4.0 out of 5 stars Second Place in Review of Three Coupon Books
Published on January 10, 2010 by Coupons4President

3.0 out of 5 stars Books OK, but Website
My wife bought the book. She didn't find anything really new and has used coupons for years. Her biggest complaint is that the website wants you to sign up with other sites for coupons. Best thing to do is get a disposable email address for the sign-ups. You are selling your contact info for the discounts.

Couponing and the book will work. Number one rule is...
Published on March 6, 2010 by Ralph Blough

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Place in Review of Three Coupon Books, January 10, 2010
This review is from: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs (Paperback)
I am a mother of three trying to cope with cutbacks in our family income. I got wind of couponing from some of my friends and after browsing many coupon websites, decided I needed to read some books to learn more as quickly as possible! I read three books: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs, Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey, & Shop Smart, Save More: Learn The Grocery Game and Save Hundreds of Dollars a Month. Each book was very different, so I thought I'd share my opinions- I hope they can help you!
Let me first say what each book had in common: they all promoted their own coupon websites and they all taught about how to get coupons, organize them and shop with them to save on your grocery bill. The Coupon Mom gave a thorough analysis of couponing, but in my opinion the book's topic was more on frugal budgeting. It spent way too much time stating the obvious and talking to me like I was a five year old.

If you're looking for a basic review of how to grocery shop/a cookbook, this may be for you. The author do cover in depth about how to cook around your new budgeting system: suggests budget breakfasts like 1 cup oatmeal with 8 oz. milk ($0.20), 2 pieces wheat toast ($0.20), 8 oz. orange juice ($0.16). One whole chapter is devoted to saving on each of the following: meat, produce, dairy and treats.

The Best reason to buy this book: It is thorough and orderly. It covers the topic in depth. It also discusses organic products in depth and contains a valuable appendix with companies that mail coupons in response to an E-mail request via their website.

The best reason to pass on this book: It's dull and gives too much information for my taste. I mentioned a chapter devoted to produce, dairy, etc. The dairy chapter contained tips like "making your own yogurt or using nonfat dry milk." Ack! If I needed to do so, I would do it, but I prefer to buy my yogurt, hopefully cheaply with coupons. This book had the broadest approach to grocery shopping in general, which for some, may be appreciated. For a Mom in a hurry like me, I don't necessarily need to read obvious tips like, "don't shop when you're hungry".

3.0 out of 5 stars Books OK, but Website, March 6, 2010

Couponing and the book will work. Number one rule is that you have to do it! The more effort you put into it the bigger the return. How much extra work do you want to do? How valuable is your time?

4.0 out of 5 stars Strategic Shopping, January 22, 2010
In the past few months I've read seven books on saving money at the grocery store and have been able to save $20 to $40 on each shopping trip. While each book gave new ideas, "The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills In Half" is probably the most comprehensive.

Stephanie Nelson begins her book by explaining various shopping styles and then makes a convincing case for shopping at wholesale clubs. She then explains how you can save when you buy meats, organic foods, dairy products and beauty products.

While a lot of this book is about clipping coupons, some of the information is more about a back-to-basics approach. Do you really want to wash your own lettuce, repackages bulk meats, make your own tortilla chips, make milk from powdered milk and shred your own cheese? I know I don't but I could be saving even more money if I was willing to give up some convenience foods. I also won't be giving up my Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract for the 16-ounce bottle at Costco. Yes it is cheaper but there is a great difference in flavor. Yes I've done some taste tests with the cheaper vanilla.

So while you read this book you can take all your personal preferences into consideration. Sometimes saving a few pennies just isn't worth the inconvenience. I will say however I use her advice about using baking soda to scrub pots and pans.

Some of the most valuable information in this book is the websites where you can find printable coupons. There is a list of websites in the back of the book. There is also some information on how to use the author's website which I found to be useful.

One of the things I think is amazing is how Stephanie Nelson can remember all the prices of all the foods she is buying. She saves even more money when she finds a price discrepancy.

While this book is helpful I'd encourage you to also buy the following books:

Cut it Out and Start Saving: A Guide to Effectively Using Coupons and Obtaining Money from Unexpected Resources

Better Groceries for Less Cash

Greatest Secrets of the Coupon Mom

How to Receive Free Groceries

20 Grocery Store Savings Ideas: Grocery Coupon Savings Tips For Those Grocery Shopping On A Budget

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Helpful Book: From OverSpender to Frugality Blogger!, December 2, 2010
There was a time when I would walk up to the checkout at the grocery store and pray that my bill would PLEASE be under $200...Pretty please? That's $200 a week. You see our budget was $150 a week, but it was unrealistic for us. I could never stick to it. So I would pray for $200. $50 more wouldn't make that much of a difference right? Wrong.

