Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Couples Money: What Every Couple Should Know about Money and Relationships
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 18, 2011
Most people have "head trash" about money. Then you get into a relationship and your significant other has different "head trash" about money. Then the fun and games begin.

So many relationships either end or experience stress because of this. Couples Money helps you to get on the same page which always improves a relationship. As the Feltons say, "Once you know what we know, you will not look at money or each other in the same way."

This book also contains the tools and strategies that Chris and Marlow used to make a complete 180 on their finances and their relationship to money!

This is powerful stuff!!!
on August 29, 2011
This book is a rare and honest story of a real life professional couple and the lessons they have learned after getting clear with themselves and each other about their money beliefs. They write candidly and with a sense of humor the techniques they have used to create a stronger and richer relationship with each other and with money. My husband and I are most grateful they are sharing their struggles and victories with the rest of us. We found two pennies on the ground today and giggled when we heard the clinking sound they made after we dropped them into our own big glass change jar! Amazing...the book is already helping us make our financial shift together!
on August 23, 2011
Couples fight over money - fact, but it doesn't have to be. This book Couples Money can show how couples can work together to get through those tough situations to gain money management skills. This book will give you new perspectives on your relationship with your spouse and your finances. A great read, based on real life people and the practical solutions they implemented to gain control of their finances.
on October 16, 2013
As an author of my own personal finance book for I was extremely interested in purchasing this and comparing Marlow and Chris’ thoughts and advices to my own.

I think the book is worth the price and there are a lot of views that I share.

- Each chapter has his and her perspectives. Great idea!
- Used “Basket” methodology to explain different categories of family money.
- Well-grounded psychological analyses and concepts.
- Some exercises were quite useful like, “One place to start is by writing down the image of the person you want to become. Be very detailed and use other successful people as an example.” Honestly, I don’t find useful all the actions steps about different lists.
- “Worrying about what others think or how we look stops us from taking steps toward financial independence.” There’s a meaningful chapter on public status and how we make financially dull decisions just because we obsessed about what others think of us.
- Each chapter ends with several action steps to take.
- I find Chris’s testimony about his transformation very touchy. He said, “Only when I connected emotional reasons to saving money (Marlow’s happiness, our marriage working, time with my kids) was I able to shift and override my ego, my need for approval from others, my need to look good, and my need to be right.”
- Creative chapter on being entrepreneurial and creating additional sources of income.
- Great exercise on listing big financial goals and comparing priorities with your partner. That’s the one I should have used in my marriage.
- Marlow and Chris described the main characteristics of financially harmonious couple at the end of the book.

COULD BE IMPROVED
- I really missed more examples. There were a lot of lists etc., so I would like to see some real lists made for a real life situation.
- The Kindle formatting could have been more reader-friendly as I have encountered a few long paragraphs throughout the book.
- In some chapters, the writing style was dry and I felt drowned in psychology.
- I find it a weird action to call or text a partner about each penny found on the ground. It’s hard to believe that a busy person would do such an action during working hours. Yes, I agree it demonstrates right attitude, but it is not like a small win or something to celebrate. It’s just my opinion, no offense.

CONCLUSION
Professional authors and a good book for couples who want to live in financial harmony.

Leo Ostapiv
on October 5, 2013
As a financially independant woman about to dive into marriage, I found this book gave me a lot to think about. It is important to still be able to have fun while saving for the future. I think it is also important to remember though, that not everyone falls into the trap of just throwing away money. While I've seen several of my friends throw money away at Starbucks, at snack machines, and on excessive amounts of alcohol, not everyone who is struggling does that. Some people are just spread too thin. If only making more money were easier! The suggestion to get into an entreprenurial attitude does help, but I felt that they could have shared more of their list than just "write a book". It is hard for someone earning $20,000 a year to imagine people making six figures and still having trouble with money.
on April 3, 2015
Most couples fight or at least have disagreements about money. Great advice and time to talk about finances before getting married could save a lot of marriages. The couple who wrote this book know first hand what it's like to have money differences. So they've shared from their vast experiences as a couple, but also as financial advisers. The story of their life is told from both of their points of view and is interspersed with helpful tips and ways to apply the information.

Each chapter begins with the couple discussing a pitfall or problem they had or one that is common. The chapter ends with questions that couples can use as a jumping off point for further discussion. The chapters are short and manageable. The information, while basic, is something that all couples should know upon entering into marriage. I would recommend this book to any couple just starting out or to the ones who are still struggling with money and aren't on the same page with their spouse.

I received this book free of charge from Goodreads in exchange for my honest review.
on June 29, 2015
This was the first book on money that I have ever read. Most of the tips and tricks were easy to use and applied common sense. I chose to read a book on money that pertained to couples because I am getting married soon, and I figured this book might help me learn how to handle money for myself as well as how to combine my money with another person. This book did give me a really good idea of what the right track is supposed to look like.
This is a great money management book for all couples as Marlow and Chris share their heartfelt stories and experiences through their own perspectives with efficient action steps to show us the way to live the lives we dream of; all while becoming united as a couple by doing the actions together, being on the same page, working together and not against each other. I love their book so much I cite Couples Money in my book “Not it” An Approach to Life in the finance chapter, plus have listed “Couples Money” in my recommendations.
on September 13, 2011
I just finished reading Couples Money. I was impressed by the true practicality of this book. It really gets to the core issue that trouble many relationships - honest and transparent communication. Everyone knows couples fight over money. That's like saying couples eat food. However, financial stress for most relationships is only a symptom indicative of deeper underlying beliefs and values that are producing unhealthy results.

What Couples Money offers those seeking financial help is an opportunity to dig deeper into what we believe about ourselves, our partner, and the role money plays in our lives. It's a catalyst that helps us jump start critical communication and openly explore our feelings and belief systems. It's also a relationship tool that helps couples get on the same track and pursue a common goal - a happy and fulfilling life together. The process alone [of transparent communication] will bring as much relief to hurting couples as debt reduction, saving money, and investments will.

If you are fighting over money, if you are under heavy financial stress, if you want relationship help, then I highly recommend Couples Money as your starting point for relief.
on September 10, 2011
I will be the first to admit, I love self-help books. However, I have not read a significant number of books relating to personal finances. That being said, with many self-help books, you sometimes get the 'read one, read them all' feel to them. Couple's Money was pleasantly different. It gave a very unique perspective to the battle of married finances. Each chapter is divided into "Her Perspective" and "His Perspective." This format gave me insight into my own relationship and how we develop patterns after many years and how these patterns can cause problems financially for us in the future. I kept seeing myself and problems I have dealt with in my own marriage with both Chris and Marlow's perspectives. It helped me have a longer view and remind me how my small daily decisions can have a lasting impact on my financial future.

The other angle I appreciated was the angle of married finances of an entrepreneur. I have learned over the years that the keys to being successful in life, business, finances can also be applied to the most important human relationship you'll have in life; your marriage. This book further enforces that belief.

In summary, Couples Money is gratefully not to inundated with details to overwhelm readers and isn't doused with mindless filler to reach 100 pages either. The book is poignant, quick and powerful. I strongly recommend this to anyone looking to fix the roots of their financial woes in their marriage.