5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Practical and Wise Counsel
Courage and Calling by Gordon Smith may well be the timeliest book for many in this day of economic and social turmoil. The sub-title of the book gives its focus Embracing Your God-Given Potential.

Published on August 16, 2011 by A. Morgan

The book can be written in under 100 pages. It's a bear to read through 260 pages.
I read through the whole thing only because a friend gave me this book. It was a slog to finish it.

Published 1 month ago by W. Lo

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Practical and Wise Counsel, August 16, 2011
A. Morgan (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential (Paperback)

I have taught for many years that Christians have three callings in their lives; to be a Christian; what they do each day / their role in society; our calling to our family, children, neighbors and friends. Smith lays out a similar three fold calling for each of us:

1. To be a Christian
2. The specific call of purpose, mission; a reason for being
3. The call we face each day in response to the multitude demands on our lives.

This book focuses on the second calling - of purpose, mission and reason for being. As Smith writes We long to find and do work that is meaningful, that makes a difference and needs to be done.

In order to being thinking about this Smith, rightly, points out that we need to have a healthy theology of work. Work is given to us by another, by God who is our creator. Thus our work is not our god; it is given to us as a gift, as something for which we are stewards..... We are called to work but we are not called only to work... A biblical theology of work, then includes the explicit call for regular Sabbath rest....We are not workers; we are, rather, children of God who are called to work.

This is an important distinction for Smith because he goes on to say that each person has a fundamental calling or vocation. And this is, more than anything else, what each of us must discover. However, calling and vocation is much deeper and all encompassing than a career or occupation. To fulfill your vocation and calling through an occupation is a wonderful and treasured gift. For many, however, a job is a means of supporting life and family, getting whatever work they can and it may not be their vocation or calling. For some, they may not discover or begin their calling until after they retire.

Smith outlines the process and thinking needed to begin to discover the call and vocation that God has for you and it is a process and way of thinking which is so important for each believer to undertake and discover. God has a calling and vocation for each of us and we must intentionally seek it in whatever place we may be in right now.

If you or a friend has found themselves without a job or at a crossroads, then this is an ideal book to read now. If anyone ever says to you, or you think to yourself "I don't know what God is calling me to do" then read this book. It is clear, practical and wise counsel.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian Ministry Student, February 8, 2013
I am learning so much about my calling in ministry because of this book and I am learning more about who I am in Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearity, February 5, 2013
Wow! Great definition of the terms. Not ambiguous and well thought out. Anyone needing clear direction will benifit from this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much about courage - Title misleading to attract attention, June 14, 2014
W. Lo (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Basic concept is to know yourself and be true to yourself as God will not ask you to be someone He did not create you to be. The rest of the book goes on and on to offer advice on how to live this out. 3 stars since there are some gems buried in the fluff and sometimes trite advice. There is only one chapter that really talks about courage but it was pretty weak. Would give 1 star if not for some of the gems. Back cover says new edition has been expanded. Hopefully the next edition can be more concise. More words not equal better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book, May 1, 2014
With this world passing us by so quickly, Gordon T. Smith encourages us to meditate and embrace our personal calling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, April 30, 2014
My daughter finished reading this book and found it to be absolutely inspiring. This book come highly recommended by people I respect for their devotion and determination. I look forward to reading it myself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas and concepts, but very "fluffy"!, February 25, 2014
This book was used as part of the text of a Christian college course that I was taking, in conjunction with "The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church." This book presents some great ideas and concepts. However, the book has a lot of filler material that just repeats and reiterates the introduction of each section over and over again without adding much to the content of the book itself. I found that the important parts of the book were emphasized in some way within the text. Reading this book and fully understanding the concepts could likely be accomplished by anyone just reading the opening and concluding paragraph of each outlined section, and filing the gaps between by only reading text offset in bold or italics.

As I said - the book has some great ideas and concepts. If you want to learn more about your calling and the talents that God has given you, this book is an OK place to start. Just be careful that you don't bore yourself or burn out trying to get through it. It does have a lot of great information and explanations of vocation vs. calling - probably one of the best contrasted definitions I have ever seen.

Overall, I am giving this book a rating of 2 stars. The reasons I am giving this rating are as follows:

- This is not a book I could recommend to anyone to read.
- This is not a book that I would have finished reading had it not been required reading for a college class.
- This is not a book that I will likely ever read again.
- This is a book that I may reference or quote from on occasion.
- This is a book with some very good content, but lacks good presentation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thoughtful, February 6, 2014
I looked at a number of books on vocation before choosing to read this one. Based on the chapter titles and so forth, it seemed like the best fit for me. And it really was, I think. (OK, so I haven't read all the other ones to compare.) But, for instance, I took a long pause before reading chapter 8, about facing your fears, because I was SO AFRAID to face my fears! I knew it would be hard - but that's kind of exactly why it's what I needed. If you have a lot of psychological and emotional issues surrounding vocation, this book can probably help you as you explore them. It's very balanced. And I think the author is just a genuinely nice guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courage & Calling, December 27, 2013
What a great book! I would recommend this to anyone who has a need to know what they should be truly doing with their life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, November 16, 2013
Well written and easy to read. Nice perspective and thought provoking. Enjoyed reading it and would definitely like to read more from the author.

Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential
Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential by Gordon T. Smith (Paperback - May 31, 2011)
$17.00 $14.80