" about money. Then you get into a relationship and your significant other has different "head trash" about money. Then the fun and games begin.

So many relationships either end or experience stress because of this. Couples Money helps you to get on the same page which always improves a relationship. As the Feltons say, "Once you know what we know, you will not look at money or each other in the same way."

This book also contains the tools and strategies that Chris and Marlow used to make a complete 180 on their finances and their relationship to money!

This is powerful stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional authors and a good book for couples who want to live in financial harmony., October 16, 2013
This review is from: Couples Money - What Every Couple Should Know About Money and Relationships (Kindle Edition)
As an author of my own personal finance book for I was extremely interested in purchasing this and comparing Marlow and Chris’ thoughts and advices to my own.

I think the book is worth the price and there are a lot of views that I share.

- Each chapter has his and her perspectives. Great idea!
- Used “Basket” methodology to explain different categories of family money.
- Well-grounded psychological analyses and concepts.
- Some exercises were quite useful like, “One place to start is by writing down the image of the person you want to become. Be very detailed and use other successful people as an example.” Honestly, I don’t find useful all the actions steps about different lists.
- “Worrying about what others think or how we look stops us from taking steps toward financial independence.” There’s a meaningful chapter on public status and how we make financially dull decisions just because we obsessed about what others think of us.
- Each chapter ends with several action steps to take.
- I find Chris’s testimony about his transformation very touchy. He said, “Only when I connected emotional reasons to saving money (Marlow’s happiness, our marriage working, time with my kids) was I able to shift and override my ego, my need for approval from others, my need to look good, and my need to be right.”
- Creative chapter on being entrepreneurial and creating additional sources of income.
- Great exercise on listing big financial goals and comparing priorities with your partner. That’s the one I should have used in my marriage.
- Marlow and Chris described the main characteristics of financially harmonious couple at the end of the book.

COULD BE IMPROVED
- I really missed more examples. There were a lot of lists etc., so I would like to see some real lists made for a real life situation.
- The Kindle formatting could have been more reader-friendly as I have encountered a few long paragraphs throughout the book.
- In some chapters, the writing style was dry and I felt drowned in psychology.
- I find it a weird action to call or text a partner about each penny found on the ground. It’s hard to believe that a busy person would do such an action during working hours. Yes, I agree it demonstrates right attitude, but it is not like a small win or something to celebrate. It’s just my opinion, no offense.

CONCLUSION

Leo Ostapiv

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all couples, May 27, 2014
This is a great money management book for all couples as Marlow and Chris share their heartfelt stories and experiences through their own perspectives with efficient action steps to show us the way to live the lives we dream of; all while becoming united as a couple by doing the actions together, being on the same page, working together and not against each other. I love their book so much I cite Couples Money in my book “Not it” An Approach to Life in the finance chapter, plus have listed “Couples Money” in my recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, October 26, 2011
I love this book. It has changed several aspects in my relationship with my fiance Jim. If you ever get the privilege of meeting Chris and Marlow Felton they truly are an amazing couple and have a marriage that most people hope for and want.

After reading this book i was able to easily apply the exercises presented at the end of each chapter, with Jim of course. Jim and I discovered new things about each other that we never even talk about or thought about. I was amazed at how many aspects of money effect my relationship with Jim and visa versa, it opened my eyes to see how my financial life was going to change after Jim and I get married. Which is fine, thanks to Chris and Marlow. I feel so lucky and blessed that their book came out before Jim and I get married. Phew, good timing.

Chris and Marlow incorporate a unique way of utilizing team work within their book and they bring up thoughts and issues that i think most people are or were too afraid to talk about, making it "ok" for other people to talk about these issues with their spouse.
Chris and Marlow explain very well in simple terms the traps and habits couples can have together regarding their money providing great tips and solutions to solve common and unique dilemmas couples have.

I am so grateful for Chris and Marlow and thank you for putting together a book like this it means a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a winner, September 29, 2011
Couples Money is a practical book that all couples should read. The Feltons address the frustration that can exist in marriages when couples aren't on the same page about their finances. I appreciated the authors' transparency, the clear explanations and the practical applications. Having a hers and his perspective was insightful too. I recommended it to my teenage daughter because the principles are good for anyone wanting to be financially free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couples Money organizes your financial future, September 14, 2011
If money issues have stopped you from enjoying the best quality of life, you need to read this book. Chris and Marlow are real people who have taught thousands of people how to get their life in order, get freedom from financial insecurity and start living their passion by getting their financial house in order. Being single doesn't stop me from getting value out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting over money? Financial stress? Get Couples Money., September 13, 2011
I just finished reading Couples Money. I was impressed by the true practicality of this book. It really gets to the core issue that trouble many relationships - honest and transparent communication. Everyone knows couples fight over money. That's like saying couples eat food. However, financial stress for most relationships is only a symptom indicative of deeper underlying beliefs and values that are producing unhealthy results.

What Couples Money offers those seeking financial help is an opportunity to dig deeper into what we believe about ourselves, our partner, and the role money plays in our lives. It's a catalyst that helps us jump start critical communication and openly explore our feelings and belief systems. It's also a relationship tool that helps couples get on the same track and pursue a common goal - a happy and fulfilling life together. The process alone [of transparent communication] will bring as much relief to hurting couples as debt reduction, saving money, and investments will.

If you are fighting over money, if you are under heavy financial stress, if you want relationship help, then I highly recommend Couples Money as your starting point for relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly different twist on a Plaguing Problem in our Country, September 10, 2011
Jon-michael Deshazer (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I will be the first to admit, I love self-help books. However, I have not read a significant number of books relating to personal finances. That being said, with many self-help books, you sometimes get the 'read one, read them all' feel to them. Couple's Money was pleasantly different. It gave a very unique perspective to the battle of married finances. Each chapter is divided into "Her Perspective" and "His Perspective." This format gave me insight into my own relationship and how we develop patterns after many years and how these patterns can cause problems financially for us in the future. I kept seeing myself and problems I have dealt with in my own marriage with both Chris and Marlow's perspectives. It helped me have a longer view and remind me how my small daily decisions can have a lasting impact on my financial future.

The other angle I appreciated was the angle of married finances of an entrepreneur. I have learned over the years that the keys to being successful in life, business, finances can also be applied to the most important human relationship you'll have in life; your marriage. This book further enforces that belief.

In summary, Couples Money is gratefully not to inundated with details to overwhelm readers and isn't doused with mindless filler to reach 100 pages either. The book is poignant, quick and powerful. I strongly recommend this to anyone looking to fix the roots of their financial woes in their marriage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›