I had wanted to get into the whole coupon game for a long time, but every time I started I would get so overwhelmed. Or I would go on a health kick and think that there is no way we could eat healthy and use coupons. I mean coupons are just for junk food! Right? Wrong.

There was a shift in how we handled our finances in our household and all of a sudden that $150 budget I had set up for groceries? Well, I was suddenly being forced to stick to it. Which meant I really needed to rethink how I grocery shopped.

I have to be honest here, it was more her website that helped me initially, but when I picked up the book and read it through... it all came together.

So much so that I myself am now somewhat of a coupon queen. I even have my own frugality blog (linking it here seems spammy though...you can google family friendly frugality to find it), where I share great deals and money saving tips. Oh how my life has changed because of the Coupon Mom!

If you are down on your luck and struggling to make ends meet, or just need a bit of help with your grocery bill...I suggest you buy this book. It will MORE than pay for itself. If you can't afford the book, check out her site. She has most of what is explained in the book on her site as well.

From grocery store flunkie to frugality blogger...if that's not a testimonial to the power of this book...I'm not quite sure what else could be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new information, January 9, 2010
Colorado Carole (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I am a moderate coupon user, and the book did have new ideas for using coupons that I didn't realize. I like the idea of emailing companies to get free coupons, and the list of companies and the websites that will send coupons is really helpful. I also like the detailed chapters on other ways to save besides using coupons--like what the best deals really are at warehouse clubs and even how to save on organic food. The book was also really easy to read. Well worth the money in my opinion!

2.0 out of 5 stars KCL is much better!, June 13, 2011
I bought this book at the same time I bought "The Krazy Coupon Lady: Pick Another Checkout Lane Honey", KCL was defiantly more clear and spoke to me, The Coupon Mom was not as exciting or as easy to interpret I thought. Its not bad, its just alright, lots of information on grocery shopping in there I didn't believe I absolutely needed, and less info about couponing that I would have liked to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious, detailed, focused, accurate information, June 26, 2011
I've purchased several books on saving money and specifically many on couponing and saving money at the grocery store, because our food budget is the largest part of our expenditures over which we have flexibility. This book has far more detail, and demonstrates a greater range, than the other books I've purchased. Some areas I skipped because they don't apply to me (I don't shop at warehouse type stores like Costco, and I don't have small children) but I found greatly useful information in the chapters that did apply to me. Just a few tips alone saved me money right away, before I even finished reading the book. Out of the 10 or so books I've bought on this subject, this is one of my top three favorites, the other two being "Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey" by Joanie Demers and "Cut Your Grocery Bill In Half With America's Cheapest Family" by Steve & Annette Economides. The "Coupon Mom" book has way more detail on every aspect of saving money on grocery items, practical tips, and examples. Every book pushes their own system and their own website - that's just a reality of how-to books these days - so that doesn't bother me so much. I don't even follow her system, but that didn't diminish the usefulness of the information in the book. This is probably not the best starter book, because it dives right into great detail, but it's one you will want after reading some of the lighter, breezier ones out there that don't give you enough information. This is more reference, more for someone serious about getting every aspect of their budget under control, and really a well-put together book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Title!!, February 16, 2011
The book is more about common sense information about saving money. However, I was dissappointed in the book because I bought it specifically for couponing. I guess I'll have to end up buying yet another book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Save Time and Money, June 20, 2010
Twenty years ago, when I was newly-wed and had a lot more time than money, I adhered to a overwhelmingly complex system of couponing in order to shave every cent I could off our grocery bills. As our bankroll grew and our free-time shrank, that system was gradually abandoned along the way. What I like most about this book is that it shows you how to save money even if you haven't much time to spend clipping coupons. "Busy" shoppers will learn how a mere five minutes of planning before a shopping trip can reduce their grocery bill by 20-25%, even if they never touch a pair of scissors. "Rookie" shoppers will learn new tips to shave their grocery bill by 40-50% by redeeming manufacturer's coupons when products are already on sale. And veteran couponers will learn how to combine these saving strategies with advertised specials, electronic coupons, clearance sales, and rebate offers to "make every bite a bargain" and routinely save up to 90% off their grocery bill. The author's methods are very user friendly, no matter what your shopping style. Even if you adopt only one or two of her suggestions, apply them faithfully and you will quickly earn back the cost of the book.

Jennifer Flanders
Author of LOVE YOUR HUSBAND/LOVE YOURSELF

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find!, June 16, 2011
I'm only halfway through this book and it's more than paid for itself. So many great tips I hadn't considered and I had been couponing for over a year. Can't wait to see how much more I can save!